Post by I'm Murrin »

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sounds creepy!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Well... Who knows what it suggests...perhaps the location of one of the Horcrux or the last battle locale?
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

1 result for: hallows
View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | All Reference | the Web

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source hal·low (hāl'ō) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. hal·lowed, hal·low·ing, hal·lows

To make or set apart as holy.
To respect or honor greatly; revere.
"Deathly Hallows".......hmmmmmmmm
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Well, I read an article on MUgglenet several years back that connected the Veil to Christ.

Hallows could also to refer to Halloween, the night Harry's parents were killed, and the night magic is at it's most powerful.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Or it could refer to just about anything....she is a crafty little devil, so she is!!!

ImageImage
Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Spring »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Can't wait. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Didn't Harry's family live in G-dric's Hollow? Could Hollow and Hallows be related in anyway?
paradox
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by paradox »

sounds a bit.. corny.... sorry...

Deathly hollows just seems so... lame...

think of it:

philosopher's/ sorcerer's stone

chamber of secrets

prisoner of azkaban

goblet of fire

order of the phoenix

half-blood prince

deathly hallows?

oh well, as long as the series gets finished...
And I swear
I'll never do it again
Unless you kinda liked it...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:Didn't Harry's family live in G-dric's Hollow? Could Hollow and Hallows be related in anyway?
I hate to admit it, but, that was my initial gut reaction. However, I let go it really quickly because it just didn't feel right (Which probably means it's closer than any of my other feelings, LOL)
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

hal·low (hāl'ō) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. hal·lowed, hal·low·ing, hal·lows

To make or set apart as holy.
To respect or honor greatly; revere.

"Hollow" in the british place context..is like a "neighborhood", as I understand it.

So it seems like the title infers Harry dealing with deadly things, people, or places that are revered... perhaps thius refers to the Horcruxes.

ImageImage
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A "hollow" is another word for a valley. The movies portray the Wesley homestead as being in an isolated country area. I don't think "hallow" and "hollow" are intended to be similar.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

dlbpharmd wrote:A "hollow" is another word for a valley. The movies portray the Wesley homestead as being in an isolated country area. I don't think "hallow" and "hollow" are intended to be similar.
agreed. The more I think of ut, the more I think the title refers to the Horcruxes themselves.

ImageImage
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A Gunslinger wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:A "hollow" is another word for a valley. The movies portray the Wesley homestead as being in an isolated country area. I don't think "hallow" and "hollow" are intended to be similar.
agreed. The more I think of ut, the more I think the title refers to the Horcruxes themselves.
I agree.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

dlbpharmd wrote:
A Gunslinger wrote:
I agree.
Ok, so in what way are they referring to the horcruxes? Harry still hasn't found all of them and they've been unusual items in-of-themselves so they could basically be anything.
But then Hallows could be something in the magical world that we have yet to know what.
It could be something akin to the phrase "these hallowed halls..." meaning that the final battle could take place in a church or cathedral or someplace. Voldymort would want to hide his horcruxes in places that a Wizard would never think to look. Placing them among muggles and such.

My two cents for what it's worth... :-|
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I was only guessing...but the definition of "hallows" suggestes a thing, not neccesarily a place that is, held in regard or revered? What would be more revered (to his followers and minions) the things that hold LV's partilaed out soul?

Again, I freely and fearlessly admit I could be way off. I have never guessed correctly with her.

ImageImage
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

HOLY CRAP:

deathly
Main Entry: death·ly
Pronunciation: 'deth-lE
Function: adjective
1 : FATAL
2 : of, relating to, or suggestive of death <a deathly pallor>
- deathly adverb

And According to wikipedia, the "hallows" in All Hallows Eve and All Hallows Day means "saints".

deathly = fatal
Hallows = dead saints = ghosts = revenants

The Fatal Revenants?

Cor!
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Here's Another article looking at the "saint" perspective:

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Coming Sort Of Soonish
December 22nd, 2006 at 13:00 by Stuart Heritage

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. Get used to saying that - Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is the official title for the final Harry Potter book, so it's inevitable that Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows will outsell The Bible at some point.

JK Rowling and the Harry Potter publishers yesterday announced the title of the final Harry Potter book yesterday via an annoyingly complicated online game of hangman - Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. Now, that's all we know about the final Harry Potter book - there isn't even a release date yet - and it's leading to all sorts of speculation from the children and adults who can't read proper books yet that make up the Harry Potter fan army. Deathly Hallows? Sounds a bit gloomy - perhaps Harry Potter really will die at the end of the book like everyone says. And just what the hell is a 'deathly hallows' anyway? However, hecklerspray can exclusively reveal that Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is a hoax name to give the impression that Harry Potter will come to a nasty end - the real title of the book is Harry Potter And The Lovely Rainbow-Coloured Munchkin Rabbits Of Bibbledy Bobbledy Lane.

OK, OK - while we were getting caught up in the blistering excitement of JK Rowling sort of having a vaguely Harry Potter-themed dream once, we missed the bigger picture. That bigger picture was the unveiling of the title of the final Harry Potter book - Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. Which, as far as big pictures go, is pretty shit; but you can guarantee that millions of children right now are scrawling half-arsed crayon pictures of Harry Potter having a fight with Lord Voldemort so they can post it to JK Rowling with a note reading 'pleze maik dis va cuvva of Hari Pota n Da Defli Hello'. ABC reports:

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series. No publication date or other details were offered. Rowling is still working on the book, she explained on her Web site in an entry posted early Thursday.

So that's it. The last Harry Potter book has a name. But what does it mean? Something about dead saints, obviously, so we're expecting the villains to be All Saints, destroying everything in their path as revenge for the world ignoring their rubbish comeback album. And from the title can we guess what will happen in Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows? Will Harry Potter die like the man from the Carry On films said? Will Harry Potter kiss more girls like he does in the trailer for the new movie? But most of all, will JK Rowling make enough money from sales of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows that she can finally accomplish her dream of building a machine that uses the sun's power to destroy anybody who doesn't really like Harry Potter that much?

Now that everybody knows that Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is called Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, everyone can get on with the rest of their lives again. Emma Watson can continue being ignored by boys, JK Rowling can continue to bitch and whine about how models are thinner than her and Daniel Radcliffe can take off all his clothes and blind more horses with sharp metal rods. And you? Well you can play JK Rowling's special little Harry Potter book title guessing game, can't you. ABC has the details:

If you go to jkrowling.com, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room you'll see a window, a door and a mirror. In the mirror, you'll see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. They click on the center of the door next to the mirror and a wreath appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you'll see a garland. Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door. Click on the wrapped gift behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.

Here's a hint - the title of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. Good luck chums!

WF: Harry Potter and the Fatal Revenant? Can you imagine....
...Harry lifts his wand and shouts "Stupify!"... Snape brushes aside the curse with a flick of his wand and utters, "Don't Touch Me".

ImageImage
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Wayfriend wrote:HOLY CRAP:

deathly
Main Entry: death·ly
Pronunciation: 'deth-lE
Function: adjective
1 : FATAL
2 : of, relating to, or suggestive of death <a deathly pallor>
- deathly adverb

And According to wikipedia, the "hallows" in All Hallows Eve and All Hallows Day means "saints".

deathly = fatal
Hallows = dead saints = ghosts = revenants

The Fatal Revenants?

Cor!
Best. Post. Ever!

:mrgreen:
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

If you go to jkrowling.com, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room you'll see a window, a door and a mirror. In the mirror, you'll see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. They click on the center of the door next to the mirror and a wreath appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you'll see a garland. Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door. Click on the wrapped gift behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.
I couldn't get past the "farthest doorknob" part. :evil:

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”