Your Sci Fi/Fantasy author dinner guests

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

danlo
Lord

Your Sci Fi/Fantasy author dinner guests

Post by danlo »

You're about to have a wonderful dinner, drinks and three hours of conversation with 5-8 of your favorite authors in these genre. Tell us who they would be, they have to be alive, and how the conversation might go...

I've got six so far:
SRD
Walter Jon Williams
David Zindell
George R. R. Martin
Dan Simmons
and just added the brilliant Iain M. Banks

I think my writing skills might be sharpened by osmosis, just by hanging with this crew-and I bet Martin, Williams and Banks are hilarious after tipping a few. 8)
Last edited by danlo on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Jeff Noon
China Mieville

George RR Martin
Steven Erikson

The latter two to discuss the art of organising a gazillion story threads. Add China to the mix to fervently put down their 'classic' form of fantasy.

I'd invite Stephen King to talk about music with.

I'm sure I'm forgetting several more interesting guests...maybe after a few more wines I'll think of some.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I've thought a little about seat placement-to my right would be SRD, of course and next to him Walter Jon Williams since they're both from NM and practice martial arts. On my left would be David Zindell (since I have so many questions to ask him) and next to him would be Dan Simmons since they both live in or near Boulder, CO, began writing at about the same time and have alot of the same overarching "themes" in their work. Martin would have to sit next to Simmons since they both have written "vampire style" books and then Banks because I'd love to see the interchange between him and Martin, and given Martin's high interest in British history. That would mean Banks would be sitting next to Williams and the high tech, galactic talk would flow (and probably alot of laughs, too-Williams is extremely funny in person).

Other prospective guests-
Gene Wolfe
China Mieville
Ursula K. Le Guin
Patricia McKillip
Steven Erikson
Last edited by danlo on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I've never been one to investigate authors' actual lives, so just going by the books they've written, i'd have...

China Meiville
Anne McCaffrey
Terry Pratchett
SRD
Ursula LeGuin
Julian May
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

SRD
GRRM
Stephen King
Christopher Paloni (sp?) So i can argue about Eragon

Cant think of anymore heh.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Christopher Paloni? 8O Wouldn't he have to sit at the kiddie table with Tad Williams and David Brin's smugness? :P
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Donaldson, George Martin, R. Scott Bakker.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Loredoctor
Lord

Re: Your Sci Fi/Fantasy author dinner guests

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:they have to be alive
Youy've just removed half of my list. :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

R. Scott Bakker
Chuck Palahniuk
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Not Wolfe Syl? Lore we'll have to create a ressurecting your fav Sci-Fi/Fantasy author for dinner thread! :P Tolkien and Herbert would be interesting together...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

As much as I like Wolfe, I don't think we'd have much to talk about. But I could definately see me knocking a few back with Chuck and Scott.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:Not Wolfe Syl? Lore we'll have to create a ressurecting your fav Sci-Fi/Fantasy author for dinner thread! :P Tolkien and Herbert would be interesting together...
Tolkein, Herbert, Sagan, Wells, Stapledon . . .
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Donaldson is by all accounts a very personable guy, no?
Alsem
Stonedownor

Post by Alsem »

Lol, interesting tread.
For me it would be :

Gene Wolfe
Guy Gavriel Kay
GRR Martin
Robin Hobb
Neil Gaiman
SRD of course
Gemmell (wish he still were with us)
Stephen King could be fun
My heart still possess a wondrous shining place
Where dwells love, immaculate to behold
And this treasure, more precious than gold
I fear to lose in Time and insidious solace

Visit my Blog
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

-Donaldson
-Lloyd Alexander
-R Scott Bakker
-Robert Anton Wilson
-TH White (who says they can't be dead :P This is fantasy! If The Once and Future King will again awaken, why not the author of The Once and Future King?)
-Luo Guanzhong (ok, not really fantasy, but as close as I can get from China), and an interpreter.

Donaldson's something like our patron author at this site! How could any of you refuse him a meal!? Alexander's one of my favorites from childhood, so I'd be happy to reciprocate his kindness and chat with him. After them I was pretty much going for creativity. I'll probably want to add some fine ladies into the discussion, but I'll leave it at this for now.

The real question is what sorta stuff I'd be expected to serve as the presumed host. I suppose mead would be the beverage of choice for fantasy authors, and the sci-fi people would get...crappy tasting nutrient-rich astronaut meals!

EDIT-Heyo Alselm, can't help but notice you have a berserk avatar! I used to have a pic of guts in my sig, but I got rid of it because it took up too much space. Anyway, good to see a fellow fan!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sorry to break it to you but ...supposedly, R. A. Wilson just died...:-| (yes! I'm with you...I'd love to see the way the man's brain worked.)
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

danlo wrote:Sorry to break it to you but ...supposedly, R. A. Wilson just died...:-| (yes! I'm with you...I'd love to see the way the man's brain worked.)
Well, TH White and Guanzhong are dead too. What do I care if Wilson's dead?

I figure it's all hypothetical anyway. Besides, this is sci-fi and fantasy - all i need is some necros and time machines and I can work everything out.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

true... :biggrin: 'guess I'd have to find a way to work Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Lucious Shepard and Tony Daniel into the mix too...)
Last edited by danlo on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alsem
Stonedownor

Post by Alsem »

Holsety wrote:EDIT-Heyo Alsem, can't help but notice you have a berserk avatar! I used to have a pic of guts in my sig, but I got rid of it because it took up too much space. Anyway, good to see a fellow fan!
Hi Holsety, good to meet a Berserk's fan. And for this not to be a total flood, I'll say that Kentaro Miura our Fantasy author from Japan should be an interesting guest. And I DO have many questions to ask him :biggrin:
My heart still possess a wondrous shining place
Where dwells love, immaculate to behold
And this treasure, more precious than gold
I fear to lose in Time and insidious solace

Visit my Blog
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Reply to Danlo

Post by taraswizard »

Danlo wrote yesterday
Wouldn't he have to sit at the kiddie table with Tad Williams and David Brin's smugness?
LOL :D Danlo you're very funny.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”