Constant Cravings

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Infelice
Lord

Constant Cravings

Post by Infelice »

At the moment I'm in the midst of an intense craving for cherries and also grape tomatoes. Anyone would swear I was pregnant!!!!!! I have consumed punnet after punnet of delicious sweet grape tomatoes and I hate to think how many kilos of cherries have passed my lips while sitting at the computer. Luckily they are healthy and nutritious....I have managed to lose weight while maintaining a pretty sedentary lifestyle.
But I'm just holding my breath, cos I know an uncontrollable chocolate craving is lurking somewhere in the background just waiting to pounce on me.
Has anyone else suffered from similar cravings for particular types of food?
Have you had any weird food combination cravings.....a few of the moms here might have some interesting stories to tell and the dads for that matter. ;)
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I had plenty cravings when I was pregnant: oranges, celery with pimento cheese, mexican food.

What I would like to know is why we never get tired of junk food? You know how, if you try to eat well, you get tired of eating the salads and the raw vegetables no matter what you do to make them different and tasty. It seems like I never get tired of fast food or chocolate or anything else that is less than healthy for you.
The King has one more move.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Yeah, I was wondering if you raised a kid on icecream and told him that carrots and whatnot were desserts... but only after they finished their fudge 8O Would they start to crave healthy foods?

But anyhow, I get cravings for carbs! One of my mom's friends sells fresh baked homemade bread every saturday it's amazing and gone by Monday! Pasta too, I just can't get enough. Today I had an irrestible craving for DQ's buffalo wings with ranch... laaaaaa

Pie and Cake
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I too, quite often, succumb to the lure of fast food. I think its because there is usually a high fat, high salt and high sugar content in those kind of foods, they have a stronger effect on our tastebuds.
I remember at high school in biology doing a tastebud test ..... testing which part of the tongue could detect saltiness and sweetness etc. If I recall correctly, the tastebuds that detect sweetness and salt are towards the tip of the tongue, I think. These tastes give off a more pleasurable response than others. That might be why we get addicted to junk food. Our tastebuds get conditioned to enjoying the pleasurable or satisfying sensations that sweet and salty foods give us.

I used to regularly have food tasting days with my students at school, especially when studying different cultures. You could almost always tell the kids that had a high junk food content diet.....they refused to taste anything that did not have a high fat, high sugar or high salt content. Some were even driven to gagging when trying different foods....they just couldn't stand the taste.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The Leper Fairy wrote:Yeah, I was wondering if you raised a kid on icecream and told him that carrots and whatnot were desserts... but only after they finished their fudge 8O Would they start to crave healthy foods?
Haha, "finish your chocolate fudge cake and custard, or I won't let you have any broccoli" :lol:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Umm, I hate to admit this, but I have eaten junk food often enough to get tired of it (not to mention how fast you get tired of, say, McDonald's if you work there).

Also, your body does get physically addicted to raised levels of sugars and carbs (raises blood sugar, blood pressure levels, and such and causes an actual crash if your body doesn't get what it's used to).

I often crave cheese (though I don't really care much for processed cheese like Kraft. bleh. can handle it in a sandwich, but that's about it). When I'd, uh, get the munchies, tho, just about anything was fair game. Vanilla milkshakes or icecream sandwiches, funions or any other kind of chip, any hostess snack cake, crackers, etc.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.โ€
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I will get a craving every so often for nachos with the hot peppers. If I'm at a ballgame I'll usually get an order. When I'm at the movies, it's Raisinets.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Caer Sylvanus wrote: Also, your body does get physically addicted to raised levels of sugars and carbs (raises blood sugar, blood pressure levels, and such and causes an actual crash if your body doesn't get what it's used to)
Yeah, this kind of addiction is like a precurser to the onset of Type 2 Diabetes that usually effects people who have diets high in sugar and other foods with a high glycaemic (sp) value.
Caer Sylvanus wrote: I often crave cheese.
I heard a discussion on the radio a while back now, about how cheese has some ingredient or additive that can actually make people become addicted to it. I wish I could remember exactly what it was. :? I have a real weakness for cheese and quite a lot of dairy foods, but I avoid them like the plague. It does weird stuff to my body chemistry. I only allow myself to eat the really disgusting fat free kind of cheese, that way I still get the calcium I need but I don't over-indulge on the dairy.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

sometimes i crave kfc, but mostly its stuff like brie, gouda, meal mates crackers, ploughmans lightly malted rye bread, garlica salami and dried mango slices. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mango slices.

sum sui generis
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

variol son wrote:dried mango slices. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mango slices.
sum sui generis
double mmmmmmmmmmmm
Samadhi Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Samadhi Foul »

I sometimes crave banana chips, and other dehydrated fruits. Mmmmmmmmmm............. Orange chewies......... Apple crunchies.......... Grape raisins.......... *has a drooling fit*

Well, I guess I just crave trail mix. Hmm, I think I'll get a bag now. :)
Beware of cutlery. It is violent. And sharp.

Vayne has a good siggy-sense. ;)
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Turiya: "I crave pie."
Anyone: "Well, that's no surprise."
Samadhi Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Samadhi Foul »

Hmm, I'm craving roast pork on pizza. :?
Beware of cutlery. It is violent. And sharp.

Vayne has a good siggy-sense. ;)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

if i have a craving it will most likely be for chocolate .. i dont crave veggies or fruits .. cos their readily accessible!!

i love brie .. with water crackers!! i also love dried tofu! asian style .. cos its so aniseedy and salty sweet .. but not in a sugar sickly sweet way .. ;) in a yummy good way ;)

i will often get cravings late at night .. which is the worst time to eat .. lol .. and i will want avocado and cheese on rice crackers!!! with a very light beer or a cider .. or a nice light white wine .. specifically that .. and umm .. play a game of chess to boot!

I crave chess quite a lot .. especially if i have been deprived ..

I also used to crave star trek .. lol .. and then Buffy .. and now .. I am craving Roswell and The Pretender ..

I hang out till they air .. and then the craving is satiated ;) .. lol ..

I tend to crave salty things lots too .. like Sakata rice crackers .. cos they are the crunchiest delights in existence .. I love crunchy things!!

when I have breakfast .. I even cook my toast twice so it is extra crunchy!! .. lol ..

somthings no matter how often you have them .. are still cravable ;)

i love rockmelon and mangoes!!!!!!!!! yummmers!!!!!!!!!

cherries are ok .. but if only they could come seeded .. without the pesky stones in them!!

maybe Meagan would agree to genetically modify .. cherries ;) lol

i love pizza .. homemade is best!! yum!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

You're just one massive craving machine aren't you Sky. :)

I also have developed a craving for smoked oysters in barbecued sauce...the John West variety.
Put them on Kingsbread and I'm in heaven!!!!!!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mm .. sounds good ..

*immediately adds them to craving programme* :wink: ;)

i am a programmable craving machine!!! 8O LOL
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Just so long as you're programmable. :haha:
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

my other half often complains of programme flaws
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

lol!!!!! You've made my day Sky. :D
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

why thankyou .. that is quite a compliment coming from earthpower incarnate ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to โ€œThe Galleyโ€