The Last Book opinion...

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Should Usivius buy and read DH now?

What?! You don't have it already? Buy it NOW!!!!
56%
Very good book! But don't panic, you can wait. -- but be wary of spoilers.
31%
Good book, but don't lose sleep over it.
13%
Wait for paperback.
No votes

Total votes: 16

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

The Last Book opinion...

Post by Usivius »

Ok, I have not picked up the last book yet. The reason is simple: My wife wants to read the 6th one with me. You see, after seeing the last movie (OotP) she really wants to read the books now, however (thnkfully for me) she doesn't want to read the ones she has seen the movie for...
:roll:
Anyway, she is not much of a reader, and as we have done in the past, (with Mordant's Need) she wants to read the book with me (we each read 4 pages aloud and pass to the other ...)
Although quite a lovey-dovey situation, it does present an odd predicament for me: do I try and 'sneak' reading Deathly Hallows' on teh subway, etc? Or can it wait a few weeks?

Normally I am not a "rush out and get the book now" kinda guy, but I really don't want to hear any spoilers accidentally, especially if the book is great.
So, a poll is in order:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Well not wanting to read any spoilers means for you to stay far away from this forum as possible... (just kidding)... don't highlight the spoilers and you'll be fine.

Seems that your "not much of a reader" of a wife is getting caught up in Rowling's spell like thousands/millions of others.

Cool. :biggrin:
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

If you don't read it now the spoilers will get you inevitably. :(
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Usivius, does reading with your wife mean she expects you to not read it on your own first? 'cause, I'm with Jenn. Shoot, here in Gator Town, t-shirts that said "Dumbledore dies on page 596" were quite popular on campus a few years ago...

:(
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I'd say not only do you have to be weary on the 'net of spoilers, but, everytime you turn on the TV or the radio, or leave your house.

This morning on the radio, morning talk show, they blurted out wether Harry lives or dies in the book (I'm a slow reader and not a whole lot of time to devote to reading it, so, I'm only on page 140 of 779). When one of the talk show hosts, verbally raised her eyebrows, the host who spit out the spoiler popped off with "They've have the whole weekend to read 780 pages, if they don't already know, they aren't much of a fan, now are they"? Then the guy went on to say in a little bit, they were going to list off all the deaths, I had to turn the damned thing off, and I just can't understand why people are so frivalous with spoilers and don't even warn you, or make sure you're OK with hearing them. Honestly, why do people get a charge out of messing up someone's enjoyment of something like that, is their life really that empty and meaningless they have to spoil book plots?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

That's why I did nothing but read on Saturday. So that I could find it all out for myself.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:That's why I did nothing but read on Saturday. So that I could find it all out for myself.
Even if I read fast enough and had the time and lack of interuptions, I still would've had to put the book down and walk away after the first 4 or 5 chapters in order to gain my composure.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

That's also why I am going to give it a few days before I even "spoiler" anything. Out of respect for those here who need more time to get through it.

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

well sh!t... I'm just going to have to buy and read te darn thing... I hate spoilers.
And, no, my wife doesn't expect me NOT to read it, it's just taht I likly won't be reading it at home, as my usual reading time (10-11 after the little one has gong to bed and other necessary stuff is done) will be taken up with out movey-dovey reading. Do reading on the subway to and from work is my time I guess,,,,

:)

thanks all.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

If your wife fully knows you are reading it away from her, go ahead. But if you are sneak-reading, I'd say don't. Always good to remain honest with your partner. Even on the little things.

And, though I was celebrating the year anniversary of my first date with my girlfriend, and didn't have a LOT of time read, I did opt out of going to visit her parents and stayed home to job hunt as well as read Harry Potter. And I'm still not done. I'm a little over 200 pages from being done, however, and spent most of yesterday reading. But yeah...I can only do so much reading in one sitting until I find myself having trouble focusing. But I have been reading it every spare moment. I want to finish the sucker. I want to know what happens before more spoilers get in my head.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

thanks. no, i wasn't going to hide it from my wife. :lol:
I think I am will be buying it today...

But I am finding it interesting, as we read HBP together, how many potential clues there are in this book, about various things.
I am more convinced than ever that Snape is a good guy (albeit, torn).

Can't wait to sink my teeth in to it!

:)

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”