Discussion: Dissection Format and Rules

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Discussion: Dissection Format and Rules

Post by Menolly »

Having never taken part in dissections before I am completely open towards suggestions. Looking at dissections done in the past, it appears each individual chapter dissection was given two full weeks for discussion. With only ten or so participants in these dissections, do y'all agree we should stick with two full weeks, or is a shorter time frame desired?

As far as the format of the dissections themselves, I think that should totally be left up to the person doing it. If a standard format is requested, please describe the format in detail, and the reasons why it would be preferred.

As far as PM's regarding dissection reminders...how far in advance should they be sent out? As the dissection before the next one is due it posted? Earlier? Later? LMK.

Please address any other concerns I may be totally ignorant of here.

Thanks all!
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

One thing on my mind is... ??? Spoilers??? For references to Deathly Hallows I would think so because not everyone has finished reading it (I've gone through it twice already), but as for the other six and references there of... no, I think spoilers inserted here and there would just muck it all up.
It's safe to assume that 90% of the readers here have already worked their way through all six.
We do need to be careful not to jump ahead in chapters... i.e. discussing this particular scene and then saying: "... whereas later we find in the next two chapters that Harry snogged Hermione behind Ron's back while pinching Ron on the butt and flipping off Snapes with the other hand while giving Professor Sprout a sly wink when Hermione had her eyes closed..."
In other words let the chapter speak for itself and by itself... comparisons to previous chapters should be allowed. But jumping ahead a chapter or two shouldn't be done...

Dissections shouldn't take every single line from every single page/chapter... but important passages should be verbatum and personal thoughts on the events, dialogue. Replies should be the same, keeping in the context (as you see it) but respectfully disagreeing (where applicable) and giving the reasons why.

Going over any of the Thomas Covenant dissections should give one an idea how it all goes.

It's going to be fun.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I am thinking by the time we get to DH, that spoilers probably won't be necessary by then.

By "important passages should be verbatum" are you saying the passage should be quoted before commenting on it? Does everyone else agree?

ITA about comparing to previous chapters being allowed, but explaining foreshadowng by saying what happens later should be avoided.

Any input on how often a new dissection should be due?
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Menolly wrote:I am thinking by the time we get to DH, that spoilers probably won't be necessary by then.

By "important passages should be verbatum" are you saying the passage should be quoted before commenting on it? Does everyone else agree?

ITA about comparing to previous chapters being allowed, but explaining foreshadowng by saying what happens later should be avoided.

Any input on how often a new dissection should be due?
Last dissection I was on generally it was a week per chapter to allow those time to read the new dissection and replies and make their own reply(s).

Far as spoilers for DH what I meant was during the first (oh, say) 4 books there are possible references to what happens in DH and someone reading the DH now may get spoilt

Or not.

Important passages or making refereces to what the dissector feels is a relevant or important passage/paragraph should be written either before the comment or afterwards so that the rest of (us) can know what one is referring to.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

A week then instead of two sounds good to me. Posters can always bump up a thread and comment on it after the week.

Where is Usivius and Sindatur? dlb? Who else wanted to join in?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:A week then instead of two sounds good to me. Posters can always bump up a thread and comment on it after the week.

Where is Usivius and Sindatur? dlb? Who else wanted to join in?
I would love to join in, but, won't have the time available to be reliable, so I can't take on any of the workload of disection or be relied upon to reread. I would more likely be lurking, or merely commenting from memory, if that is allowed.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

You are more than welcome, and I am sure everyone appreciates you knowing it is better to not commit at this time. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Due dates for the first two chapter dissections are posted. Jenn will start us off with her dissection of chapter one on Sunday, the 9th. birdy's chapter two will be due the following Sunday, the 16th. I'll try to PM you a reminder once Jenn's dissection goes up birdy.

I hope by the time birdy's dissection goes up that someone will step forward to claim at least chapter three. Otherwise, I am unsure how to proceed.

As far as the threads themselves. Shall each chapter dissector create a new thread with their dissection, and I'll sticky it for the first week? Or do you think a normal thread will stay close enough to the top of the forum to generate discussion?
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Menolly wrote:Due dates for the first two chapter dissections are posted. Jenn will start us off with her dissection of chapter one on Sunday, the 9th. birdy's chapter two will be due the following Sunday, the 16th. I'll try to PM you a reminder once Jenn's dissection goes up birdy.

I hope by the time birdy's dissection goes up that someone will step forward to claim at least chapter three. Otherwise, I am unsure how to proceed.

As far as the threads themselves. Shall each chapter dissector create a new thread with their dissection, and I'll sticky it for the first week? Or do you think a normal thread will stay close enough to the top of the forum to generate discussion?
Each chapter got it's own thread in previous dissections. This way it prevented confusion and "WHERE IS IT?" hunts by those wishing to comment on that particular chapter of that particular book. I think this would be much easier ... no? :)

sindatur, don't worry ... there are 7 books so you got plenty of time to jump on the bandwagon ... besides no rule says you can't go back and comment/discuss on previously dissected chapters... eh? :D

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Too true Seafoam Understone
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”