Bionic Woman

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Bionic Woman

Post by Fist and Faith »

Starts Sept 26! Looks like she has the eye this time. Heh.
www.nbc.com/Bionic_Woman/
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

OH wow, I didn't realize Starbuck was in it! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"Struggling as a bartender and surrogate mom to her teenage sister..."

That reads about 8.1 on my lame-meter.

I guess "Bob, a transient accidentally crushed by falling trash in Monday's morning pick-up..." didn't focus well.

*checks producer credits* If it wasn't for that, I could ignore the recurring theme of making the formerly male bad-ass a woman.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'll definitely be checking this out.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Looks really, really weak. I'll give it a try, since BSG manages to rise above the lame factor, but I'm expecting this to totally suck.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I downloaded it already.
It sucks.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:LOLS: Well, I'd heard the BSG people were doing a new BW, and was very hopeful. I'll certainly watch at least a few episodes.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Can it really be that bad? The way I see it, the show is bound to be better than 50% of the crap on the air now.
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

I think I'd rather watch the original again.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"Struggling as a bartender and surrogate mom to her teenage sister..."

That's a mission statement, and it's lame. Another Sarah Connor-clone with a BS subplot about empowering wymyn or some crap like that. Not interested. There's so many cool things to be done with the premise (which, to be fair, is relatively weak itself), that it's just sad and weak to fall back on this now-tired cliché.

Look, I'm all for empowered women, but when the first line of a show's plot summary is the above, that completely turns me off.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Cail wrote:"Struggling as a bartender and surrogate mom to her teenage sister..."

That's a mission statement, and it's lame. Another Sarah Connor-clone with a BS subplot about empowering wymyn or some crap like that. Not interested. There's so many cool things to be done with the premise (which, to be fair, is relatively weak itself), that it's just sad and weak to fall back on this now-tired cliché.

Look, I'm all for empowered women, but when the first line of a show's plot summary is the above, that completely turns me off.
Agreed. The empowerment thing can be accopmlished without reaching elbow deep into the scak of cliche's. The whole "single woman on her own " thing has been done to death. I think that's why the character in the NBC show "Medium" was so embraced.

Here is a strong female...empowered...but also part of a family. Her strength is granted via character development, rather than MADe for her via cheap plot point.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

For strong female characters, I'll stick to re-watching Buffy for now... at least until something original comes along, not just another role-remake with a gender-switch.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

There actually was a Bionic Woman series back in the '70s. It wasn't all that good.

What makes BSG so good (for me, at least) is the story. This is why I didn't care to much for this last season; the writing was nowhere near as good as the first two. The source material was a hopelessly cheesy family show; Moore and Eick have done a good job turning BSG into a good political yarn in space.

This just looks like soapboxing, and a me-too reply to the upcoming Sarah Connor Chronicles.
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

The whole "single woman on her own " thing has been done to death.
Done to death? In the last 10 years, I'd agree, but that's because it was so seldom done before that. Strong female characters like Sarah Connor and Ripley were a rarity. Now they're not. Coming up with something original is not in Hollywood's resume. I'll settle for well-written.

BW is not on my watch list because I don't like serious cheese. Fun cheese I can handle, which is how we got interested in Buffy.
ItisWritten
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'll be tuning in out of pure curiosity, just to see what kind of makeover they've done. The Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man were two of my favorite shows as a kid.
Cail wrote:"Struggling as a bartender and surrogate mom to her teenage sister..."

I have to agree, it does sound pretty lame. Like you say, I was hoping for a show that would exploit the cool possibilities (of being a 21st century bionic super agent). I don't want a soap opera about domestic issues.

A bartender? I don't remember what Jaime Sommers's profession was in the original series, but bartender isn't exactly inspiring (no offense to any bartenders).

And it's certainly a far cry from Colonel Steve Austin, experimental test pilot. I did wonder why they decided to revive Bionic Woman instead of Six Million Dollar Man, but I guess it's the female empowerment thing. I'm all for the idea of it, but like Cail said, I wouldn't want the show to become a political soapbox.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A bartender? I don't remember what Jaime Sommers's profession was in the original series, but bartender isn't exactly inspiring (no offense to any bartenders).
She was a professional tennis player.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

FWIW, if anyone remembers the pilot for the original Six Million Dollar Man, it was awesome. The show degenerated from there, but the original premise was really, really cool.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yep. I miss the days when we had a $6M man and a bionic woman and a man from atlantis and a guy who had to wear a watch or else he was invisible and all those kinds of shows. (What others?)

There was sort of a resurgence a while back. We had an early addition and a quantum leap guy and a guy who could do any job. And Knight Rider.

Now we have Heroes. Maybe its all coming back again. A sign of the times ... the world is impossible for regular people, we need superheroes to rescue us, or something.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

You sound a tad sarcastic, Wayfriend. :lol: Am I reading you right?

I just know that bionic guys and gals are darn cool. Yes, even bionic dogs. Remember Max? :)

I don't think I ever saw the pilot for Six Million Dollar Man. :(

Thanks, dlb. Pro tennis player. Hmmm...she could've went back to that after her "operation" and had a stellar career. 200 km/h bionic serve, anyone? :biggrin:
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Just to be clear, I have no issue at all with strong, independent female characters.

But think of the possibilities that today's technology offers for a bionic spy. I don't care about the bionic mom.

Return to “TV Shows”