those who have read fatal revenant

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

renny
Ramen

those who have read fatal revenant

Post by renny »

dont want to read the spoilers but please can you tell me :-

where does it rate with the rest of the chronicles?

what mark out of 10 would you give it ?
TWDuke77
Servant of the Land

Post by TWDuke77 »

For a 'middle' volume I'd say this was one of the very best, 9/10 easily, though I'm sure others will disagree. Put it this way - I couldn't put it down and at certain times whilst reading it I found myself grinning from ear to ear with sheer unadulterated pleasure. If you love the original chronicles, then I'm certain you'll love FR. Think of Runes as a (very long) prologue - with FR we're right back in the thick of things!
'Devalue the object of desire and the pain of loss diminishes' - Patrick Mcgrath
'Funny how secrets travel' - Bowie
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

It's going to be a long wait!!!

Ah, the tension, the agony!!

I am trying to remain "spoiler free" until the last moment. We'll see how long THAT lasts!!!!! :biggrin:
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

MrKABC wrote:I am trying to remain "spoiler free" until the last moment. We'll see how long THAT lasts!!!!! :biggrin:
I do recommend to everyone who hasn't read the book to RESIST the temptation to read the spoilers!!! Honestly, the less you know the more you're going to be blown away by the "ride" (quite an obvious statement. I know. But, seriously, it'll be worth the wait!).

:yeehaa:
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Seareach wrote: I do recommend to everyone who hasn't read the book to RESIST the temptation to read the spoilers!!! Honestly, the less you know the more you're going to be blown away by the "ride"
This couldn't be more true.
Ard Rhys
Ramen

Post by Ard Rhys »

How about this? Those of you who read RUNES and REVENANT: What would you rate RUNES and then how would you rate REVENANT?
Visit my website and read excerpts from my novel, Song of the Fell Hammer, Book One in the Battle's Perilous Edge trilogy.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Ard Rhys wrote:How about this? Those of you who read RUNES and REVENANT: What would you rate RUNES and then how would you rate REVENANT?
Runes 7 out of 10

Revenant 8.5 out of 10
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

That's a tough one. I liked Runes - especially the earlier parts (the "real" world, Kevin's Watch, etc.). But I think it can only be rated as part of the whole story, since it sets up a lot. As Steve said in the GI, Runes is the launcher and Fatal Revelant the missile. Can't shoot the missile without the launcher (unless you're shooting at cars or trees or dogs). I'd compare Runes to The One Tree. It didn't seem like a lot (plot-wise) happened, but it really did and it was all necessary to the story.

Normally I'd give FR a 9 out of 10. But I might let that slip down to 8.5 to leave room for what's coming... :-)
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

i find it interesting to remember that the 2nd chrons were originally going to be 4 books long, with book one ending at the end of the soothtell. compare that with runes....

no giants... haruchai haven't been freed yet.... it's all covenant's fault! i haven't re-read the 2nd chrons recently enough to remember exactly what happened up to that point... but i'm not as bothered by how 'little' happened in Runes when I think of it that way.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I'm along the lines of what Romeo said.

It's a hard thing to do--rank both books--since the Runes is the setup for what's to come (you're right, Romeo: Runes is like The One Tree. In my mind Runes and Fatal Revenant are very different books because they have to be).

I don't feel comfortable with scoring the books, but Fatal Revenant is everything I hoped it would be and *more*!
TWDuke77
Servant of the Land

Post by TWDuke77 »

Seareach wrote:Fatal Revenant is everything I hoped it would be and *more*!
Couldn't agree more :P
'Devalue the object of desire and the pain of loss diminishes' - Patrick Mcgrath
'Funny how secrets travel' - Bowie
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

GAH!!! You're killing me!!!

"killing me softly with his words..."

:lol:
of course I could just stop reading these posts, but I like building tension in myself.

tee hee
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

I just completed Revenant!! 8O 8O

I liked it ... better than Runes. If I had to rate it ... Runes 7 out of 10. Revenant ... 8 out of 10.

I will 'splain more when we post with spoilers!!

BTW, I can't wait to get my real copy ... and read it again. And then books on CD!! Wooo Hooo!!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Aww come on.. give it a 9 of 10.
Then the next a 10 of 10
and the last book an 11 of 10.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

10 of 10. One of the best Covenant books, period. Miles ahead of ROTE. IMO, Runes reads like a prologue in comparison. The disperate threads of story finally start getting interwoven, along with a MULTITUDE of new and surprising ones. It is everything you want it to be and more.

Edit: Last bit came out entirely on accident LoL
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

ONLY FIVE MORE DAYS...

The suspense is killing meeeee!!!! :evil:
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

MrKABC wrote: ONLY FIVE MORE DAYS...
Bah, I will have to wait a bit longer - for Amazon to ship it to my US address and then the courier company to get it to me here, open it, decide how much duty there is to pay, then deliver it. All that time I have to have the willpower not to read all the spoilers here on the board.

Thranathiril
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Seareach wrote:
MrKABC wrote:I am trying to remain "spoiler free" until the last moment. We'll see how long THAT lasts!!!!! :biggrin:
I do recommend to everyone who hasn't read the book to RESIST the temptation to read the spoilers!!! Honestly, the less you know the more you're going to be blown away by the "ride" (quite an obvious statement. I know. But, seriously, it'll be worth the wait!).

:yeehaa:
I can't wait Sea!!!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I GOT MY COPY TODAY!!!!!

four days early!!!!

don't know why, but Chapter's called me and told me it was in and to pick it up!
It is now in my greedy hands!

(Take THAT Amazon...)
heheheheh :D :biggrin:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

I suppose it'll be totes useless to nag Borders to give me one early. I'm getting impatient despite myself...
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken

Return to “Fatal Revenant”