And now for something completely different...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

And now for something completely different...

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

Okay, I'm just starting this thread for fun...

I thought it'd be fun if we could think of small observations about The Chrons that...well that we could make fun of or laugh about.

For instance:

Anyone ever notice that NO ONE in The Land (outisders included) EVER has to "go" to the restroom? I mean SRD describes what appears to be bathrooms but only wash basins seem to be present, but he never even mentions if Revelstone has a giant-wrought outhouse or anything like that.

Wouldn't it really change some of the scenes if Covenant tells Bannor he needs to "go" and Bannor lets it slip that the Bloodguard don't do that either? Now there's a chance for some comic relief right there.
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Anyone ever notice that NO ONE in The Land (outisders included) EVER has to "go" to the restroom? I mean SRD describes what appears to be bathrooms but only wash basins seem to be present, but he never even mentions if Revelstone has a giant-wrought outhouse or anything like that.
The first toilet is mentioned in ROTE.
Luke The Unbeliever
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Luke The Unbeliever »

Really!?

I never noticed...well, I give up.
:?

Anybody else got something?
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.
Brian: Well, why don't you go and tell him you want to be a leper again?
Ex-Leper: Uh, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that I suppose. What I was thinking was I was going to ask him if he could make me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the week. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the @$$ to be blunt and excuse my French, sir.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, care of my brilliant dissection of Part 1, Ch. 5 of Runes:
Me wrote:
A clay pipe angled down into the floor answered other needs.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

My eyes!

I'm blindeded!
-jay
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

kevinswatch wrote:Yeah, care of my brilliant dissection of Part 1, Ch. 5 of Runes:
Me wrote:
A clay pipe angled down into the floor answered other needs.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

My eyes!

I'm blindeded!
-jay
Obviously you've never been to an 'Outdoor Recreational Therapy Institution.'

Also known as a work camp for crazies.
B&
Kerb
Giantfriend

Post by Kerb »

I wonder what the Lords did at Revelstone? Chuck contents of chamberpot over the side? :biggrin:
emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

Kerb wrote:I wonder what the Lords did at Revelstone? Chuck contents of chamberpot over the side? :biggrin:
The solution probably involved graveling.

Or composting.

Night soil is okay fertiliser, if you can steralise it.
B&
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Yeah, I noticed this on the second reading. Made me laugh.

One thing about the series (esepcially the firs chronicles) that always struck me is how incurious the people of the Land seem to be about Covenant's world. I mean, he is from a completely different dimension/universe - which you might think would be completely fascinating to learn about for most people - but I think the only person who ever asks him anything about it is Mhoram (Foamfollwer asks Covenant a bit about his personal life). Pretty much no one ever says "So, what exactly is leprosy anyway?"
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

King Elessar 8 wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
Yeah, I noticed this on the second reading. Made me laugh.

One thing about the series (esepcially the firs chronicles) that always struck me is how incurious the people of the Land seem to be about Covenant's world. I mean, he is from a completely different dimension/universe - which you might think would be completely fascinating to learn about for most people - but I think the only person who ever asks him anything about it is Mhoram (Foamfollwer asks Covenant a bit about his personal life). Pretty much no one ever says "So, what exactly is leprosy anyway?"

Maybe because it _is_ Covenant's dream/extrapolation of his psyche after all and all the others only say what he wants them to say... which reminds me of a very old joke, in which a woman is sleeping and dreaming of a big black guy chasing her through the rooms of her house with a big knife in his hand, and woman keeps screamimg "Stop! Leave me alone!" to which the guy replies "Me? It is you who is dreaming me, not the other way around!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”