I'm having a hard time getting through this book :(

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Earthpower
Servant of the Land

I'm having a hard time getting through this book :(

Post by Earthpower »

I'm up to page 140 or so and I'm really having issues with time travel and swear words. Does anyone else have these issues with the really bad language and time travel?

I have put down the book for now and will pick it up at another time. It's not like book three is right around the corner.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

What was the foci of the 1st Chronicles. The breaking of the will. Depair. Foul failed.

Foci of the second book.. Earthpower corruption.
Foul failed.

Seems the foci of this chronicles is TIME. or the assault of it.
Foul strikes out!

It isn't about the chronicles, it about how we are traveling the experience.

Be true and be glad.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
wryberg1
Servant of the Land

Post by wryberg1 »

If you keep reading you will understand the reason for the "swear" words.
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: I'm having a hard time getting through this book :(

Post by stormrider »

Earthpower wrote:I'm up to page 140 or so and I'm really having issues with time travel and swear words. Does anyone else have these issues with the really bad language and time travel?
If I remember correctly, the swearing dies down a lot. I had an issue with the time travel in Runes, but not in this book.

Keep going. It gets better and better. And better.

Seriously, it's awesome. I'm sure you'll warm up to it.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

The swear words didn't bother me; most people I know (Americans and Canadians) talk like that every once in a while. Especially in stressful situations.

And the time travel: in any other author's hands in would be cheesy and predictable. SRD has made it more realistic and thoughtful.

IMHO

Another thing: KEEP READING!! I swear you won't be disappointed. :)
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Earthpower
Servant of the Land

Post by Earthpower »

I decided to read Runes again before I read the second book. Like I said earlier I have plenty of time until book three. :)
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Re: I'm having a hard time getting through this book :(

Post by lurch »

Earthpower wrote:I'm up to page 140 or so and I'm really having issues with time travel and swear words. Does anyone else have these issues with the really bad language and time travel?

I have put down the book for now and will pick it up at another time. It's not like book three is right around the corner.
FASCINATING...both things Objectionable you have found,,are major clues to the mystery of what is going on. The author is giving you clues. This is his Art, his Craft. his use of words tha have meaning and import on many levels and " work" for so many different perceptions. My goodness, your wont to put it down is unfortunate but beautiful at the same time. You are experiencing a " Linden"....beauty..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Stick with it Earthpower, I promise you it's well worth it. :P
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, keep reading. I like FR less than... well, anyone else here. But I still recommend you read on. Lots of stuff you don't want to miss!! :D

And, as a rule, I hate time-travel stories. Not being able to check with scientific facts, all versions of it are "intuitive." Each author gets to make up their own version of it. So, naturally, I disagree with most all other versions. Still, in this case, it leads to some stuff that's really good!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
quag
Servant of the Land

Post by quag »

I was shocked as well by the language, it was very much out of place considering the previous books. But, then, when the source of this language is revealed, all will be forgiven.
In punishing yourself, you come to merit punishment, this is the work of despite
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

I agree on the language and the time travel both. The cursing was a dead giveaway that it wasn't Covenant, but I kind of cringed nonetheless. It's just me, I guess. The time travel is too complicated. There are a zillion "why didn't they" questions and a zillion more "they could have's." You could go insane trying to figure it out. If Linden can call up a caesure, and control where it goes (and she did, so we know it's possible), she could go way back to when Covenant was alive, etc., etc., etc. And she could go back to the time of their first translation to the Land, and all that junk. It just makes me crazy. I suppose we just have to read what's there and not try to figure it out. I don't have the mental nads to handle it, homies.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

well, there is a built-in limiter because if she messes with time, then the arch will be destroyed.

i think that limits her potential interference to things that have already happened, or that will not be recorded. ie, if she 'changes' the past, that change has to already be in the timestream (the theomach telling berek about white gold and the 7 words) or a chance that no one will know about (and perhaps was also already part of the timestream, though i don't think srd is playing that version of time travel [a la the original terminator, and the gargoyles cartoon])

Return to “Fatal Revenant”