I'm disappointed in myself...*SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY*

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

The na-Mhoram
Stonedownor

I'm disappointed in myself...*SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY*

Post by The na-Mhoram »

About Covenant and Jeremiah. At first it made sense, I figured if Covenant had become part of the Arch, it would cause some changes in his demeanor over the centuries. And Jeremiah we didn't know anything about his personality, so anything he did wasn't suspicious. But Roger...bah, I should've been able to figure that out. Especially when Berek touched him, which he said would unmake him...but I went blithley along, convinced it was the real TC.
Did anyone else get fooled as bad as I did? Maybe I just didn't want to see the truth, like Linden I wanted to see TC again so bad I ignored all the obvious warning signs and resigned myself to an even more anti-social TC.
LowlyPeasantKevin
Servant of the Land

Post by LowlyPeasantKevin »

I was fooled, too. Because of the "We're in two places at once" line, I duped myself into thinking that TC's personality was broken up into two places as well. :oops:
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Yup, I'm with you guys. SRD totally had me going for most of the first half of the book, too. I also was totally willing to accept (like Linden was) an "altered" TC in place of the real thing. One of the things that makes SRD such a good author is that he can fool so many of his readers, but yet, when Roger is revealed, it's set up so well that it doesn't feel contrived at all.
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

Yeah, me too. I felt like something was up the whole time but I NEVER would've come up with the ol' Rog and croyel thing on my own. That whole scene literally blew me away.

SRD is a genius.
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

Covenant was too off for me to think it was really him, but I didn't think it was Roger, nor that Jeremiah was controlled by the croyel.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I knew that it wasn't Covenant, and was about 90% sure it was Roger. However, I was completely fooled by Jeremiah.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

SRD dropped some hints about Roger, most especially when he (as fake TC) was asking for the Ring and Linden thought about Roger. Also, Roger's TC lacked some crucial memories.
I had no idea what was up about Jeremiah. I actually thought he was some sort of fake, maybe one of the shadowed Elohim like Chant masquerading as Jeremiah and giving power to Roger. (I was expecting that Chant and his faction might have progressed rather far in their shadowing, maybe becoming dupes of Foul. Oh well, another prediction bites the dust)

So, is the boy an active bargainer with the croyel, or was he a passive victim?
Last edited by Aleksandr on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

Was sure it wasn't Covenant the second he started asking for the ring. I don't know why, but it struck me as odd. Kept telling myself it probably wasn't Roger because I didn't understand how he could have those powers. Never occurred to me that he was sporting an Elohim-hand.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I dunno when, exactly, I figured it wasn't really TC -- probably when Berek touched him and he didn't explode. Never occurred to me that it might be Roger.

And yeah, I had no idea what was up with Jeremiah. I really had no idea that a croyel could so animate a person.

I think Foul snagged Jeremiah in the bonfire at the beginning of the 2nd Chrons, and gave him the croyel shortly thereafter. That would explain Roger's comment in Runes that Jeremiah hasn't been "here" for years.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Aranion
Stonedownor

Post by Aranion »

It was very late in part one, but the clincher for me was the whole "F**k the Elohim, f**k..." that Roger in TC guise said. So totally unlike TC I knew it wasn't him.

Never predicted it was Roger, though - and the croyel was a surprise to me, too.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

I knew it wasn't Covenant; his explanations of why he was so different were totally bogus. He didn't change; he was dead and remained as before. So how could his attitude change? I didn't know who or what he really was, but he wasn't Covenant and I knew it. And the kid taking up with Covenant and kind of blowing Linden off? A giveaway. It was all wrong. Something wasn't kosher but dang if I could guess, even once. SRD writes so that you're led in a zillion different directions, then when something mundane is going on, POW! He smacks you upside the head with the answer. Like after Linden invoked the POC. Hoo hoo, what a ride!!!! All hail SRD!!
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
King Elessar 8
Woodhelvennin

Post by King Elessar 8 »

I assumed Covenant was being controlled by a Raver - which would have explained why he didn't want Linden to touch him, didn't want to be around the Staff of Law, and why when he struck Berek it was described as being hot. Then again, I thought that was kind of a cliched way for Donaldson to go, and I was glad to see he didn't do it! But when you think about it, if Roger could have controlled himself for a few hours and not acted like such a douche to Linden from the moment he entered Revelstone, she probably would have given him the ring. All those hopes of being a god wasted because he couldn't pretend to be decent for a few minutes; such is evil I guess.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

You have to take into consideration that Roger was very arrogant. He showed that in the very beginning when he insisted upon taking his mother. He thinks he can do anything he wants and get away with it so I think on some level he didn't think Linden would actually stand up to him or worse, thwart him. He honestly didn't consider her very smart or much of a real threat.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Even though TC kept "drawling", I was fooled too. And it seems so obvious!!!
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
stormrider
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by stormrider »

burgs wrote:Even though TC kept "drawling", I was fooled too. And it seems so obvious!!!
I got this image of Draco Malfoy stuck in my head every time Covenant drawled.
“...The conversations had a nightmare flatness, talking dice spilled in the tube metal chairs, human aggregates disintegrating in cosmic inanity, random events in a dying universe where everything is exactly what it appears to be and no other relation than juxtaposition is possible.”

“There are two kinds of sufferers in this world: those who suffer from a lack of life, and those who suffer from an overabundance.”

"Meantime we shall express our darker purpose."
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i knew covenant was roger and i knew that jerimiah wasn't right. just didn't know why he wasn't right.

covenant didn't even TALK like covenant. totally.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Lucimay wrote:i knew covenant was roger and i knew that jerimiah wasn't right. just didn't know why he wasn't right.

covenant didn't even TALK like covenant. totally.
it was obvious from the outset that roger's a bigger prick than covenant ever THOUGHT about being.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Lucimay wrote:it was obvious from the outset that roger's a bigger prick than covenant ever THOUGHT about being.
Roger is, though, Covenant's son... Apple didn't fall all that far from the tree, although the apple, in Roger's case, is missing it's seeds.
Last edited by burgs on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Believer »

well, roger was probably corrupted by foul early on, like joan... we just never saw the evidence of it before.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Believer wrote:well, roger was probably corrupted by foul early on, like joan... we just never saw the evidence of it before.
Yes, no doubt he was.

Interesting - the product of Joan and TC has become something akin to a Raver. The possibilities are endless.

I hope that a Forestall slaughters him, personally.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”