the down side of down under

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

transient
Stonedownor

the down side of down under

Post by transient »

Whilst only those of us who reside in the wide brown land know the real meaning of she'll be right mate, it kinda makes me think we wuz robbed. What's the sense of waiting around to almost the end of the month. It just don't seem right.

I've re-read runes twice in the last two weeks. It's not right I tells ya! What's wrong with you blokes up there. ya don't have to translate it into strine you know. We have mastered the tongues. We know stuff. We just dont have no copies of FR!!!!

If this keeps up I'm going to blow the dust off the riverworld series. A bottle of Jack, a book of randomly selected words...and thou?
wandering through the landscape,,never the same view or is it rooted to the spot I am and thus, deceived by a passing parade?
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

ah, I ordered mine through Amazon.com and, tell you what, it's cheaper getting it from the US (it was about $33AU...and that included postage). But it's a bit worrying. I was checking online booksellers (Dymocks, Collins etc) and all of them say the book will be ordered from overseas...maybe they're not doing an official release here? Please tell me that's not true! :?
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

Well then Seareach, things are crook in tallarook as they say. I checked an Angus & Robertson store today and got a similar line. This is looking serious. Do you think the seppos are awake up to our superior intellect and are acting like ...dare I say...those who would have us not know the truth?

May have to mount an expedition to the east across the waters of trepidation and see what the hold up is. Now where's me new pair o' stubbies and those trusty thongs? And I dont mean the Brazilian type!
wandering through the landscape,,never the same view or is it rooted to the spot I am and thus, deceived by a passing parade?
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Patience my good man. You won't know the end of the tale until 2013, so what are a few days here and there in the grand scheme of things. :)

Me, I've still gotta do my re-read of Runes first, so FR will sit pretty on the shelf for a while until I'm good and ready. Once it finally arrives down under from the slow boat from the UK that is.
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

Ah, well counselled indeed Giantfriend. But alas it is the fate and the very nature of such as I. Transient by name and inclination. It's what may be around that next corner ...don't you know I just gotta see. Always on the move, cross the worlds that are mere words to some.

And of course there's always that tenuous thread that holds the sword eh? Hmm thats right gotta wait to 2013. That'll mean a 'cart load of the old amanibhaven or at least a quaff or three of vitrim to keep these old bones rattlin'. 2013 that'll mean I have the three score n ten up! geez SRD and I had better stay in trim!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Ok, so I checked. It's not due for release until the 25th here in Oz. So that's a couple of days away. Breathe easy Transient! :biggrin:
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Oh by the way, my fellow Aussie Covenant fans - it seems to me that the cover art on the books WE get is much better than they have in some parts of the northern Hemisphere..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Sucks on the release date.. Maybe one of you good Aussies can scan the cover for us poor ole Northern folk.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Yea, I'd like to see it, too. Too many wizard-looking folks with long white hair and staffs to suit my taste. Hey, Peter Jackson is doing "The Hobbit." Yippee!
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

it's hard to find good pictures...

But the Last Chronichles look spectacular.. I'll hunt some up later..
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

We get the UK release cover:

I actually went to Melbourne the other day and saw it in a bookstore (we don't have any bookstores where I live). I *love* the cover. It's not black like Runes, it's more this metalic light blue...must get myself a copy for my collection
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

YEah - that's the one.. I tried to scan it but the metallic writing and patterny pits kinda got messed up.. Thanks Seareach..
I was waiting for it to come out in paperback before I got it, coz up til recently all the ones I had were paperbacks, but my girlfriend bought it for me in Hardcover and it's just awesome.. So now I have that AND Gilden0Fire in hard cover..
And I bought them all from Melbourne! LOL
Mind you, I live in St Kilda... It seems to me, Seareach, that you live a bit firther away..
Forgive my death.
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

Well up here on the southern slopes of the Great Divide there's nary a bookstore to be seen. Am hanging out waiting on the Christmas present so maybe FR will be somewhere in a package?

By the way Merry Christmas to all on the Watch :o
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

You mean its out? Fwoar!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

Indeed Landwaster for I have just received not one but two copies in hardcover of FR. I recall getting two copies of ROTE when it came out, one had the seppo cover one had the too&from cover. Can't have enough of a good thing I say!

Am up to T' One Tree in my re-read cycle so will have to assume the cloak of invisibility for a while so the all powerful one doesn't descry my apparent inactivity and produce the dreaded "LIST" to fill my indolent hours.

In the spirit of abstinence invoked by more worthy others hereabouts, I will resist all urges to crack the cover till all else is consumed. maybe I'll start on Les Carlyon's The Great War in the meantime.

Hooray all.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Gosh! It's the meeting of the Australian-ites in this thread!

Ninjaboy, I'm in Inverloch (drive south...head toward the Prom :))

I was hoping for a UK cover edition of FR for Xmas but Santa didn't come through. But, heh: I'll get it soon. I've already got myself US edition as well as ARC's of both the US and UK editions so... My bookshelf is buckling!!! :)
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Well I'm up over in the USA at the moment, in San Francisco ... but originally from the Wimmera and a resident of Carnegie (near Caulfield) ... haven't been to Inverloch but have been to the Prom and stayed at a delightful (sic) hotel in Meeniyan.

I'll have to look into FR but at the moment I am over here seeking medical help for a crook wife. She's Californian, and so we had some leads over here.

There's apparently four aussie rules footy teams here in the Bay Area so I'll seek 'em out and spruik the wares of IKFC to 'em.

How's Strayer goin' over there under the command of Dad Rudd? I may be staying here so that we can get the medical stuff sorted, as soon as I can find a sponsor (all bets taken).

But I WILL have to drop into the nearby Borders and have a decko, hopefully FR is on the shelf.

How's this ... I'm staying in a place called "Nob Hill" :twisted:
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
transient
Stonedownor

Post by transient »

Hope things go well for you and the missus, Landwaster. Old South Gippsland boy here but been up Wallan way these 25 years or so. I've heard from a mate that the Oz Rules teams are pretty active in California. He was on holidays and saw a kick to kick game in session. Just had to join in!

I wonder what old dad Rudd would have said to Dave about Kevin. Something like " Well Dave, its about time there's another Rudd in Parliament. I don't reckon on knowing what part of the family he's from though."

Am walking the Prom sometime in January with a mate so if you see strange lights on Mount Oberon Seareach, its just a Wallan boy findin' his way home.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Yeah I know Inverloch - my housemate's from there and it's all fun! Unfortunately my own bookshelf can only accommodate one copy of each of the books (actually that's about all I can afford too)..

I'm off to India in a couple of days so I'm sure you'll all be missing my poorly-informed and ill-advised comments.. But I'll be back in a month... me and my GF are frantically going through the last books in the series before we leave - having my hardcover FR in my baggage will definately limit the amount I can bring home...

In fact it looks like I won't be able to do much reading at all while I'm over there.. And unfortunately I doubt I'll find spontaneous games of AFL appearing amongst the locals in Chennai and Ikkadu...
Forgive my death.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Sorry to hear about your wife, Landwaster. Hope it all works out.

As for Rudd...gosh...haven't heard much out of him ever since he won (I was actually down at the Prom on the night of the election--we sat in the car with the radio on listening to the count and then cracked a bottle of champers!).

Transient where in South Gips? I lived in Yinnar South until I was 12.

It's so nice to have some more Aussies around here!!!

Have fun at the prom transient! I'll look for the winking lights on Oberon.. ;) And...if you don't report back I should be there in April or sometime around then so I'll come lookin'.

...and hey...Landwaster...have fun..."Nob Hill" indeed! :biggrin:

And this thread is now, officially, hijacked but heh: we're aussies!
Last edited by Seareach on Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”