danlo rips Albq. B & N a new one!!!

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

danlo
Lord

danlo rips Albq. B & N a new one!!!

Post by danlo »

So Amazon totally wiped out any record of my ordering Fatal Revenant and I still haven't received it...

I just came back from the local Barnes & Noble (where SRD had the book launch and reading, that I couldn't attend) with my copy, but it wasn't easy. There were no copies at the SF/Fantasy display, none out front and none with his books. So I go to the customer service desk and the guy says, "Revenant? That's not even a word!." I glare at him, "Look it up." Then he says, "Yes, I'm very sorry sir, you're right." He finally discovers there are 59 copies in the store, but he searches and can't find them anywhere. So he calls the SF/Fantasy guy, they all search and can't find any. Finally one person finds 7 copies on the "local authors" table at the back of the store, and brings one to me. Then I find out the rest are in boxes upstairs.

I finally corral the SF guy and say, "Do you know who Donaldson is?" he doesn't know! Then I say, "He's not just a damm local author, he's one of the most renowned Sci Fi AND Fantasy authors in the world and he lives right in town. Did you even attend his reading when the book came out?", "No." "Look this book is about to come out #12 on the New York Times best seller list and is a top 20 best seller for Fantasy worldwide." Then he takes the other copy he's holding and walks towards the Sci Fi section and I say, "You mean to tell me you're only going to put that with his books? Only one copy?", "Yes" then I say, "Maybe I should put my kid in daycare and come back, talk to your manager, and do your job for you-you have three huge displays of hack writer Brook's Shannara Centennial (or whatever it's called) but nothing for Donaldson, there should be a major display of this book in SF/Fantasy and a prominent display for a NY Times best seller at the front of the store. I'll volunteer my time and set them up myself!"

As I'm about to threaten to tell them I know SRD personally and am about to go home and email him to come to the store- two workers, who've heard my triade come flying downstairs with two cases of books and start setting up displays!!! :evil: 8) (at least mine's a signed copy...)
Last edited by danlo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

YEAH!!!! :R YOU ROCK danlo!!! thats total bullshit and I would certainly hope someone (uh, Steve?) makes a BIG stink about that. Thats a total slap in the face if not criminal. a local author #12 on the NYTBSL is quite enough to warrant a local display, but his chops in SF&F were already enough for him to deserve it a corporate level! Every dam store should be giving him the respect he deserves, dammit!!! :-x

WTG, danlo! awesome! :thumbsup:
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Danlo, you are the MAN! I wish you had gotten that on film though... 8O :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

ahem....I know someone with a camera who could re-enact it? :roll:
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Seriously, think of all the glorious moments forever lost because nobody filmed it for me. Next time any watchers find themselves in a crazy weird or awkward situation stop for ten seconds and see if anyone has a camera so they can film it for me. Sheesh. Is that too much to ask people?!!? 8O :biggrin: :twisted:

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Re: danlo rips Albq. B & N a new one!!!

Post by kevinswatch »

danlo wrote:"Revenant? That's not even a word!."
Haha! Classic.-jay
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

I'm wondering now why this all wasn't addressed at the book signing? I mean, if he launched his book there shouldn't the place been decked out then? Doesn't his agent or someone handle stuff like that? Something seems very disconnected here with this situation..... :?
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

You would think so but haven't we already determined that his promotional people suck ass? On another note, Esmer, I love dramatic reenactments especially if they are properly overacted and campied up. :biggrin:

bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Esmer wrote:ahem....I know someone with a camera who could re-enact it? :roll:
Could I play danlo?
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

bloodguard bob wrote:
Esmer wrote:ahem....I know someone with a camera who could re-enact it? :roll:
Could I play danlo?
Can I play the SF guy?
I have mastered 100% apathy and total disdain towards customers....err....I mean: I have 15 years of retail management experience. :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Excellent HLT, when can you fly out to start the shooting?

The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

certainly BGB and HLT, why not? You guys totally have to do that! 8)
Last edited by The Laughing Man on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm have my people call your people and we'll set something up.
I'm not cheap though.
I might need 2 maybe 3 ham and cheese sandwiches for my efforts.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I think I can afford that. You aren't gonna want any extra clauses in your contract are you? I get enough grief from BGB's clause that he must show some butt crack at least every other appearance.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I know, the frigging Mayor of Albuquerque came to both the Runes and Revenant lauches, for gods sakes! What a bunch of dorks! (and I mean that in a bad way Jenn... :wink: ) I got a serious kick out of the Customer Service guy finding the word and turning white as a ghost, then I said, "It's a very recognizable book, it's got a big picture of a guy who looks just like Saruman from the Lord of the Rings," And the girl working there said, "Oh yeah I've seen it, it was all around the place once," and then they scattered.

I don't know how the local readings work, but I think they make a big display for the reading, look at it as a "local" reading-not a launch and pack everything up after that, or, at least reorder (if that night's sales were worth it...), and throw the rest on that table. That's the feeling I got with Rune's at least. I'm not sure the publisher or his agent had that much to do with it. I, personally, hold that B & N resposible for sending up a flyer and dropping the ball.
Last edited by danlo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

kevinswatch wrote:
Haha! Classic.-jay
this quote HAS to be in the script! :haha:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

...then he turned his comp around to me with a big picture of FR and said, "You mean like this?".**shakes head**
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Ok, so I have Danlo and the SF Clerk cast. I still need stupid counter boy who doesn't think revenant is a word and a couple other clerks for searching and finding and then a couple more for hopping to it in the end. :biggrin:

The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

OMG! Have Lucimay falling over boxes of books and frantically crashing down the stairs! :haha: SRD could show up and loan danlo his copy! :lol:
bloodguard bob
Bloodguard

Post by bloodguard bob »

Esmer wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:
Haha! Classic.-jay
this quote HAS to be in the script! :haha:
I'll call SPREADSHIRT in the morning, gotta have one of those.
"...and if you do not listen, then to hell with you."

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”