Location of Jeremiah

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

martyc
Servant of the Land

Location of Jeremiah

Post by martyc »

As regards the location of Jeremiah and the fact that the Harrow knows where he is - could it be that he's in the Lost Deeps, the home of the Viles? Since the Harrow has made a profession out of studying them, there is some logic there.

But if the Harrow was one of the ones Foul whispered to, then i guess this theory's wrong, however the fact that Roger and Esmer were both scared of what the Harrow meant to Linden seems to indicate Foul has no part in his knowledge (or is playing Roger for a fool.....)

What do people think?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Or maybe the ur-viles know J's location (they seem to know a lot) and the Harrow got it from them.
So if so, why have not they told Linden? Well we do not know what their real motivation is in this whole business.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

amanibhavam wrote:Or maybe the ur-viles know J's location (they seem to know a lot) and the Harrow got it from them.
So if so, why have not they told Linden? Well we do not know what their real motivation is in this whole business.
It seems that Esmer will not allow the ur-Viles to communicate to anyone.
He partially removed the gift of understanding language given to the Giants by the Elohim for that exact purpose.
So the Giants can't even translate it for Linden now.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

I think that the next book will take us on a journey to the Lost Deep, just a hunch. Maybe thats where Kevins dirt is being generated. Or maybe thats where Jeremiah is hidden.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Oh, we're definitely going to the Lost Deep. But not, I predict, until the Final Dark. It takes Linden a lot of pages to go anywhere in this series.

Is that were Jeremiah is? That's a plausible possibility. Maybe too plausible ...
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

It's a pity Ridjeck Thome has been destroyed, it was a much more fascinating place than Kiril Threndor (in my opinion), with Hotash Slay and all.
OOTH if they wander deep enough into Mount Thunder they may encounter some nice balrogs down there so there're chances for seeing some interesting stuff still:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Well, i hope she picks up some speed. Its seems like a cool place. Especially if the Viles are somehow still around :)
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

Does anyone remember how SRD phrased the "end" of the Viles? Since they were/are incorpreal, it;s entirely possible that they are still around, haunting the Lost Deep. I get the feeling that we will be seeing ALOT more of them.

Their encounter with Linden in Berek's time foreshadows this greatly. I cant' imagine SRD putting that in there and then not swinging back to it.

Remember: "Not all that are evil began that way, nor are they destined to remain that way" or some such! If anything is to be redeemed, my guess is that it will the Viles. (and of course, the Haruchai)
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I'm not so sure about the Haruchai this time... They dserve Despite.. But I am loving the Ur-Viles and Waynhym (or however it's spelt).. If Infeliece is the Elohim appointed to this task, as other people have suggested, it is possible she could translate the speech of the Demondim-spawn.. Or give the gift of comprehension to Linden. But I don't know how she'd coerce them into that.

And I don't trust the Elohim.

I trust Esmer though.. Even the the Ur-viles and Waynhym don't seem to.. Though I don't think he always tells her the complete truth..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Seems to me the Viles are a key to this story. That scene with Linden takes her self dicovery to its fundamentals. Esmer and the Viles have much in common. Their shared " conflicted nature" is obvious. To me, that tells me that, both LEAD Linden to her Truth. By their very nature, they can't provide Linden with Truth,,they can only be the catalyst , the process, the impetus, the mechanism, the way, to her Truth. Linden is already beginning to see that in Esmer.

There is a connection that her Command , she came to btw of what the Viles said to her. She removed the veil of Illusion btw of putting alot of clues together, yet it seems to me the basic questions the Viles proposed to her laid her situation out in the most simplest terms. I liked it how even Roger gets a dig in about how long it took her, yet in the Interior Landscape that is the Land, Time is subjective, and all the obstacles to clear perception ,do take some count of time to process and overcome.

Just remember, as far as connectivity,,Lindens realizing of what it would take to reciprocate Mahdoubt's presence and council in the woods,,can be seen as a small sum of what the Viles experience was to her.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
callback
Woodhelvennin

Post by callback »

Skurj Scourge wrote: Remember: "Not all that are evil began that way, nor are they destined to remain that way" or some such! If anything is to be redeemed, my guess is that it will the Viles. (and of course, the Haruchai)
The Viles are destined to be the new Forestals.
Skurj Scourge
Woodhelvennin

Post by Skurj Scourge »

callback wrote:
The Viles are destined to be the new Forestals.
Now that's what I call redemption!
Get that friggin' croyel offa me!
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Thank goodness SRD named him Jermiah instead of Waldo. :roll:
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Where else could he be? Joan is in the Sarangrave, but shes all alone (except the raver). Where Foul is we havent been told yet, but somewhere in Mount Thunder seems probable, if hes physically manifest at all.

My guess is that if Jeremiah is being kept in the land and not some faraway place, hes in the Lost Deep.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't even buy the premise of the question here.

Jeremiah is controlled by a croyel. We already know that Foul, at least once, is sending them out and about to do stuff at his bidding.

So why do we all assume Jeremiah is imprisoned somewhere? He's probably roaming around, working for Foul.

It may come to pass that Foul will imprison Jeremiah at some point, to keep Linden from rescuing him. Or, more likely, he will call Jeremiah to his side if Linden ever confronts Foul, and Foul decides he would use Jeremiah as a bargaining chip, or for psychological pressure.
Atrium
Ramen

Post by Atrium »

Good observation. Maybe FR dont explicitly state that Jeremiah is being kept hidden somewhere? I sort of had the feeling that it did, but that might just be me jumping to conclusions, cant recall the exact words of the harrow et al. I was thinking that Foul would return Jeremiah to his hiding place after the attempt on Linden failed. Supposedly J has some important functions to perform in Fouls service and he wouldnt want Linden to free him.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Atrium wrote:Good observation. Maybe FR dont explicitly state that Jeremiah is being kept hidden somewhere? I sort of had the feeling that it did, but that might just be me jumping to conclusions, cant recall the exact words of the harrow et al. I was thinking that Foul would return Jeremiah to his hiding place after the attempt on Linden failed. Supposedly J has some important functions to perform in Fouls service and he wouldnt want Linden to free him.
Ah. The Harrow said, ""I am able to convey you to your son!"

That sentence doesn't convey that Jeremiah is in a certain place, or even that the Harrow knows where he is at any time.

Tricksy.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Generally we don't trust the Elohim.. We had reason to trust the Mahdoubt and theTheomach, but what about the Harrow? He already violated Linden to get the ring and staff.. Maybe he's trying to manipulate her.. And somehow i don't think he'll survive - maybe through the Theomach hell meet his end..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”