Sib Mackern is the COOLEST character in this whole series!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Sib Mackern is the COOLEST character in this whole series!

Post by kevinswatch »

My God, Sib is awesome! I've just finished the 2nd book and I just started the 3rd. I've been waiting this WHOLE time to find a character who is noble enough to be cool. Someone who does something not for themselves, but for someone else. EVERY single other character in this series has been selfish so far. Morn has problems, Angus has problems, Nick has MANY problems. Vector was cool, but then became uncool. Mikka was cool, then became uncool. But Sib gets the award for being the first honorable character in this dang series I've seen so far. That's all I wanted to say. Thank you. Oh, and please don't post any spoilers. If Sib becomes uncool, then I want to read on my own.-jay
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

I just finished the series for the second time.

The best thing about the books are the storylines and how they all converge to a single point of extreme climax. Nearly everything in the book is there in order to converge at this climax. Each of the last four books is like this and I'd like to point out that Wagner's _four_ operas in his Ring Cycle also have a climax at the end of each so that they stand alone.

The next best thing is the science. I don't read much Sci Fi but most of the science in the books is very plausable.

The worst thing about the books though are the characterizations.

What made Vector and Mikka uncool for you?
danlo
Lord

Carumba!

Post by danlo »

Hard enuf 2 get folks 2 talk about the Gap! Geeze! :x now we can't say anything in either of ur little topics!! :D U kno me always joking...I have read alot of Sci-Fi and some of the most intense--hardcore--hyper intelligent Sci-Fi out there--Un42natley there wasn't a "gap" btween my SRD books and my Sci-Fi books in my book case. Fortunately the Gap series said "The hell w/that" and kicked most of my Sci-Fis off the shelf--hurry up and finish Jay! :x We want 2 talk 2 u! :D
fall far and well Pilots!
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

OK, I just finished Book 3. Wow.

Mikka and Vector have redeemed themselves. And Sib has gotten a little less cool.

The main reason why I didn't think they were cool at the end of the 2nd book was because they were so obsessively annoying about serving Nick, like they had no free will. They both had their moments when they were "almost" willing to do something honorable and help Morn, but they just couldn't go all the way. Sib was the FIRST character to do something honorable, which is why he's cool.-jay
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think the thing I like best about SRD's writing style (beside his unique wording) is the way he treats his heroes - he stamps them to the groung, jumps on their wrecked bodies, and they have to do a horrendous work to get up and make themselves likeable... it was the same with Covenant and Angus - at first I thought what a bastard my god and by the end of the books I actually got to like them
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

Personally, I think he stamps them a bit TOO much. There was a point in Book 4 where it just became funny. SRD sure likes pain. For me the best part of his writing in the Gap series is how he takes several different threads and brings them all together in a riveting climax.
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Just wanted to say HI

Post by DirectorDios »

I'm a huge Donaldson fan, I'm thrilled to have found this site. Had I found it earlier...perhaps I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating my own. I did an SRD search on the internet 5 or 6 years ago and came up with squat! Now it seems he's finally getting some well deserved www recognition. Anyway, The Gap series is incredible. I guess I'm a bit unusual in that I tend NOT to disect a story or it's character too much. I take what the writer gives me and just go with it. To say that SRD does not "pull off" the character switch between Villian, Victimizer and Rescuer is ridiculous to me. I thought the entire series was extremely well written and superbly narrated. As for Sib Mackern being "cool"... I don't know about that!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Hmm, I found Mikka to be on of the 'cooler' characters in the series. I really liked the way that whatever was thrown at her, she just got down to business, but that she had a vulnerable side as well, like when she went to talk to Morn in her cabin, and he responsibility she feels towards Ciro.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, decided to go over to the darkside and check out The Gap board, even though I haven't read the books in about 5 years and then only once 'cause a friend took off with em...

That being said, Hashi is the coolest. No question.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sib's death is heartbreaking; how could Nick do it?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Because Nick is a sonofabitch
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Yes. Poor Sib, he had me skimming over future chapters to find out if he was really dead or not.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Me too. :cry:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
UrLord
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by UrLord »

hey, what about Hashi? Hashi is by far the coolest character of the series, hands down. Nobody can step to the H-man!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Warden Dios is the coolest. He's on top of everything, even when he isn't. Even when Holt forced him to give Angus to Nick, he found a way around it. Even placing Morn in immense danger to avoid certain death at Holt's hands, he found ways around it. Even staring down an Amnion matter cannon barrel, with a mutigen in his veins, he found ways to unite all those people whose loyalty he had earned and free everyone from the Dragon.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

We'll compliment him in another forum... Let's stick to Sib for now. 8)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Or this can be the "COOLEST character" thread.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

But it is not... therefore we will talk only about Sib... Or I'll eat you all... 8)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

In pies?
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

LOLs!

Exactly. 8)

Return to “The Gap Series”