Moderator: I'm Murrin

Ramen
<i>Elohim</i>

Terry Pratchett

Post by Ramen »

Anybody has read this? www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html
Another sad anouncement.
I keep my fingers crossed for him.
Every human makes mistakes. The trick is to do them, when nobody is watching (P. Ustinov)

Old loves they die hard
Old lies they die harder
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

I was sad to hear it... it kind of defies some of the things they suggest about alzheimers. Supposedly, someone who was applying their mind to creative thinking as much as Pratchett does, should not have had to worry about it. Sad news though, as he's the only writer who often enough has me chuckling out loud while reading.
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The relative silence of this topic isn't a result of cold, insensitive Watchers not giving a damn about Pratchett's woes, it's just that there's already a topic about this in Gen Dis.

Just thought I'd clarify that.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I don't know if that is the case. I thought there was already another thread on this in General Discussion and got a bunch of replies. But I might be wrong. I, for one, am saddened by the news.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cagliostro wrote:I don't know if that is the case. I thought there was already another thread on this in General Discussion and got a bunch of replies.
Isn't that what I said? :?
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

CovenantJr wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:I don't know if that is the case. I thought there was already another thread on this in General Discussion and got a bunch of replies.
Isn't that what I said? :?
Umm...yes. And I'm blind. Just call me Hile Troy.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

That's too bad. . . He's a very funny writer. :(

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Terry Pratchett has today donated half a million pounds to Alzheimers research.
Pat Cadigan has proposed trying to get half a million people to donate one pound (~$2) each to the same charity, to match his donation.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

This is a bit shocking, as I've never heard of it happening to someone like that. My sci-fi class will be reading Interesting Times, one of his Discworld novels, so he'll be on my mind.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Tjol wrote:Supposedly, someone who was applying their mind to creative thinking as much as Pratchett does, should not have had to worry about it.
The thing about keeping your brain active to stave off mental problems of this type is more to do with learning. If you keep learning, your brain constantly forms new connections; if you're not learning, regardless of how much you're thinking, it won't do you a lot of good. But even with all the diligent lifelong learning in the world, all you can do is improve your chances - there's never a guarantee.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”