Significance of missing creator

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Significance of missing creator

Post by Endymion9 »

I tried searching and could not find this exact topic, so apologize if it is already being discussed in another topic.

What do you see as the significance of no appearance of the creator to Linden before she came to the Land this time? Especially since Linden herself has considered it a couple of times that I can remember in ROE and FR.

In another thread someone mentioned that we don't know when the Land was created. When TC was born or married with the White Gold. Just makes me wonder if the old man was just another part of TC and now that he is dead in the "real" world we don't see the old man appearing there anymore.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

This issue has been discussed elsewhere, but I'll be cornswabbled if I know where.

I have to think that this character will make an appearance before all is said and done. There's been speculation about Jeremiah's connection to the Creator, that Jeremiah's power (to build structures that serve as doorways) is somehow inherently intertwined with the power of creation.

This saga will not end without the Land's maker having a final say.
Scott
Servant of the Land

Post by Scott »

I think I read in the GI where SRD said something about it being significant that the creator did not make an appearance.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

There has been quite a bit of speculation about this, such as:

1. The theory that since Covenant is dead, so is the Creator.

2. The Creator did appear but to someone other than Linden, perhaps Joan, Jeremiah or even Roger Covenant.

Any other speculation?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Yes, SRD said something to the effect of "do you think it's by chance that the Creator has not yet appeared to anybody?", accompanied by a wink.

It's also possible that the Creator is busy talking to somebody who has not even been summoned to the Land yet... (a fat chance, I know, but who knows with SRD).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

He's just on the phone. He will be back soon. And when he comes back, there will be blood!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

After searching the GI for anything on the matter of the Creator not putting in an appearance before Land translation in these Last Chronicles, I found this:

Question:
Would you care to illuminate your readers, however slightly, as to why, for the first time, the Creator did not appear to presage the transition into the land in Runes?

SRD response:
Sorry, no. That would be the great-granddaddy of all spoilers.

Clearly, there is a HUGE something behind this matter.

Let the speculation begin! :D
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In fact, see WOW II - great-granddaddy of all spoilers (Runes forum; be careful not to add spoilers), and also Runes, Prolouge, Ch. 1: Mother's Son (Dissecting).

My theory is: the creator did not appear to anyone, because he's not choosing someone to save the land this time, because the land will not be saved.
dougkeenan
Servant of the Land

Post by dougkeenan »

Is the Creator a halfhand?
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

THAT would certainly make the Elohim warning interesting! ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dougkeenan
Servant of the Land

Post by dougkeenan »

One would think Covenant (or Linden) would have noticed and remarked about it if so. I need to revisit those scenes.
Cshaw71
Stonedownor

Post by Cshaw71 »

Maybe we have a Noah's ark issue here. In that the Creator plan on a major overhaul of his creation. I realize this has nothing to do with the fact he is missing )or does it). Just look at the progression of LF's attack on the land. Maybe to rid LF he has to do something Major to his creation. Think of LF as Cancer, sometimes you have to practically kill the patient to rid the cancer.
Try see it once my way
Everything Zen
--Bush (not the President or his Dad)
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I can easily see some sort of phoenix analogy occurring - the Arch of Time and the Land's Earth being destroyed to 'free' Lord Foul just long enough for him to be either destroyed utterly or at least banished forever - and then the Arch/Land gets remade using the passion and urgence (argence?) of Wild Magic and framed with the structure of Linden's Staff of Law. I expect that Jeremiah's talent will also factor hugely into this phoenix-like rebirth - perhaps in tandem with the help of an Insequent, who might be able to provide a time-bridge of some kind?

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

That's a great theory DW. Way to go. :D
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ah, yes, the All-Inclusive Crisis of the Evolloo theory.

Unfortunately, I don't "feel" that the Land will be remade or reborn myself. Donaldsonian logic is that the choices and fights that have been made would be dishonored if they are all made moot. Everything comes with a cost, we accomodate damage rather than undo it, etc.

Or, another way to say it: I don't think the ultimate answer to Despite is to toss it out and play the game over.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

OK, then, WF :)... How about TC gets consumed / merged with Lord Foul in the creation of a new Arch of Time just as the old one nearly expires - they are fused and living, like an astral Odd Couple - something similar to the way that the new Staff of Law was made?

Has the Arch of Time metaphor been fleshed out at all? I wonder if it is composed of the individual Laws that make up the Earth: life, death, time, gravity, etc. So as the caesures eat away at the law of Time, the Arch is weakened? Or am I thinking too literally?

It's easy to come up with these theories - and if I throw enough of 'em out there, statistically I'm bound to get a few right. :)

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Don't get me wrong, DW. I wasn't saying your theory was bad. Just that I didn't "feel" it.

Covenant and Foul merging ... yeah, for sure. If not already.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I don't see anything happening that completely destroys/gets rid of Lord Foul. If Despite can be destroyed, why didn't Covenant do so at the end of TPTP? I also don't see LF getting trapped inside some new prison. Didn't SRD say at one point that Foul has a legitimate "beef"?
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I still think that the creation myth laid out in the first chronicles that you can never destory despite. Even if LF is trapped, banished or destroyed someone else would rise up to fill that spot. Unless SRD decided to go totally out of character and decide the entire land was now going to be Nirvana/Heaven.

Otherwise, I'd expect Jeremiah to build a trap for LF as he can do for the Elohim. A more reasonable expectation might be for him to trap the remaining ravers.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Yeah, I've definately been expecting the Creator in one form to appear before the series is over..

And possibly because all that he had to offer her "you will not fail, however he may assail you" or whatever it was, is still as relevant now as it was then.

Or another mad speculation - perhaps he DIDN'T want her to go, he didn't want her to make the huge mistakes she has made while she's been in the land... Perhaps it would have been better if he hadn't given her any warning and hope that she failed in what she attempted to achieve..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”