roger waters

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

roger waters

Post by sgt.null »

his announced tour dates.
www.rogerwaters.org/2008.html#JAN08

he will be performing Dark Side of the Moon.

julie bought our tickets today!

Roger Waters - Leaving Beirut
youtube.com/watch?v=nwDzATryei8

Roger Waters - Hello (I Love You)
youtube.com/watch?v=1eK6FY4Hykc

Marianne Faithfull - Incarceration of a flower child (live)
youtube.com/watch?v=CfoC8aNy5c8
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

He actually gave a hell of a show when I saw him in Indy a little over a year ago. He's starting to wear his politics a little prominently for my tastes these days though. (Well, not that his mouth wasn't *always* too big)

Honestly though, it was a great version of DarkSide. If only his damn Ego hadn't eclipsed the rest of the band so much. (I'm sick of him constantly minimizing Gilmour's importance to Pink Floyd)
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Pass. While I fully acknowledge Roger's writing contribution to Floyd, he's not a good performer. I saw one of his recent DVDs, and had difficulty sitting through it. No one has ever accused him of having a great voice or being a great musician, but I at least expected him to surround himself with people who played the music well.

To my ear, Floyd songs without David's guitar and voice (and especially with the people Roger has chosen to use), just don't measure up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The Dreaming wrote:He actually gave a hell of a show when I saw him in Indy a little over a year ago. He's starting to wear his politics a little prominently for my tastes these days though. (Well, not that his mouth wasn't *always* too big)

Honestly though, it was a great version of DarkSide. If only his damn Ego hadn't eclipsed the rest of the band so much. (I'm sick of him constantly minimizing Gilmour's importance to Pink Floyd)
he seems to have come around in the last few years.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

My wife and I went to a RW show a few years ago here in Tampa. We couldn't make it though the entire performance. Roger wasn't exactly ON and he had a video display behind him that projected abstract images that reminded us of...uh...diarrhea. After about 45 minutes of not being all that entertained and feeling a little sick to our stomachs some drunk guy nearby began to vomit. To add insult to injury the poor guy began staggering up some steps and then fell backward down to the concrete in a very disturbing way. People rushed to help the guy and carried him off but that was just about all we could handle. I'll always remember that experience. :-(
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

well i am going to enjoy the show. but thanks for the visuals tom. :) :(
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Hmm, interesting. Has he released anything new recently? I didn't think so, but I may have missed it. I do really like Amused to Death, though that's 15+ years old now....
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Radio Kaos is pretty cool too. He's really a pretty good songwriter, It's just a damn shame when a team like Gilmour/Waters go their separate ways. The result was better than the sum of the parts.

You're right, he's not as gifted a musician as Gilmour for sure. (He *was* a more than competent bassist) The last show I saw had pretty good sound, and I was even a little surprised at what he did with "on the run" and any "colour you like". I might call his versions the best I've seen to date.

And Live in Berlin is bloody good fun! (Except for Sinead O'Connor singing "Mother.... GAG me) C'mon, who doesn't love the Scorpions as the surrogate band!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gilmour played most (if not all) of the challenging bass parts like "Hey You".

Live in Berlin was.....Interesting.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

RADIO KAOS show that was in Tampa was good,
but seen Gilmour during his ABOUT FACE tour and IMO, was much better. Visuals and music.
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

so far two different sergeants at work and one Lt are trying for tickets. and maybe the guy who delivers our bread. it will be cool to have a contingent there.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Mortice Root wrote:Hmm, interesting. Has he released anything new recently? I didn't think so, but I may have missed it. I do really like Amused to Death, though that's 15+ years old now....
He released an opera.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I love Roger, have seen him twice and will probably see him again if he comes close but honestly he could have chosen something different this time, not DSOTM. I do not know, complete Animals maybe, or come up with something different, like The Wall spruced up with songs from TFC, they were intended to be the same anyway.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Indeed. He's gone to the DSotM well too many times.
Last edited by Cail on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

I was told that his Dark Side of the Moon tours from 2007 were easily the best going gig wise.

My partner saw him twice and worked one of the shows and he said he would have paid to see him again, which is something he never does.

I missed his UK leg of the tour unfortunatly so I hope he comes this way again sometime soon.
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

amanibhavam wrote
He released an opera.
8O Seriously? Is it any good? That seems surprising to me, because I never really thought Roger's sense of melody was one of his strong points. (He had plenty of other strong points, but melody, not so much.)
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

ÇA IRA

After many years of waiting, Roger's opera Ca Ira saw it's premièr performance in Rome on 17 November 2005.On this page, you can read reviews of the opera (Both the live performance, and the DVD) see a bunch of pictures, read up on the background and ACCESS VIDEO clip of the premièr which includes Roger's introduction.

The Times November 19, 2005

Pink Floyd never sounded like this (nor did Puccini) From Richard Owen in Rome

ROGER WATERS awoke yesterday to reviews judging him not as the famous co-founder of Pink Floyd but as an aspiring composer of opera.

Back in the summer the long-estranged Waters and Dave Gilmour played together for the first time in a quarter of a century, at the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park. This week Pink Floyd were inducted into the Hall of Fame at Alexandra Palace, with Waters taking part by satellite link from Rome.

His new incarnation is as composer of Ça Ira, a three-act opera about the French Revolution that took 16 years to write. The aim, he said, after the world premiere in Rome, remained to “create an emotional response”, and his inspiration came from Mahler, Brahms, Prokofiev, Verdi, Donizetti and Puccini. As Waters, 61, bounded on stage to greet the sell- out audience in Italian at Rome’s Music Auditorium, however — all open-necked shirt, craggy features and flowing silver hair — the standing ovation was as much for the rock legend as for Ça Ira.

“Waters is not so much Verdi or Puccini, more Andrew Lloyd Webber,” La Repubblica said. The opera was “eclectic” and derivative, with more “songs” than arias, and relentless crescendos in the style of Carl Orff. It was “like an elephant trying to take to the air with a small pair of wings”.

Yet what a bravura performance, said Il Messaggero, the Rome daily. It praised the staging and sound-effects, from cannon fire and the swish of the guillotine, to birdsong at Versailles and the ominous cawing of crows as Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette approach their doom. A chorus of young voices — reminiscent of Pink Floyd’s The Wall — provides a poignant counterpoint.

Waters was philosophical: the knives had been bound to come out, and at least his work was “genuine”. He had been working on the opera since the bicentenary of the revolution, when his friends Etienne and Nadine Roda-Gil asked him to set their libretto to music. The theme, he said, was not unlike The Wall: despair and deprivation giving birth to hope and the human spirit.

Ça Ira (literally “It Will Go” but meaning something more like “There is Hope”) is clearly inspired as much by the Paris of 1968 as by the Paris of 1789. Waters met Etienne Roda-Gil — who wrote songs for Juliette Greco, among others — during the 1968 student revolt.

Ça Ira was performed by the Rome Sinfonietta, under Rick Wentworth, the cast including the British singers Sarah Leonard and Keel Watson.

As for Pink Floyd, a further reunion was very unlikely, even though he had enjoyed the Live 8 reunion, he said. At Alexandra Palace, Gilmour had been in similar mood: “The Live 8 moment was a wonderful moment, but we’ve moved on and there are lots of other things to be thrilled about these days.”

Taken from the German Sueddeutsche Zeitung. 19 Nov. 2005

Ca Ira
Roger welcomed the audience in Italian, knowing that English is not "the fine way" here in Rome.

It has taken Roger Waters many years to write this opera, or at least what he thinks is an opera. It was obvious that this couldn't have been easy for him, compared to his music in the past.

It was hard to understand how it had taken him 15 years of work, but the fact is that this is his first attempt to classical music.

The word opera in this case is misunderstood. Etienne Roda-Gil wrote a narration for a single person to read. The appearance of libretto-events with no pause or stop, no middle, and no great finale, has forced Waters to take shortcuts.

The yearning of many pop musicians to write for a classical orchestra easily understood, but in practice leads to nothing, because pop music does not need the complexities and difficult apparatus of classical music.

Roger Waters obvious talent for composing complex shapes and soundbuilding is missing here. Rick Wentworth has tried to rectify this, but where there is nothing to find, there is nothing you can do.

The classical elements such as duos, triois or quartetts are missing completely. And such pieces must be in an opera to give the piece a kind of structure.

But being the first classical piece written by him, its not so bad. He needs some more efforts to come along with the difficulties and details of classical music"
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

the show last night was awesome! just great. mostly standards, but some surprises. roger's son harry plays kpiano for him.

set list.

In the Flesh
Mother
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
South Hampton Dock
Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

intermission

Dark Side of the Moon (entire album)

encore

Another Brick In the Wall pt II
Vera Lynn
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

will post pics and a review when i get up.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

In the Flesh - bombastic, but high spirited. woke up the crowd.

Mother - very well done. the female singer really stood out.

Set the Controls - smoking! really nice musical interlude in it. his band is tight.

Shine On - very moving. with pics of Syd playing in the background.
Have A Cigar - nice to hear Roger sing this! he needs to release it so I can replace the album version. his vocals are excellent tonight. only one or two misses.

Wish You Were Here - again, very moving tribute. I prefer the arrangement he did on his last tour, but this was very nice.

SouthHampton Dock - topical. no surprise except that it led to...

Fletcher Memorial Home - from his hugely underappreciated Final Cut. excellent vids showing various tyrants. extremely well done. I was stoked, I love the Final Cut.

Perfect Sense - other than the Marv Albert tape I love this song. again the female vocalist was outstanding. and I love the break where she sings!

Leaving Beirut - not a favorite. I would like to hear it in the context of an album. scored some points with the Texas lines. :)

Sheep - outstanding version! and the giant, inflatable pig came out. the crowed roared! the arrangement was a piledriver. excellent work.

interlude.

more later.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I guess the vocalist you're talking about is P.P. Arnold. She has done an awesome job on all of Roger's tours in recent years.

Return to “Vespers”