Unfettered Ones

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Unfettered Ones

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

There is a nice discussion in the non-spoiler forum about these guys.
But this unfettered topic can't come up there.
Does anyone thing that Anele is WAY too similar in hopes and plans for his unfettering to the Unfettered One sought by Triock?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

:lol:

No, I agree with you.
But the Unfettered One in tPtP came and went pretty quick.
We didn't get to know him.
And we still don't know much about Anele.
Plus, Lords all had the same powers and no one thinks it's odd.
Why couldn't two Unfettered out of unknown thousands spread out over 6000 years have the same focus?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Unfettered Ones

Post by SleeplessOne »

There is a nice discussion in the non-spoiler forum about these guys.
But this unfettered topic can't come up there.
Does anyone thing that Anele is WAY too similar in hopes and plans for his unfettering to the Unfettered One sought by Triock?
re-reading TPTP at the moment and was up to that point in the story last night; great chapter btw ('Message to Revelstone') and I too was struck by the similarities between the One that Triock and Quirrel came upon and Anele .. I dunno if it particularly matters that they both share a similar gift for reading the Land's history in stone, but what bothered me was that the One in TPTP was such an intriguing characterisation, whilst Anele just doesn't capture my imagination in the same fashion ..
Pumaman
Servant of the Land

Post by Pumaman »

I think Anele is more concerned with the the outcomes than the means. He's looking for the memories of the land before LF, Lords, TC, etc. I think he's looking for the reboot button.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Speaking of Anele....when you realized that SRD was setting him up as the "great savior" of the land, was anyone else dissappointed like I was? I just can't see any changes or revelations about him, without unmaking and remaking him into a totally different character that would make me go "Yes....Anele's the man!"

When Hollian's ghost said something to LA to the effect of "Take care of my son, he's what's important" my feelings were......umm can we trade Anele for you Hollian. You'd make a much better savoir. <grin>
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Endymion9 wrote: When Hollian's ghost said something to LA to the effect of "Take care of my son, he's what's important" my feelings were......umm can we trade Anele for you Hollian. You'd make a much better savoir. <grin>

No way!

Anele is a heart wrenching tragic character.
That fact that so much of what we all love about the Land hinges upon him is going to be some powerful reading in the future books.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Well hopefully you're right and I'll change my mind by the end of the series!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [u]The Runes of the Earth[/u] was wrote:Eathpower latent in his veins throbbed for conflagration. ... For an instant, a flare of Earthpower burned in his white eyes, set light to the water beading in his beard.
I think Anele would be the most powerful person in the Land, maybe the most powerful person *ever*, were he sane. The guy can say no to hurtloam ...

He does have a few of the characteristics of the Unfettered: an inability to follow the normal paths of responsibility; the ability to read stone as another Unfettered.

But these are slight, not solid. Anele has not been called to follow any private vision (unless you consider his madness just that). He was not called away as much as just felt daunted. And no one ever freed him from his responsibilities, either tacitly or implicitely, which is what makes an Unfettered Unfettered. There is nothing like a Council of Lords from which he is breaking away, which makes the notion somewhat meaningless altogether.

No, I don't see Anele as being Unfettered. I'm not even sure that such a state has any meaning in the age he was born, or the age he is now.

If remarked this many times before, I consider Anele to be more similar to a forestal than an Unfettered. Maybe (to use the word that has been coined) some sort of "stonestal". Or something even vaster - a caretaker of the Earth.

Something in him reminds me of Morgan of Hed.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I guess what bugs me about Anele is the whole astonishment, I can't do it thing. I don't remember anyone else in the land acting this way previously. So many heroic characters have gone beyond their simple strengths to do wonderous things. Only people from outside the Land, TC and LA namely, have wrung their hands and said I can't do it.

So compared to the least of the Hurachai, the least stonedowner, Anele seems like such a wimp to me. No matter how much power he has <shrug>.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

My posting wasn't to say whether Anele was a bona fide, certified, UL-test Unfettered.
But rather, THAT character was one of the first to get into the idea of the stones speaking, and retaining the history.
The way I understand the series, from this forum, is that the original series stands on its own. SRD came back to look at it, and created a LOT of Second Chronicles with Final Chronicles in mind. But he went back to the original to do it all.
I think he read that chapter and said, there's something MAJOR to it that he either missed or failed to develop in the original.
And we have found out in this section that the Wraiths are not just pretty. They are powerful. Or how powerful they actually are.
The only other place, outside Andelain, that we have seen Wraiths is in that cave with that crazy old man.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

SRD is great at psyching us out. I bet Anele is meant for something less obvious than we think... probably during AATE.

I'm betting he fixes the Durance in the next book, leaving The Last Dark for Foul and Roger resolutions.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I once posted about the similarities between Anele and that Unfettered One. There certainly could be two people w/ the same vision of hearing stone, but they appear to live in the same cave (the location appears to be the same and the descriptions are very similar). At the time my theory that they might be the same person was shot down. Oh well :cry:

Glad to see some others now taking up my torch. I suspect there's more to this than just a random similarity.

Also, remember that Anele gave himself the Rites, and had at least some level of blessing from the Haruchai. Anele probably heard about unfettered from Sunder, but the Haruchai certainly didn't have to teach him the song of the Unfettered. Remembering the Lords, they chose to support his path.

To me, his "unfettered-ness" is more thematic than specific - he *does* break away from his personal "council of Lords," the role that Sunder and Hollian want him to play. And he does have a personal vision, to follow his vision of reading stone. The madness comes later.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Seppi2112 wrote: I'm betting he fixes the Durance in the next book, leaving The Last Dark for Foul and Roger resolutions.
I suspect you're right.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea. He may be the hope of the Land, but there are bigger issues at stake. I can't imagine SRD would go through all this, to suddenly turn the Last Dark into "The First and Only Chronicle of Anele the Mad."

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Relayer wrote:Yea. He may be the hope of the Land, but there are bigger issues at stake. I can't imagine SRD would go through all this, to suddenly turn the Last Dark into "The First and Only Chronicle of Anele the Mad."
I don't mean to imply that's the way it will be. Ultimately, Linden will be the great hero. SRD wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

dlb, no implication taken, I knew what you meant. We all seem to agree on that (whether or not we're happy about it is another matter ;-) )

Return to “Fatal Revenant”