How did Berek Halfhand create the Staff of Law?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

How did Berek Halfhand create the Staff of Law?

Post by Mr. Broken »

This question was formulated under the assumption that he didnt have a spare Elohim, or Demondim spawn laying around , and didnt have a Dromond full of giants to get him to the isle of the One Tree.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

FR warning spoiler
Spoiler
Some of the answers to this question, but not the exact details, are addressed in Fatal Revanant-so be careful with spoilers.
Last edited by danlo on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I protest being labled as a spoiler, I have supplied no information, that cannot be found in the first two chronicles, unless you know something that I dont about the upcoming stories in which case that would make you the spoiler Neverwhatever!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It has nothing to do with you, you ask a very good question. I think, based on the first six, that we really don't know much of anything except that the Ak-haru was left to guard the One Tree.
Spoiler
We learn a little more about this in FR-as moderator I was warning others to chill with that info.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

we find out at the end of WGW that Vain , and Findail, are the two key components to the staff, not that Vains wooden arm in The One Tree wasnt a dead give away.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Here's what we know.

Berek went to the One Tree. He lopped off a limb. Then the Creator Guided him into fashioning the wood into the Staff of Law. The heels were added, and runes were carved upon it, either during this guided fashioning, or afterwards by the Old Lords.

That's it.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Right, as far as Berek and the first 6 books are concerned that's all we know.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

What i want to know is ...how did Berek set Akharu kenaustin Ardenol..spelling maybe off ...akharu was a Haruchai? or the Haruchai's ultimate test... Berek must have run into the Ho-aru or the Nimishi on his way to the one tree in order to set the guardian, it doesnt say AHKA was actually an Haruchai but that was my impression from questioning of the Haruchai. it was the One Tree during the long row to the Isle of the one tree Brinn telling the legend of Ak-haru..anyway.. so there must have been contact with the haruchai before they came to battle with Kevin and he won them over. always wondered what others thoughts were on that. and the Giants were known after Berek by Damelon.. so Berek would have had to make barter with some other people that were sea faring. he didnt make the worm restive by battle and was able to get the branch he needed, he turned to Cairn, (hehe..possible Haruchai name) and said, I need you to guard the one tree so no one wakes the Worm of the Worlds end..and Cairn takes the vow to sit at Worlds end for eternity binding him like the bloodguard to Immortal life. passing the guardian ship onto the next to deafeat him... Berek tells him "I am a profit as well as seer and oracle...you cannot stop the white gold if the wielder chooses assail you, it will not be the white gold you will do battle with, you will defend against one of your own people...do not let them pass or it is almost certain they will break the Arch of Time by waking the worm. then like someone said..maybe the Earthpower guided him not the creator..that would break the Arch of time if he interfered. 8)
so the earthpower probably carved the runes when the Heels were added during a ritual of blue fire sealed by the Firelions of Mt Thunder.

I HAVE NOT YET READ FATAL REVENANT... if im right lol but dont tell me....
Last edited by Blackhawk on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Um, read FR. That's all I've got to say. :)

Of course, what Wayfriend said remains true.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Very soon ... I hear theres no Audio book of FR so i will have to make my own again.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

The guy who read Runes, Scott Brick, is supposedly going to be doing it...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(I see a question in this forum, I answer as if the Final Chronicles didn't exist.)

Blackhawk, others have noticed the discrepancy you are referring to, and it has come up in threads before. Namely: how did Berek establish the Guardian when the Haruchai didn't meet the Lords until Kevin's time?

You can search around. I don't remember any specific threads at the moment.

Fist and Faith (?) asked this question in the GI, in 2004 (BFC). Probably in order to resolve the questions in those threads. SRD's response was not marked as a spoiler.
In the Gradual Interview, Donaldson wrote:Fist: We've been debating ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol's origin. Any chance you're willing to help us out? I don't know if it would be a spoiler to do so. Some think the Guardian was not aHKA until Brinn "conceived" of him that way. Some think aHKA was not originally a Haruchai. Some (me :) think aHKA was always Haruchai, and took on the job as the Guardian after Berek met him somewhere or other, and explained how important the job was.

And, again, THANK YOU for meeting with us at our Elohimfest!!!
  • More interesting, I think, is the question of how the Haruchai even know of Kenaustin Ardenol's existence. Nothing in the record (i.e. the first six "Covenant" books) suggests that the Haruchai were aware of the Lords in the Land prior to Kevin's time--and if they had ever had any dealings with, say, Berek, they certainly *would* have been aware of the Lords. So we can probably assume: a) Kenaustin Ardenol him/her/itself was not Haruchai; b) the Haruchai know of the existence of this being (which, by the way, is not the same as knowing of the existence of the Guardian of the One Tree) through some interaction outside the known history of the Land; and c) this interaction gave rise to the supreme Haruchai honorific "ak-Haru". More than that I can't say at the moment. The Earth is a whole lot bigger than the Land, and (like the Land) it's full of stories. I can't possibly tell them all.

(08/23/2004)
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

It's funny and refreshing to read the responses to this question. By those whom are known to have read FR and subscribe to the "super-secret-forum" area.
(not really a super secret but it does bide interest to ask for permission to that aea)
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Relayer wrote:The guy who read Runes, Scott Brick, is supposedly going to be doing it...
hehe..good..then i dont have to do it myself :)
again...

he did a pretty good job in Runes, i got it for Xmas.

Wayfriend....its hard for me to speculate now on some of the past before LFB,(but i will keep on trying :) ) now that its possibly coming up in his new books because of the attack on time. i am going to lose this stand still race of not reading FR. :roll:
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

wayfriend wrote:Here's what we know.

Berek went to the One Tree. He lopped off a limb. Then the Creator Guided him into fashioning the wood into the Staff of Law. The heels were added, and runes were carved upon it, either during this guided fashioning, or afterwards by the Old Lords.

That's it.
Was he guided by the Creator??? It's been a LONG time since I read these first two trilogies, but I thought that ANY influence from the creator on the Land would destroy the Arch? That's why he had to appear with a quick word of counsel to both Thomas and Linden BEFORE they entered the Land....
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

quite correct Sweet Bread, but also dont forget what actually happens when someone touches the one tree.
Wide Eyed Stupid
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

sweetbread wrote:Was he guided by the Creator???
Apparently so.
In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:"In sorrow and humility, the Creator saw what he had done. So that the plight of the Earth would not be utterly without hope, he sought to help his creation in indirect ways. He guided the Lord-Fatherer to the fashioning of the Staff of Law, a weapon against Despite. But the very Law of the Earth's creation permits nothing more."
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

"The devil doth quote scripture to further his own purpose" Dazzle me not with vague Nostrodamic prediction, I like you Wayfriend, I look forward to future debates with no resolution.
Wide Eyed Stupid
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

wayfriend wrote:
sweetbread wrote:Was he guided by the Creator???
Apparently so.
In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:"In sorrow and humility, the Creator saw what he had done. So that the plight of the Earth would not be utterly without hope, he sought to help his creation in indirect ways. He guided the Lord-Fatherer to the fashioning of the Staff of Law, a weapon against Despite. But the very Law of the Earth's creation permits nothing more."

OMG, if that's the case ......

then that means that ......

Interesting. New revelations....
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

Berek was probably guided the same way God guided Noah when
He said to build an Ark - "noah my son - here is some wood & nails - this is what a boat looks like - nail wood together into boat shape - don't forget to collect those animals - see you in 40 days....."

Creator to Berek " right Berek - you need to get a boat of some description - tell them to sail to these co-ordinates - look! just follow the stars ok? - when you get to this deserted island, you'll see a big tree - dont go chopping it down for firewood ok? - just lop off a branch - about 6 feet in length - stick these here metal bits on, carve it up like so - and hey presto - one Staff of Law!! - by the way I gotta go so you're on your own now... just keep an eye out for some chap called foul - apparently he will have it in for your grandson...byee" :biggrin:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”