The Haruchai were created by...

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

The Haruchai were created by...

Post by sweetbread »

With the whole concept of the Sandgorgons gaining their "insights" after Samahdi was rent by Nom, the extent of which are revealed towards the end of FR, I began thinking about the similarities that they have towards the Haruchai now. They communicate telepathically, which the Haruchai are able to hear as well, also they have left their homelands in search of conquesting, to prove their might over the other creatures of the Land.

Considering the Haruchai's intensity, and their admonishment of failure or weakness, wouldn't it be cool to learn that the Haruchai became what they are now by a Raver? Perhaps we will learn of a fourth Raver who was rent by just some Plain Jane group of people, who then became Haruchai. Wouldn't that be a low-blow to all the Masters of the land?
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

i don't know how many more blows the Masters can take!
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

It's an interesting theory, but I'm not convinced. I don't think telepathic communication could have only developed by rending a raver.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Which came first?
The Haruchai or the Raver.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

That's never been established, as far as I know. But my guess would have to be the Ravers.... I know that the Haruchai have been know in the Land for a lot longer than the Ravers, but considering that the Ravers are spirits rather than corporeal beings, I would have to assume that they have been around as long as Lord Foul, or at least the Elohim and Insequent....
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chicken or the egg??
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I know that the Haruchai have been know in the Land for a lot longer than the Ravers,
Why do you think so?
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

dlbpharmd wrote:
I know that the Haruchai have been know in the Land for a lot longer than the Ravers,
Why do you think so?
I agree... I was under the impression that the Ravers were used to instigate the war between the King and Berek's queen. That certainly pre-dates Kevin, and that's when the Haruchai entered the Land.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

The Haruchai entered the Land when Kevin was High Lord. They were informed about the Land by the Vizard during the time of Berek. The Ravers was known to the forest and the Forrestals long before that.

The question was the power that both the Haruchai and Ravers have. A form of telepahty. Did the Haruchai gains their mental powers during an event when a possible forth raver was rent? And was the power of this raver distributed amoung the Haruchai race?

Or was the power developed seperately?
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Covenant, and Linden both have on more than one occasion heard the disembodied voice of LF. The Lords , the Haruchai, and the Sandgorgon Nom also displayed telepathic abilities, too many avenues to explore.
Wide Eyed Stupid
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Ur Dead wrote:The Haruchai entered the Land when Kevin was High Lord. They were informed about the Land by the Vizard during the time of Berek. The Ravers was known to the forest and the Forrestals long before that.

Hmmm... I was under the impression that the Haruchai encountered the Vizard LONG before Berek, the Lords, or the revelation of Foul and the Ravers.

According to the history as told by Stave, the entered the "land of the Insequent," which, I am assuming is part of the same continent which the Land exists upon. Since the Insequent lived within the world at this time, I am assuming that this encounter was AGES before the history of the Land as we know it, else, there would have surely been more contact with the Insequent by the peoples of the Land...

Hmmm.... my chronology is amok. I feel like there's a caesure in my mind...
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Sweetbread.. look again at the Stave's story.. It was at the time of Berek.

The Haruchai didn't venture out of the mountains for a long time after being humiliated by the Vizard.

The time between Berek and Kevin's RoD was about a 1000 years. They met Kevin when he was High Lord, which means his father Loric had passsed away. It also explains why they don't remember first hand when Loric silenced the Viles.
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

Ur Dead wrote:Sweetbread.. look again at the Stave's story.. It was at the time of Berek.

The Haruchai didn't venture out of the mountains for a long time after being humiliated by the Vizard.

The time between Berek and Kevin's RoD was about a 1000 years. They met Kevin when he was High Lord, which means his father Loric had passsed away. It also explains why they don't remember first hand when Loric silenced the Viles.

Hmmmmm.... when did the Ravers become known to the Land? Was that during Berek's time or later?
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

The Haruchai were created by ....... a vigourous rubbing motion.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Ur Dead wrote:Sweetbread.. look again at the Stave's story.. It was at the time of Berek.

No, the time between Berek and Kevins RoD was longer. Kevin himself lived to a thousand years old when he died. And there's Damelon's and Loric's lifespan you have to take into consideration. I think it's closer to two thousand years.

Remember that in FR Roger wanted to take Linden and himself 9,500 years into the past when Damelon was High Lord and wanted to seal up the Earthboood. However instead the Theomach intervened and made it 10,000 years. And Damelon was a boy then.

Also the Haruchai encountered the Vizard *after* the Theomach had become the Guardian and therefore be unharmed by tellling the Theomach's name to the Haruchai. so they could have encountered the Vizard any time between after the first quest for the One Tree, and Kevin's early Lordship.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Oh yes..it was 2000 years between Berek and the RoD and 1000 years later when TC summoning. I stand corrected.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”