New Wave Sissy Boy 80s Hits You Were Afraid To Admit You...

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

danlo
Lord

New Wave Sissy Boy 80s Hits You Were Afraid To Admit You...

Post by danlo »

Yahoo!'s New Wave Sissy Boy 80s Hits You Were Afraid To Admit You Liked In High School
Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
No One Is To Blame - Howard Jones
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club
Poison Arrow - ABC
Save A Prayer - Duran Duran
Careless Whisper - Wham!
Hold Me Now - The Thompson Twins
If You Leave - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Blasphemous Rumours - Depeche Mode
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
It's My Life - Talk Talk
More Than This - Roxy Music
I Ran (So Far Away) - A Flock Of Seagulls
Promises, Promises - Naked Eyes
Perfect Way - Scritti Politti
West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
Only You - Yaz
Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Love Plus One - Haircut 100
True - Spandau Ballet

Fortunately I didn't go to High School in the '80s, but I liked the Howard Jones, Roxy Music, Haircut 100 and Flock of Seagulls. I'm surprised Come on Eileen wasn't on there...True has to be one of the weirdest songs ever written.
fall far and well Pilots!
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I liked Poison Arrow and Safety Dance the best on that list. Time After Time was Cyndi Lauper's best song.

I don't remember Haircut 100:?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Hey, I hated all of those songs!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

dlbpharmd wrote:Hey, I hated all of those songs!
I'm with you.
Somebody must have liked them though because they were on the radio all the time.
Yeah, all you kids, the radio.
And not just a radio but many were GIGANTIC radios.
:)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Love Plus One sounds a little goofy these days, but Love +1 it sounded a bit like Men w/o Hats and made absolutely no sense whatsoever-that's why I liked it-in the '80s. (Yes dlb & HLT most sucked, real bad...). Blame MTV<seriously that's where they all got their 1st play...

Tainted Love drives me totally insane (in a bad way)...
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Pet Shop Boys and Roxy Music are not sissy boys.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

High school??!!??!! That was my mid-20's :)

I kinda liked a few of these (don't tell any of my jamband-loving, prog rock-craving friends)...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Dear God, danlo.

I know every one of those songs and actually liked 3/4s of them. However I can't imagine listening to many of them these days. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

I really like Careless Whisper and No One Is To Blame. West End Girls and Safety Dance weren't bad either. The rest of them come close to inducing vomit for me.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Thank God Tears for Fears isn't on that list, I would have to put the hurt on someone then. (Head Over Heels RULES!)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Tears for Fears is great, Tam has two of their CDs and I enjoy listening.
(I love good sax and a little humor I think that's why Haircut 100 did it for me...)
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i wouldn't want a steady diet. but most of those songs are good songs that may suffer from 80's production. redo most of them and they would be hits today.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Much as I respect your views on music, danlo, you've got it all wrong here. I HATED school - nearly every single f***king aspect of it, and found refuge in a lot of the new wave music of the 80's - not necessarily all the songs on your list, but new wave in general. Thanks for associating my adolescent musical memories with sissyhood.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

one of my favorites of the 80's, rem - could never be mistaken for macho. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Starkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Starkin »

matrixman wrote:Much as I respect your views on music, danlo, you've got it all wrong here. I HATED school - nearly every single f***king aspect of it, and found refuge in a lot of the new wave music of the 80's - not necessarily all the songs on your list, but new wave in general. Thanks for associating my adolescent musical memories with sissyhood.
I'm with you on this matrixman. School SUCKED; the only thing I found joy in was the music at the time. I wish today's music sounded more like the 80's, over-produced sounds and all. Most of the songs on that list are great, especially "Hold Me Now" from Thompson Twins.

So call me a sissy boy all you like you 80's haters! 80's music fills me with joy. :)
"Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world. Be true."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Geez matrixman-I didn't make the list, some fool on a Yahoo blog did. I put it up to create discussion not animosity and I didn't say every song sucked.... :roll: Damm don't take it so fricking seriously.

The guilty party is named Robert of the Radish (see, he's such a sissy boy himself he won't use his real name. :wink: ) link You can listen to all those songs if you subscribe to Yahoo's new Music Jukebox-so actually it was a promotion-he just gave it a controversial name. Sorry, I thought it was funny...

I know how you feel-I was sent to an all boys boarding school in the middle of nowhere in 1970 and the upperclassmen pounded on us harder than usual because they were scared to death that they'd be sent to Vietnam. Back then the local rock station pounded us continously with Maggie Mae and Stairway to Heaven and despite how good Zepplin is I can't stand either song till this day.

I didn't say all these groups sucked, hell I was a major Fixx fan and owned two of Hall & Oates earlier albums including the Red Rocks one. I even liked Loggins and Messina and Seals and Croft and I've even admited once the I had Bananarama's 45 I Heard a Rumor. So defend your music, but don't take it all out on me.
Last edited by danlo on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Point taken, danlo, and I apologize for being belligerent in my earlier post. You deserve better than that. You caught me in one of my one-o'clock-in-the-morning moods. And yes, seeing the label "sissy" applied to music that was a fond part of my growing up put me in a fighting mood.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I don't think it's sissy music. It was cool in the eighties and I think it's still cool now. I LOVE Cyndi Lauper. What a set of pipes that gal has. I love her so much I created a tribute to her with the "Arch of Time" video in FBH episode 40. George Michaels put all his music up for free on his website cuz he already made his money and it's more important to him for his fans to have his music. How uber cool is that? There's nothing sissy about that.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I agree about Cyndi Lauper. "Time After Time" was a good song made great by her vocals. Really, her debut album was a tour-de-force. It helped, too, that she was backed up by the Hooters, another memorable act from the Eighties.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

As a sissy boy in the 80's, I enjoyed a lot of these songs. I used to try to feign macho-hood in Jr. High, but somewhere in 9th grade I realized that the really hot chicks really dug these sissy boys. Then I found that my voice most fit alongside these sissy boys, and I sounded considerably like Simon Le Bon. In high school, after I lost the birth-control glasses and found a wardrobe that I liked and set me apart from the t-shirt and jeans wearing every-other-guy, women finally took notice of me. Then I joined a band whose prime influence was Duran Duran, and I became more popular still.
So yes, becoming a sissy boy made me a man.

I still think a few of these bands are especially good. Like Men Without Hats, Depeche Mode, Cyndi Lauper and Duran Duran. However, Men Without Hats & Depeche Mode only had two solidly good albums and scattered nice one here and there, and Duran Duran I was never especially excited about, but because I sing like Simon Le Bon, I owe them thanks for getting in my first band. As for Cyndi Lauper, she's just damn amazing, and I still say Hat Full Of Stars is her best album out of a host of really good ones.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “Vespers”