Family Reunion

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Family Reunion

Post by Mr. Broken »

It seems we now have the makings of a good old fashioned family reunion. We have the Patriarch recently back from the dead, the X- wife ( get it X-wife), the ambitious, heavy handed son, the other woman ( high on Law, Linden really seems to have a George W. Landwaster quality to her), and the mute genius of a stepson who for all we know may be the Creator of the Earth. Oh yeah its on! Im excited about what is coming. Particularly the father, son confrontation. I for one hope there is some back handed batch slappin. Im also curious about Joans nature in the Land, will she remember the care Linden had shown her ,or will she fly into a Hairy Cat Fit? When you think of the possible ramifications of seeing these characters reunited, you have to wonder if anyone is going to survive.
Wide Eyed Stupid
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I know that there has to be some sort of confrontation at some point with some or all of these players, but I don't see SRD going for an "everything but the kitchen sink" scene for this.

The one confrontation that I really look forward to is the father son, Thomas/Roger confrontation. In a way, I feel bad for Roger. He effectively had his father ripped out of his life, and has turned into an evil shit because of his mother's madness. I mean, what kind of person might he have turned out to be if he had had his father's influence even for some of those formative years? Instead of having the influence of a person who had learned the habit of courage through hardship, sacrifice and loss, Roger had the influence of a person who had learned the habit of despair through evasion, self-delusion and lunacy. So in a sense: poor kid.

And we know that the guy hates his "shit of a father". What a tragedy. That resolution is going to be something for both those people. And the role Joan will play in that...???
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I'm not sure how meaningful a meeting between Thomas and his son Roger could be. They never saw each other after Roger was one year old and, they never tried to form contact after that, and as far as Thomas is concerned I don't remember him ever thinking about his son. He hardly paid him any notice even before he was diagnosed Leprous and his wife left him with him.

The only meaningful connection between them is Joan. And didn't Thomas say after he gave his life in exchange for hers at the beginning of the Second Chronicles, that all the debts he owed her were paid and now he was free? Would he still feel responsible for her? Does he care for her after he was with Linden?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Ah, I disagree. In fact, it was mentioned once or twice in The Second Chronicles that TC indeed did think about his son. I mean, how could he not? I'm sure he had to place him effectively out of his mind as a part of his leprosy training, as a means of survival. That doesn't mean that his son lost all meaning for him.

However, I do agree that TC feels free of Joan. He more than paid his debt to her, for her. At the same time, I think that any confrontation/resolution between TC and Roger may well have to go through Joan in some way, which may help her heal her long-standing madness. Both Joan and Roger require healing. It may not be TC to do it, but his presence and influence may be the catalyst for Linden to effect some sort of healing for them.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

earthbrah wrote:Ah, I disagree. In fact, it was mentioned once or twice in The Second Chronicles that TC indeed did think about his son. I mean, how could he not? I'm sure he had to place him effectively out of his mind as a part of his leprosy training, as a means of survival. That doesn't mean that his son lost all meaning for him.
Where was that? I remember him thinking about Joan, quite a lot despite what it cost him but when did he ever think about his son? Even before they separated Roger was not very high on his list of priorities. While his books were his grand creation, Roger was Joan's. It was his wife that interested him, not his son.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Ach, I'd have to look for the reference. But having re-read the Second Chons recently, I'm certain mention was made of the distaste TC still had about the way his son was taken from him, or something like that. Maybe it was only mentioned once, but the implication was clear: TC still loved his son, even though he had not seen him since he was an infant, further implying that Roger had never left his thoughts.

I'll try to look for the reference at some point soon. I want to say it was somewhere early on in TOT, but I could be sorely mistaken...
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
Sill
Woodhelvennin

Post by Sill »

I just finish the 1st & 2nd Chronicles also and there are referrences to it...can't remember where though.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Sill, do you think you could place your hands on one of those references? I'm gonna try to sift through and find one, but I don't hold much positivity that I will actually find one.

I'd like to be sure about this. :)
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Maybe we can find someone with an e-book version of the chronicles. It would be easy make a search for "Roger" in them.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Yeah, I think something like that's going to be what it takes. I just sat down to start searching for the reference the old fashioned way, and I realized that since I really have no idea where, or even in what book it might be in, I'd just be scanning page after page, hour after hour until I happened upon it.

Unfortunately right now, I really don't have time or patience for such an exercise. :(

Maybe a question for SRD on the GI?
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Linden , and Roger's next meeting may prove to be more entertaining still. I mean not only did Roger kidnap her son, consequently getting him shot, and placed under the influence of a Croyel, but he seeks the destruction of the Land. He'll be lucky if she doesnt grow a Cavewight out of his forehead.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I am also selfishly curious as to what Covenants reaction is going to be when he see's how the humbled have maimed themselves, I mean he probably already knows being the Time Warden, but I realize now after 2 books that the thing I miss about TC is the verbal tongue lashings. His unbelief, his resentment, and most of all his defiance. The one thing that really scares me, its that he will come back warm, fuzzy, and enlightened. I want my bastard back.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Mr. Broken wrote:I want my bastard back.
Best quote of the day :)
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

*To the tune of "I'm bringin' sexy back"*

I want my bastard back (HUGH!)
I want my bastard back (HUGH!)
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Well I do want my Bastard back, and I want him pissed off , and brimming with venomous retorts, and low blows. It seems to me that all of the current characters, but especialy the humbled , and Linden need taken down a peg. Our favorite Unbeliever is just the man to do it.
Wide Eyed Stupid
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

He could start off really content and happy (he's had nirvana for the last couple thousand years) but once he starts to interact with the rest of the cast (especially Linden) he'll be all Hellfire! and Bloody damnation! in a heartbeat because of all the stupid things they're doing.

I think he'll also be afraid to reclaim his ring because then he'll be responsible for his actions and not to be the total passive guy defender that he was up til now. So he'll have some angst at Linden for trying to push responsibility back into his hands after all the encouragements he heaped her with just to prevent this very scene.
Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Post by Aleksandr »

Re: Even before they separated Roger was not very high on his list of priorities.

TC barely ever knew Roger. Joan took him and left to visit her parents shortly after his birth. When she returned TC's leprosy was discovered almost immediately. It appears (per LFB) that never saw each other during the divorce.
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

It does strike me as somewhat odd that Roger harbors this animosity towards the Father that he has never known, and yet seems to view his mothers enslavement to Foul with indifference. He doesnt seem to feel any sympathy for her, in fact the impression that I got from TROTE was that he intends to see her punished as well.
Wide Eyed Stupid
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I guess Roger hates Joan somewhere in the deep precisely because he blames her for introducing him to the cult thus effectively giving him into Foul's hands.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “Fatal Revenant”