This just in : Rituals Of Desecration to be legalised!!!!!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

This just in : Rituals Of Desecration to be legalised!!!!!

Post by Landwaster »

Imagine. A bill has been prepared to legalise the performance of RoDs.

Frightening stuff.

Assuming we as the lawmakers were to bow to the pressure of the youth of today (the maybe kerboomers), who are keen on a little more freedom to make their own decisions.

The RoD is an obvious choice. These days more and more people are dabbling with Rituals, despite there being clear laws against such a practice. The argument for decriminalisation is becoming a louder and louder voice with each passing day. Overauthoritarianism, they scream. Stifling of one's natural creativity, others say. Every Land citizen should have the right to bear RoDs, is the general call.

The lobbying is now at such heights that to turn a deaf ear would be political suicide. The time has come.

So, the only decision more suicidal than refusing to listen to the proles' call for freedom of choice, is to legalise a dangerous practice without applying strict controls.

My question to you all is :

If the free practice of desecrative rituals is to be legalised, what controls would you consider need to be put in place to ensure that the council of the day does not become jotted down in history as the one that "allowed history to repeat itself"?

For instance, for a start, I think we should have a bar-code etched into each and every RoD produced, a licencing system linked to the indexing, and a log of registrars maintained by a policing force. Licences could not be given out willy-nilly, there would need to be a psychological assessment, character references, and an age limit.

Intended use is crucial; recreational ritual practice outlawed except during specified ritual sporting seasons and in approved areas subject to environmental studies of the ecology that may be affected by misuse. Employees who require access to RoDs during their natural course of employment will need Mark checks on a regular basis to ensure their suitability for ongoing employment in that field.

Pursuit of unlicenced ritual-holders would need to be hunted and pressured even harder than illegal users currently are. Licence issue will entail an application fee (refundable only if application successful), a cooling off period, and a purchase cost.

And we should tax the blazes out of licence sales. 50% levy on the original price (which is managed by the ritual generator companies, those being private operators operating under a self-regulatory regime but subject to irregular auditing and watchdog supervision).

Licences have a limited term of 2 years. They must be renewed each time they expire and the purchase cost re-applied again as a renewal fee.

Good Ritual maintenance to be rewarded with merit points. No point using demerits for bad maintenance as ... well bad maintenance is gonna cause our Quicken to crash anyway. Merit points can be reclaimed as discounts off renewals. But the levy remains at 50% of original price. Your renewal may be only 90% of original purchase cost due to merit points but it will still attract the full 50% tax.

Those currently illegally holding RoDs will be invited to return their rituals under a six-month amnesty, collection points will need to be set up at pivotal points throughout the land.

All unregulated ritual generation to be outlawed and punished to the full extent of the law. Rituals will carry a council seal that designates it as being an approved product.

Finally, all rituals are to fitted with a safety catch, and rituals must remain unloaded at all times except under the acceptable circumstances as referred above. Rituals must be contained in a lockable vessel at all times outside of the process of use, and that vessel must remain locked during those times.

Standard issue RoD containment vessels will be issued at a fee plus levy for a prescribed fee. No ritual to be sold by the generator in any form of dual vendor contract along with a vessel. No ritual generator to be licenced to sell vessels, and vice versa. Additional cooling off period mandatory between purchase of vessel and purchase of ritual. Proof of ownership of vessel must be shown before sale of ritual approved.

Any questions?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
hierachy
Lord

errm... yes

Post by hierachy »

Sorry I didnt read yor hole post cos im short of tim and its too long :oops:

But from the title I think yea, legalisation would stop the criminals making a hug profit from the ROD.

Furthermore up until this point I was not being serious; Now I will say tis once, and only once, the Ritual of Desecration Must not be legalised. I have seen the damage it would cuase in a dream. :twisted: :twisted:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Given that RODs have become so popular, isn’t it better to leave any regulation up to the individual community standards given the fact that they are part of the common culture today? Or better yet the responsibility should be shouldered by the singular person. An “If it feels good do it” approach can be a hazardous propect. Personal freedoms should not be truncated without good reason although RODs do tend to cause wide spread devastation. If there were no limits of any kind the future of our civilization could be threatened. Hmmm… I have to vote no on the Landwaster initiative.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yes I'm afraid I'd have to agree with clearfrontier's reasoning and arguement against the passing of such a bill ;) LOL

and join him in voting NO to the Landwaster initiative ;) :haha:

very clever tho' .. kudos

very analogous to global politics today .. clever ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

*sigh* can't say I didn't try :?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I support the legalisation of Desecration, but only for medical purposes. :D
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

danlo wrote:I support the legalisation of Desecration, but only for medical purposes. :D
One of the problems here is that is a lot of lobbying now against the testing of rituals on animals.
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Hey, I'll go along with it if I can try it here in my yard, on the neighbor's cat, preferably. :)

Now, really though, this is a serious issue. If enough of these Rituals were activated at the same time, the Earth could be destroyed.

Hmm.... I'd best go write my will then.

Oh why do I even bother!

:? 8O :lol:
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Perhaps with some work we can use a bit of modification to ensure available RoDs have limited geog extent.

Maybe a small meter at the side, that way you could choose the appropriate area ... eg (a la Arabian Nights) : "Size of a cat".
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

LOL .. and watch out for the slipery slope syndrome!! ;) ;) :lol:

:haha:

Counter to the benefits to the arms sales market .. i insist on the attachment of a WARNING to all RoD homekits and consumers: The RoD product can kill you .. is carcinogenic .. and clearly is harmful to health!!

and must provide all counter-indications listed on the side of the product ;)
Last edited by Skyweir on Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it seriously reduces your fitness.

But ... if pain persists ... see your doctor.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

LOL .. and .. he will pat you on the head .. if yer lucky ;) .. and tell ya to take a couple of panadols and come back in a week or two ;)

LOL just what they needed in the Land .. after RoD .. a couple of panadol ;)

the power of analgesics is clearly under-estimated ;) .. but not by their prescribed treatment rates ;)

I lost my arm!! .. mmm .. I see .. well go home and take a couple of panadol and i'll see you again in a couple of weeks if it hasnt grown back!!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Haha! Well maybe some shark cartilidge might be more appropriate for desecrative arm loss!

Cause otherwise its gonna be very painful in later years.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

How about low yield tactical RODs for military purposes?
Or perhaps for use as a replacement for gas grilling and microwave ovens. Hmmmm...

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Ahhh "low yield", that's the term I was looking for!

An RoD is most assuredly a WMD.

Keep out of reach of children.
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

Consumer protection legislation in this market is a must--given the high pressure sales tactics for which RoD arms merchants are so well known. Perhaps a three-day cooling off period during which the RoD can be returned for a full refund.

Buyers remorse is a not an uncommon characteristic of previously eager RoD buyers. One need only examine the immense letdown experienced by Trell after his flashy-but-unpopular RoD debut.

Really now, a sensible cooling off period or RoD buyback program could have really pulled Mhoram's bacon out of the fire, as it were.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Definitely a buyback for unregistered RoDs, and yes, a cooling off period following purchase ... I earlier alluded to a C.O.P. prior to receipt of RoD, but it might be worth having an additional one for after receipt.

There'd need to be very strict controls of authorised signatories too. Can't have the spouse of a licenced RoD owner saying "Honey, I'm just taking the RoD down to the shops. Which pedal was the brake again?"
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

"Can't have the spouse of a licenced RoD owner saying "Honey, I'm just taking the RoD down to the shops. Which pedal was the brake again?"

Oh my God. 8O

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

and lets think very seriously about the possession of wmd's .. as its a very hot global topic!

it might be ok for some nations to possess RoD's .. but do we want RoD's in the hands of rogue nations??
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

think of the trees :(

[edit coz i'm a mormon... mormon? i mean moron right? ... brain: Umm...]
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”