Multiple questions!

Those who do not learn history are doomed to use this quote over and over again.

Moderators: danlo, Damelon

onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Multiple questions!

Post by onewyteduck »

I've been spending most of my spare time over the past 6 months researching my ancestry. A side benefit of this is that it has been interesting and educating from a historical and geographical (many, many thanks to the internet gods/godesses for Wikipedia!) stand point. I have been left with some questions that maybe some of you could help with!

Re: Civil War. I have been trying, unsucesfully to find some information about "Ruffin's Rangers", a Mississippi regiment. All I have found so far is on Ruffin's Dragoons but that was a Texas regiment. Anyone?

Re: WWI....I have several conflicting dates of birth on my paternal grandfather. I have found his WWI draft registration card which puts him at 4 to 5 years younger than any census info I have found. The question is, what was the age limit at the time? I have to wonder if he lied about his age! He served in the USN as a Yeoman First Class. What would that involve?

Re: WWII, the film industry & my Uncle Lonnie. No, he is not an ancestor but is certainly proving to be the most interesting person so far. There are two things I am looking for.

1) He was co-pilot on a B-17F that was blown up on a mission to bomb the docks of Palermo, Sicily in March of 1943. I have found the missing air crew report which lists the serial number of the plane and a crew roster with name, rank and (I am making an assumption here) serial number. If my research on the MTO is correct, he would have been part of the 12th Air Force. I'd like to be able to get more information such as bomber group, bomber squadron, possibly find a picture of the crew and plane.....I can't get his records because I am NOT a direct descendent. (Which is sad since he left no children and he needs to be remembered!) Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find that kind of information? So far, I have come up totally empty handed!

2) Lonnie's WWII draft registration card lists his occupation as "Actor". I have a picture of Lonnie with Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby and Marjorie Reynolds. The notation on the back reads, "Lonnie on the set of Holiday Inn". I had never given it much thought till I found the draft registration but I have to wonder now, was he part of the cast? (A small bit part or extra perhaps? Would he have been using a stage name?) I am totally clueless as to how to even attempt to find this kind of information (have already tried the IMDB, nothing there.). Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I have never seen Holiday Inn. You can all bet your sweet ASSets I have it cue'd up in NetFlix!

I think that's it for now, think being the operative word here.

Duck out!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ruffin's rangers - i found mention of Ruffin's Calvary. same?
www.gwest.org/4thms.htm

yeoman
usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/yn.htm

my wife's father lied about his age during WWII. common practice back then.

find a local politician interested in veteran affairs. they should be able to get the military to cooperate in finding records. worked with my wife and her dad.

lonnie's last name?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

sgt.null wrote:ruffin's rangers - i found mention of Ruffin's Calvary. same?
www.gwest.org/4thms.htm

yeoman
usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/yn.htm

my wife's father lied about his age during WWII. common practice back then.

find a local politician interested in veteran affairs. they should be able to get the military to cooperate in finding records. worked with my wife and her dad.

lonnie's last name?
Dennis, thanks so much for responding and the links. The one on Ruffin's Calvary looks quite promising and is bookmarked for further research.

Glad you found me the yeoman info. It ties in with G'pa Lonnie's pre WWI occupation as a clerk with Galveston Wharf Company and post war with the railroad. I know it was common for men to lie about their ages, I am just trying to pin down an accurate date of birth.....it would add research options if I could.

As for Uncle Lonnie.....here is a copy of the Missing Air Crew Report and an account of the incident by one of the four men who were able to bail out before the plane exploded. I am in the process of trying to track these gentlemen down, to see if any are still living and if so, if any would be able and willing to talk to me. It's a bit long and for that I do apoogize.

Again, Dennis, thank you for your interest and the information provided. I think WGD's are called for!

Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

you are welcome. Paramount Pictures released Holiday Inn. i would try them for info on Lonnie. I found a complete cast & crew list and Lonnie doesn't appear on it.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/fullcredits

i looked up ss death records and found...

douglas j upton
ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

JIMMIE G MCLAUGHLIN

emmet cook

i don't know if these are the men. good luck
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Doriendor Corishev”