Bodach glas?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Bodach glas?

Post by Dawngreeter »

In LFB, when Osondrea was asking Birinair about how long it would take to make the Gildenlode keels & rudders for the Giants, Birinair said,
"The lore remains. But not easily. The best we can do. Of course. And time - it will need time. Bodach glas, it will need time."
Bodach glas? Is that the equivelant of "egads" or "holy $*&$" ?
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Well here I am responding to myself, I found this in the GI.
Andrew, Rio, Brazil: Dr. Donaldson,

.....One last question. Was it Birinir who caused subsequent problems for the Giants when he called on the Bodach Glas, while replying to Foamfollower and Osondrea in LFB? (or is that a spoiler?).

Many thanks for your excellent work, long may you continue !

I've read a number of Lester del Rey short stories, but none of his novels. In my opinion--and this is just my opinion--he was an intelligent craftsman rather than an inspired artist. I have no idea what effect his own work may or may not have had on his receptiveness to "Covenant".

Whatever it was that poor Birinair did, he is in no way responsible for anything that subsequently happened to the Giants. (Incidentally, I seem to recall that "Bodach Glas" has a source in English literature; but I no longer remember what it is.)

(08/17/2006)
Hmm, slightly let-down with this answer as I was hoping for some uniquely exotic answer. Oh well.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've mentioned this before, but due to the messed up search function, I don't remember any more than that (is our search function google dependent or vice versa?). However, Donaldson answers a very short question about it in the Gradual Interview.

Yeah, it's definitely a unique exclamation. It also happens to share the same syllabic pattern as 'Jesus Christ.' I don't think the context jives with Wikipedia's statement that "it was used as a pejorative term to refer to peasants or farmers (bothach) by the warrior class amongst the Scots."
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

I did a quick search on it and it seems that it's Gaelic for "Grey man/ghoul"

Here's a quick description from one site I found, though I'm sure there are more -
Bodach, Bodach Glas – A most decidedly malevolent brownie of the Scottish Highlands whose name means Old Man. He is notorious for entering human’s homes in the night and carrying off their children. In his more sinister aspect as the spirit known as Bodach Glas, the Dark Gray Man, he is a potent of a family member’s imminent death.
Found here.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

heres a tale of bodach glas

and I think it means Gray Messenger. or something along that line, iim trying to look it up to find an exact meaning. its Gaelic

OK..Bodach glas ...Glas Gaelic for Gray and Bodach from the Saxon Bode Means a Messenger,
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Sounds to me like Birinair is calling himself an Old Man, saying he's already old and now he is needing more time to do this task. I don't remember if Birinair was old or not. It's been a few months since I read that book.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

A necro-bump because I just re-read this passage and I questioned what it meant.

I like the idea of Birinair calling himself an old man, since it was clear that he was one.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Darrin Cole: No question just a reference for you.
BODACH
(budagh) The Celtic form of Bugbear, or Bug-A-Boo, literally, 'old man'. It was a Highland belief that the Bodach would creep down chimneys and steal naughty children, although in other parts it was considered to be a death-warning spirit. The Bodach Glas, or Dark Grey Man is a death token, of which Sir Walter Scott makes such effective use in WAVERLEY towards the end of Fergus MacIvor's history.
  • Thank you! Now that you've refreshed my memory: yes, "Waverley" is exactly where I got "Bodach Glas". Since I had no reason to believe that I would ever be published, I was just having fun with literary in-jokes.

(09/03/2006)
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Last edited by Lazy Luke on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

It seems to me, after reading wayfriend's explanation of 'Bodach Glas' (well actually SRD's but you get the point) that the reference was simultaneously a comment about being old and foreshadowing for the demise of the Giants at Coercri (since the Old Man/grey ghoul is also an omen of death).
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Last edited by Lazy Luke on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Lazy Luke wrote:I don't see how Birinair could have had any forebodings about the death of the Giants
Unless by pure coincidence I suppose. It seems unlikely.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Last edited by Lazy Luke on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Lazy Luke wrote:I don't see how Birinair could have had any forebodings about the death of the Giants, or himself for that matter. Thomas Covenant had yet to deliver his message to the Council of Lords.

I agree that 'Bodach Glas' does have an ominous undertone. The only other omen that springs to mind is the triple-winged hawk, shot down over Woodhelven. No doubt sent to mock the quest.
It could also been a wink and nod at us, as readers. Perhaps Birinair didn't mean it as an omen of death. They just happen to have a phrase that in our world can mean something else as well. We know something that the characters don't know that the author gave us as an easter egg.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”