Bloodguard... a little help here please?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Sharguild
Stonedownor

Bloodguard... a little help here please?

Post by Sharguild »

Curious, with the impending doom of the entire land at hand, would it not have been prudent for the Bloodguard to send a quick runner home with a message something to the effect of;

-Utter ruin and spoilage awaits...stop
- could sure use a few more bods...stop
- hope all is well at home, devestation on its way...stop
- Ooops, dying, got to go...

First Mark - Morin
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

not sure how the vow works myself, it could be that more haruchai could have joined the battle but they wouldnt be bloodguard possibly..no long lives and they would need sleep, and maybe not as good of fighters..but better than any 5 (at least) of the warwards best. and they would have loved the weather down at Revelstone compared to the ice caves they must have had to live up in the western mountains .
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

It always seemed to me like the Bloodguard were kind of cut off from the rest of the Haruchai race, as if they were a separate faction or something. The only way I know that they got more help was when they sent the dead bodies home for replacements, and then of course, it was too late. Maybe that was part of the reason they later felt that their Vow had been in vain and had been a mistake in more ways than one. If you are in a war and there are only 500 of you, and 200 are killed, and you don't get reinforcements until you saddle up the dead ones, they get home, and others have time to ride to your defense, then it's not feasible in terms of fighting to even have the provision in your Vow. The battle is over long before this all takes place, and who has time while fighting to tie dead bodies to horses? Assuming enough horses are still alive to assign one to each body in the first place? The Vow was made a bit hastily it seems. Had they possessed some Giantish blood, the haste would have not been present and maybe the Vow would have been more carefully thought out. I still believe we could, and should, have a whole series on the Haruchai, and another whole separate one on the Giants. There is no end to spinoff series potential IMHO.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Rocksister wrote:The Vow was made a bit hastily it seems. Had they possessed some Giantish blood, the haste would have not been present and maybe the Vow would have been more carefully thought out.

Agreed, Sister. They never intended to invoke "immortality," sleeplessness, etc. The Earthpower responded to their vow in ways they didn't imagine.
I still believe we could, and should, have a whole series on the Haruchai, and another whole separate one on the Giants. There is no end to spinoff series potential IMHO.
That would be awesome.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

perpetualchange
Woodhelvennin
Location: Close enough to friggin' drive to Elohimfest woo-hoo!

Post by perpetualchange »

Relayer wrote:
Rocksister wrote:The Vow was made a bit hastily it seems. Had they possessed some Giantish blood, the haste would have not been present and maybe the Vow would have been more carefully thought out.

Agreed, Sister. They never intended to invoke "immortality," sleeplessness, etc. The Earthpower responded to their vow in ways they didn't imagine.
I still believe we could, and should, have a whole series on the Haruchai, and another whole separate one on the Giants. There is no end to spinoff series potential IMHO.
That would be awesome.
Yes, I would love more backstory on the Bloodguard and the Haruchai in general, and just imagine learning about the Giants travels long before they ever came to The Land.

Donaldson, you have your mission! This geas has been thrust upon you and no dereliction or contrivance of insufficiency shall bring respite until your appointed destiny has been irrevocably fulfilled. When you arise and your countenance alights upon these passages your volition will merge with the desires of your followers and shall be forever tied to them.

Think that's gonna work :?:
"Speak to me of summer,
long winters longer
than time can remember"

"I still remember the talks by the water
the proud sons and daughters
that knew the knowledge of the land
spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The Bloodguard believed that they were sufficient. They did not contemplate the alternative, never mind plan for it.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Well well, seems PC has some authorish blood in the veins there. All that fancy vocabulary reminds me of someone. Just can't put my finger on who it is though. As Deer so eloquently reminded me in another post (with gentle sarcasm, no less), we don't want what SRD would "churn out" if he were in a hurry. I believe it would still be better than anything else we'd get, but not the astoundingly thought-provoking stuff we are getting at his current writing pace. How many authors who release books this infrequently have a users forum that gets DAILY posts from MANY readers? This is the only one that I know of. I doubt there'd be much to write about if SRD wasn't who he is. I suppose I should lighten up on the guy. He has, after all, entirely changed my world by opening my mind.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”