Gas Wars!

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

dlbpharmd
Lord

Gas Wars!

Post by dlbpharmd »

Here in my small town (LaFollette, TN.) we have a new gas station called Murphy's Express. I'm told that it's a subsidiary of Wal-Mart. Since their opening a few weeks ago, the price of gasoline has dropped nearly every day, and this morning the price for 1 gallon of regular unleaded was $2.96 per gallon. That's a whopping $0.50 less than the national average!

Most of the other stations are struggling to keep up. We have a history of price gouging for gas here - after Hurricane Ike, regular unleaded was $5.99 per gallon in parts of the county.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh....Not the type of gas war I was thinking.

As you were.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Sorcerer King
Woodhelvennin

Post by The Sorcerer King »

Cail wrote:Oh....Not the type of gas war I was thinking.

As you were.
I think that thread is titled "Flatulence Wars".
"The Sorcerer King ascended the throne, pushed the holy launch button and laughed like a drunken clown" - excerpt from Flower of Doom
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Don't pass a torch anywhere near that thread.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Or a baton, for that matter.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I've got to believe that passing a baton would be incredibly painful.
The Sorcerer King
Woodhelvennin

Post by The Sorcerer King »

Not as painful as passing a lit torch.
"The Sorcerer King ascended the throne, pushed the holy launch button and laughed like a drunken clown" - excerpt from Flower of Doom
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I don't know why anyone would want to do either of those things. . . nor am I going to think about it at length. :P

Gas is $2.79 this morning in my midwestern town, and looks as though it may fall further today. Yesterday it fell ten cents. I've got a 1/3 of a tank of gas in my car, and I'm going to wait to see how far it falls before I have to fill my tank. :)

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...damn...

Holding steady at $3.49 a gallon here...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can't believe there's a dollar difference or more difference across the mainland US.

AAA lists the average price at $3.48. Oaklahoma shows the lowest average, $3.09. Tenesee shows $3.56, Florida $3.56 too.

Is Wal-Mart dumping?

Or did you mistype a 2 for a 3 in the dollars digit?

Probably most areas are clinging to their high prices a little too long on their way down...
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

For some reason gas is always cheaper here than other places. And $2.79 is correct, not a typo. ;)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Where is 'here' for you?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

wayfriend wrote:Is Wal-Mart dumping?
:lol:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote:Where is 'here' for you?
Lyr lives in Missouri, IIRC.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Yep. I live in Springfield. You can click on the phoogle map below my post to see where I am. :)

There was a break in the rain, so I just filled the car's gas tank. Saving a few pennies isn't worth getting completely soaked later tonight when my fuel light comes on. And I did pay $2.79. :D

Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

dlbpharmd:
We have Murphy stations around here also and yes, it seems that they are attached to a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Although there are some "stand-alone" Murphy stations around too.
Lowest prices (usually) for gasoline.
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cheval wrote:dlbpharmd:
We have Murphy stations around here also and yes, it seems that they are attached to a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Although there are some "stand-alone" Murphy stations around too.
Lowest prices (usually) for gasoline.
Does Murphy's tend to drive the area prices down where you live?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Not sure about anywhere else, but Maryland has a price limit on gasoline (and cigarettes too). IOW, by law you can't sell gas for less than what the state minimum is.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Heh, another reason to keep living in Virginia, I guess.

Cheap gas in Manassas is about $3.39/gal. Or at least that's what it was yesterday. That's *very* low for the DC metro area -- in my old neighborhood, it's at least 10 cents a gallon more.

We don't have a gas station attached to a Wal-Mart here, but we do have one at Costco. They are typically among the cheapest deals (but of course, you have to be a member to buy gas from them). The sweetest deal hereabouts is Safeway, which was giving a 20-cent-a-gallon discount at their gas pumps for buying at least $50 worth of groceries.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

In Edgewater yesterday it was $3.15, in Millersville (20 miles away) it was $3.35, in Bethesda (home, 45 miles away) it was $3.64.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”