Does Esmer Love Linden?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Does Esmer Love Linden?

Post by lurch »

Seems to me Esmer Loves Linden. On a Plot level, how it is that hes there at all, his continuing appearances at crucial moments, his mysterious guidance with oblique and obtuse hidden meanings, heck !, his presence that disables Lindens health sense and access to White Gold,,etc etc.,,all together seems to me as a huge expression of Love. What kind of Love is that, you may ask. Maybe that is what I am getting at.

Its definitely not infatuation, kiddy love. More than rainbows, and lollipops. Its more than , if you Love me , I'll Love you. Its a Love that evokes, elicits, conjures,,maybe that of an Empath. Its a Love ,,that in its conflicted reality,,inspires Linden to resolutions above and beyond the conflicted. It is a Love that brings Linden to an empathetic realization of her Self,,a Love of Who She Is. Esmer, the Time Tripper,,already knows,,sees,,Who Linden IS.

Every thing He does, has done,,is to bring Linden to Her Self. Some is very painful and very straining. Some is hidden and only understood at a later time and place, yet,,overall, there is a care, a force of subtle want for the Magnificent that is Linden's Potential...Who She IS.

From the beginning of the Last Chrons, there is the issue of unreturned Love. Linden pines for the dead Convenant and has an adopted son who is autistic , unable to return any recognition, emotions, intra action, with Linden. In a way, Linden has become the same. But in FR,,Linden starts applying words and comments directed at her from Esmer, and others, to her situation of whatever chapter,,and is " enlightened" by the words. We see a softening by Linden towards Esmer. Seems to me, Linden may actually return , actually realize an " exchange" of Love, a subtle want for the Magnificent, that is Esmer.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:goodpost:

*wishes the Watch's Esmer was here to see that*

...I miss his presence...
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Well don't we ALL LOVE Linden Avery???
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

ninjaboy wrote:Well don't we ALL LOVE Linden Avery???
Yes, but for many folks here it appears to be a "love-hate" relationship. They love to hate her. :lol:
... nobody I know.
Fullmetal660
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Fullmetal660 »

AjK wrote:
Yes, but for many folks here it appears to be a "love-hate" relationship. They love to hate her. :lol:
It is indeed, all hail THOOLAH!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Hey! I resemble that remark...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

No.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Warmark wrote:
No.
I second that one. I don't even love to hate her, I just hate her.

Does Esmer love Linden Avery? I don't know, and I somewhat doubt it. Lurch's arguments are quite compelling, but not conclusive evidence. We will just have to wait and see.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..conclusive evidence,,??...HA! I don't need no stinkin conclusive evidence!! Is there Ever, conclusive evidence enough when it comes to Love? NO I say! Even the words, I Love You..can not be taken as conclusive evidence because they are soon followed by..I'll cal ya..or I gotta go.. or whatever..Conclusive Evidence!! LOVE?..for the doubting mind there is Always the lack of ..conclusive evidence. There is no conclusive ,,about Love. Love is not parameterized by,,Conclusive. Matter of ..whatever..Love is not parameterized by Anything!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Sounds to me like Lurch loves Linden.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Rigel wrote:Sounds to me like Lurch loves Linden.

...and why not?..as a fictional character, Linden is slowly peeled open, exposed to us as she is to herself,,so loving Linden is just about required for the reader inorder to stay involved through 4 books over how many years. Seems to me " Loving" Linden opens up the " between the lines" to be some what readable.

and..how can a reader trudge thru 4 books and x amount of years,,and hate the main character? Seems to me a waste of energy. The author created this character and he says he loves her. So,,it seems to me,,i have to have a Love in place inorder to see why the author Loves her...or.. to see the Love the author has used in shaping her and her arc. Perhaps Esmer is the author.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

lurch wrote:
Rigel wrote:Sounds to me like Lurch loves Linden.
...and why not?..as a fictional character, Linden is slowly peeled open, exposed to us as she is to herself,,so loving Linden is just about required for the reader inorder to stay involved through 4 books over how many years. Seems to me " Loving" Linden opens up the " between the lines" to be some what readable.

and..how can a reader trudge thru 4 books and x amount of years,,and hate the main character? Seems to me a waste of energy. The author created this character and he says he loves her. So,,it seems to me,,i have to have a Love in place inorder to see why the author Loves her...or.. to see the Love the author has used in shaping her and her arc. Perhaps Esmer is the author.
Lurch, I dub thee a full-fledged member of Linden's Army. Such sentiments are the essence of our charter.

I have sent you a Linden's Army item in honor of your admission. Go to Items > Trade Items to claim it. I hope you wear it as proudly as you say it.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

...oh...

*gag me* ;)

HAIL OPAL!!

(we need an item tag)
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

So we've established that everyone here loves Linden.. (Everyone who denies this must obviously be in denial.. You can love someone and still be frustrated by the decisions they make..).

Esmer definately seems drawn to Linden, but I would have to say more out of his Haruchai sense of servitude to the Chosen more than any personal emotional love.. But I may be wrong..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Ninja..AAh! there is a fantastic paradox..Esmer is drawn to her out of his haruchi servitude....If you accept that, then you have to accept,,that there is also the wanton lust of merriwives involved....So, the stoic servitude and the wanton lust,,,,hhhmmm..and don't forget Esmer is pissed off that he is " parameterized" by those two" pasts". There is the element that he too wants to escape, go beyond, be more than, his " genetic" past. He curses the conflicting forces of his " Being".

So..to go beyound that which you curse.......to escape your " parameterizing " past...to be more than your conflicting heritage.. requires...Love. Seems to me,Esmer and Linden are the male and female of a similar arc...perhaps the Same Arc. Seems to me..the two are taking each other beyond Themselves. Love.

And... Thanks Way friend!!.. i go claim the Talisman and post it with ..Love.
pg4 TLD
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Well all I can say is that if Esmer loves Linden but his mere presence makes her stomach queasy then this story line is no longer fantasy. Rather it is a SRDocumentary of my high school love life. :biggrin:
... nobody I know.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Excellent!!..the big Queasy...so exaggerated yet so true as done in South Park to The Last Chrons..the unnerving, dislocation, physical manifestation of being of Love...
pg4 TLD
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

lurch wrote:Ninja..AAh! there is a fantastic paradox..Esmer is drawn to her out of his haruchi servitude....If you accept that, then you have to accept,,that there is also the wanton lust of merriwives involved....
Remember, though, that the passion of the Merewives is for betrayal.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Rigel wrote:
lurch wrote:Ninja..AAh! there is a fantastic paradox..Esmer is drawn to her out of his haruchi servitude....If you accept that, then you have to accept,,that there is also the wanton lust of merriwives involved....
Remember, though, that the passion of the Merewives is for betrayal.
as all Lust is....
pg4 TLD

Return to “Fatal Revenant”