Mech games and why no one can get them right for some reason

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Kevin164
Giantfriend

Mech games and why no one can get them right for some reason

Post by Kevin164 »

Anyone find a good giant mech game? I like this new Armored Core game For Answers, ( that's the title I swear) but it looks so fast that all you're doing is strafing right to avoid millions of missiles. The old AC games were slow and too much heat sink problems. Chrome Hounds shines only in Multi-player mode.

I hope they can find a happy medium on the next Armored Core game where you're in fight that can go both slow and fast so you're not bored but also just mashing buttons to escape a pounding.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I guess you could just put in Mechwarrior 2 again :

(The Zone of Enders Games were pretty good. And Xenogears?!)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I've only played Mechwarrior 2 for PC. The gameplay was interesting but kind of clunky. It would be cool to revisit the game or take a look at what would be considered an improved product.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Mech warrior 2 was to riddled with heat sink limitations and slow. I don't know I think if large mech combat was realized in reality it would be more along the lines of Tank Combat. Find a hill and blast away from a distance then find cover. Support units would have to be in play and supply issues would really muck up the battlefield.

I wouldn't mind a Mech game that followed along the route of Appleseed and Land-Mates. Only I would rather they not follow the story line and just let you make your own way in the Olympus city as either a Terrorist or E.S.W.A.T member.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I loved MechWarrior 2, I used to like using the Nova all the time even when it was way outgunned on paper, as it could fly and could fire its little guns for ever. It was quite slow though, unfortunately the copy I had won't run on XP for some reason.

Chromehounds is good on multiplayer and it's a lot faster, but I don't really get the proper mech feel I want from a mech combat game. The other one I'd think about is Steel Battalion for the original Xbox, which came with its own four piece, seventy-something button controller that you could only use with the game and its sequel. Gamer's vanity has always compelled me to want it and it's supposed to be a very good mech game indeed, but it's very expensive and the official servers were recently taken offline (although you can still arrange peer to peer matches through the game's online community).
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

I remember Steel Battalion, you are very correct on the price tag for that game. The controllers were riddled with toggles and expensive. There was a couple Robotech games out but they didn't look very good. I get kind of bored while circle strafing for hours trying to kill and opponent. Robotech seemed that way when I played it.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I'd say Virtual On was the best mech game I've ever played...but even that got boring quick - they just all are missing that something...hrm..
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Mechwarrior 2 was awsome! The heat sink "problems," I think, were intentional. They forced you to carefully think about your setup, rather than just throw the biggest guns on every time.

Not to mention, it was literally the first game to utilize a 3d card (Remember the Monster3D, complete with pass-through cables? :) ).

I've seen some other Mechwarrior games, but they all felt too "arcade"y for me. 2 really felt more like a sim.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I never played MW2, but it seems that it's not necessarily the developers getting it wrong...maybe it's the concept that is lacking?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “PC & Console Games”