Gran Torino

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Worm of Despite
Lord

Gran Torino

Post by Worm of Despite »

Wow...what a film.

There was some very great tension, more humor than I expected, and just an overall commanding performance by Eastwood. This man has perfected and honed his craft as a director and actor; the imagery and colors are stunning, just the way the camera moves. The film is rather conventional in certain parts, but again, Eastwood's attention to detail and his delivery as Walt push it to impeccable. Definitely buying it and watching it repeatedly, like Unforgiven.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

If it's as good as Unforgiven, I'm sold.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think it's far better than Unforgiven. Eastwood's performance is fantastic.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's not as good as Unforgiven, but it is excellent and Eastwood's performance is indeed fantastic. I wouldn't mind going to see it again in the theater. I will definitely buy the DVD.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

I always struggle comparing movies to other movies. Suffice to say that even if I wasn't a hardcore Eastwood fan I would still have been blown away. I also will see it again in the theater (the first showing of the day in our theater is only $5!) and purchase it upon release. Great balance of humor and seriousness (for lack of a better term.) Clint had to kinda carry the movie in terms of acting ability but the other characters were good, too.

A lot of people & reviewers refer to Walt Kowalski as a composite of all of Clint's previous characters. Aside from the fact that he did spit tobacco a little like Jose Wales I never bothered with the comparisons. I am sure that many of us approaching fifty years old remember folks like Wal ... I mean ... Mr. Kowalski. Great character! I hope Clint finally gets Best Actor.
... nobody I know.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Excellent film.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I read that it cost Clint 33 million to make, and has already made over 100 million. Good for him. I'll have to check this out.
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

It was a very good film. Struck just the right notes. I have heard others argue that Mr. Eastwood has a bit of a Jesus complex in this movie... but I just don't care - the movie is good enough that he gets a pass from me on that.

D
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Malik23 wrote:I read that it cost Clint 33 million to make, and has already made over 100 million. Good for him. I'll have to check this out.
That is what happens when you don't need to spend an extra $67M on CG and special effects (and salaries of other famous actors. :biggrin: )
Brother Charn wrote:It was a very good film. Struck just the right notes. I have heard others argue that Mr. Eastwood has a bit of a Jesus complex in this movie... but I just don't care - the movie is good enough that he gets a pass from me on that.
Agreed. I only really noticed this at one specific point but I won't say in order to avoid a spoiler.
... nobody I know.
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

This was a great film. I saw it last night.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Solid-killer flick!
fall far and well Pilots!
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

danlo wrote:Solid-killer flick!
Agreed. Just treated myself to purchasing the DVD. I shall be watching it again today as part of my "ignore that the weekend is almost over" ritual...
... nobody I know.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Weekend's almost over ritual . . . I like that. I think I'll go out and rent the Blu-ray today. I'm ignoring that the weekend is almost over by having a noon beer. :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

As soon as I can, I'm buying this DVD, I absolutely LOVED this movie! Some might say that's because I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, others that Eastwood's character embodies all the characteristics that I wish I had, either way, excellent movie, up there with Heartbreak Ridge and Unforgiven.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I finally saw it. Wow, what a fantastic film. I loved how they set up the confession issue. I don't want to spoil it, so . . .
Spoiler
When Walt told the priest that the things that haunt a man the most are the ones he wasn't ordered to do, we know that a dark act lurks in his past. And we know that at some point in the movie, it's going to be revealed. When he finally goes to confession, we are led to believe he'll finally reveal this "crime." But he doesn't. He reveals it to the kid instead. And the point of this being his real confession is driven home visually by the metal screen door he used to lock the kid in his basement--very similar visually to the confession booth thingie (I'm not a Catholic, forgive my ignorance of what this is called). That was a nice detail.
But this movie wasn't as good as Unforgiven. That movie transcended a genre, redefined it and made it into something we've never seen before. It took the cartoonish, mythic and sometimes ridiculous heroism of the Western and made it real. It took all the cliches and expectations built into a Western, and self-consciously critiqued them while simultaneously making use of them.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I haven't seen Gran Torino yet, but I totally agree with Malik's comments on Unforgiven.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

dANdeLION wrote:I haven't seen Gran Torino yet, but I totally agree with Malik's comments on Unforgiven.
Orlion snarls a little bit, and then growls, "Get off of my forum" 8)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I saw it in the theaters a few months back. Loved it. Outstanding film all around. Already picked it up on DVD yesterday.

-jay
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Malik23 wrote:
Spoiler
the confession booth thingie (I'm not a Catholic, forgive my ignorance of what this is called). That was a nice detail.
Spoiler
IIRC the confession booth thingie is called a Confessional. At the risk of offending any fellow/former Catholics I have my own "confession" to make. About 20 years ago when visiting friends in my old stomping grounds in Pittsburgh, PA they took me to a former Catholic church that had been purchased and turned into a bar. The novelty was that they kept intact as much of the church's interior design as possible so that you felt that you were drinking in church. To this day whenever I hear the word "confessional" I internally translate it to "urinal". Sigh...
Malik23 wrote:That was a nice detail.
agreed!
... nobody I know.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Orlion wrote: Orlion snarls a little bit, and then growls, "Get off of my forum" 8)
This isn't your forum.

And your delivery pales in comparison to Eastwood's.

:biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval

Return to “Flicks”