Heroes Season 3.5

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

dlbpharmd
Lord

Heroes Season 3.5

Post by dlbpharmd »

Heroes returned last night - not that I really care, because IMO the show is a pale shadow of its former, great 1st season self. But, I still watch.

So, last night's episode was a good start. I'm a little tired of Nathan good guy 1 minute/bad guy the next Petrelli. But, Sylar is still great. Peter is still a big wuss, but I have a question: Why did he need to touch Mohinder to gain strength? He's never had to touch anyone to absorb their powers before; close proximity was all that was required.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with Heroes as well. I hear that a writer from season 1 who went off to work on Pushing Daisies has returned and the show is supposed to get better. But we'll see. If it doesn't improve this season, I think I'm done.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

It wasn't bad, I'm hoping for the best.

I agree, Peter never had to actually touch someone before, I kinda think the charge showing him getting the power was a neat new touch though. And Peter really needs to learn to stop hugging family members when discussing their plans for world domination.

Nathan's change still seems forced, but, I suppose I'll just accept it as a reboot and see if it pans out or not.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Meh. I'm still watching, but the show is losing ground fast to the other things I could do besides watch TV.

So, are the heroes about to crash on a strange, remote island with no means of rescue and disturbing continuity errors? :P :rant:
ItisWritten
Brother Charn
Giantfriend

Post by Brother Charn »

I haven't been 100% with this show since the writers' strike in Season 2.

I got cornfused near the end of this last arc - but I'm a sucker for comic-book stories - so I'll probably keep watching, if only to comment on the show's decline. <sigh>
BCakaDWakaD!

- Brother Charn
"Shadows beware! The Light of Day shall find you, no matter where you lurk." - Archbeacon Davos
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Watched the first two episodes last night on TV. It still doesn't quite sit right with me that the show seems to be quite comfortable redefining the characters and relationships to suit the story they want to tell each volume, even down to reworking their superpowers. The most glaring being the back-and-forth good-to-bad of Sylar's character, or how each season apparently needs someone to predict the future, and every time it's a different person using the same paint-the-future trance.

Still, if you can accept that as just a style choice in the comic-book-homage sense (along with the slightly contrived set-piece scenes), then it's still an entertaining show.

On the subject of the power-changes, the show really has a problem as far as Peter goes. They made him too powerful in season one (think Dr. Manhattan - Peter would have eventually become virtually omnipotent), and have to keep finding ways to hold him back without making him useless. Hence he loses his memory and forgets how to use his powers, then he has his powers stolen, and now he can only have one power at a time. He was a more satisfying character in season one, but they can't really allow him to develop in that direction without making every problem in the show solvable with "get Peter to fix it".
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Well, I freakin' hate this show now. I'm still watching, but I don't know for how much longer. Peter's a pussy, Claire is a brat, Hiro is annoying and Sylar is just another name for Jekyl/Hyde.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Just watched the latest episode. So far, the Sylar storyline is crap, feels like all filler.
I'm getting strong Buffy/Joyce vibes from the stuff with Claire and her mother, a little too cliche maybe.

Overall, the series continues to have interesting (though generally derivative) concepts, but the execution never quite sits right with me. If the show had a different style or tone I might be enjoying it more.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Murrin wrote:Just watched the latest episode. So far, the Sylar storyline is crap, feels like all filler.
I'm getting strong Buffy/Joyce vibes from the stuff with Claire and her mother, a little too cliche maybe.

Overall, the series continues to have interesting (though generally derivative) concepts, but the execution never quite sits right with me. If the show had a different style or tone I might be enjoying it more.
The show is like a train wreck, ever since S2, and I know I shouldn't watch, but, I just can't help myself. Admittedly there is worse shows out there to spend time watching, though. It seems like they are only one or two steps away from greatness though, and hard to give up on. S3.5 is definitely an improvement of S2 and S3.0
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think series 2 could've been great if done right, they started off too slow then had to rush it because of the strike.

The issue with 3/4 seems to be that they've set up some overall plan for the storyline, but they put so much focus on the parts that make it up that they've left no sign the plan is there. The show feels like it changes direction every few episodes, when it should have been portrayed as pieces of a larger story.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

OK, we just finished the first half of Season 3, and I was rather annoyed by every single frapping character changing sides at least once per episode.

Hopefully, the next half of the season will be better... I haven't read this thread yet, but I will once we get to the end.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Its alright, it is watchable. I hope Sylar returns to his evil power stealing self because he sucks at the moment.
Is it me or they making Matt really powerful; telepathy, mind control, illusion creating, mediumship and now precognition.. too many powers lol
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They do that all the time, then have to find ways to take characters or powers out of the way in the next season to fix it (see Peter, Sylar, Hiro). Expect Matt to be incapacitated or made powerless at some point.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

The answer, of course, is to set off the fire alarm!
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

The most idiotic characterization is going on with Nathan. He supposedly went "ruthless" turning in all the other heroes, and yet he really isn't.

How else can you explain, after the military guy (can't remember his name) discovers Nathan can fly, no one just pushes him out the window? HRG was there, too, and is certainly ruthless enough. They'd just cut the guy out because he had gone too far, so killing that loose end would have been logical.

Nope. Nathan flies away. HRG lets this guy live and has to work with him again, when he was about to have real authority. Makes no sense.

Oh, but it does to the writers, since they want Sylar to work with him. Can't kill off a story line like that. :roll:

Inconsistent characterization is, well, fingernails on the chaulkboard to me.
ItisWritten
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That scene had a very prominent blinking red light in the background when the military one was talking - they were on camera.

I'm still not sure that scene was enough reason to turn around his dismissal and chuck Nathan out of the operation. Military guy gets away with all sorts of stuff, surely Nathan could've covered up the whole pushed-out-of-a-window thing, and military guy was already out of the picture thanks to Angela Petrelli.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Murrin wrote:That scene had a very prominent blinking red light in the background when the military one was talking - they were on camera.

I'm still not sure that scene was enough reason to turn around his dismissal and chuck Nathan out of the operation. Military guy gets away with all sorts of stuff, surely Nathan could've covered up the whole pushed-out-of-a-window thing, and military guy was already out of the picture thanks to Angela Petrelli.
I'd forgotten that. Still, one good push deserves another, and a literal loose cannon requires a muzzle, not an atta-boy. It's the double standard in the plot; one can conspire to blow up a man in a public place and shove a politician out a window, but another can't also push the pusher?
ItisWritten
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

ItisWritten wrote:
Murrin wrote:That scene had a very prominent blinking red light in the background when the military one was talking - they were on camera.

I'd forgotten that. Still, one good push deserves another, and a literal loose cannon requires a muzzle, not an atta-boy. It's the double standard in the plot; one can conspire to blow up a man in a public place and shove a politician out a window, but another can't also push the pusher?
I agree with your logic, but, I suspect their logic (if they are using ANY) is that simply cutting off the head of the dragon (pushing the Hunter out the window) won't make the problem go away, because the dragon will just grow a new head. Therefore the solution to the problem Nathan has created, is to expose the lengths the Hunter (or his ilk) will go to, and make it public and very unpopular, so a replacement of the Hunter's ilk won't be assigned within a week's time. This would assure that someone of Noah's ilk would be allowed to run with the program with a modicum of logic and compassion.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They'd already accomplished that when he was kicked off the operation and Nathan was about to go and introduce Noah to the people in charge. That's why it doesn't really make sense for them to reverse all that had been accomplished with one push.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Murrin wrote:They'd already accomplished that when he was kicked off the operation and Nathan was about to go and introduce Noah to the people in charge. That's why it doesn't really make sense for them to reverse all that had been accomplished with one push.
This is true, but, being a Gov't operation, there is no reason not to believe in a week's time Noah might have to deal with another one just like the Hunter.

(Don't mind me, just trying to find some logic to the writing :roll: )

Return to “TV Shows”