Your Favourite Pure RPG Ever?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Your Best/Fav/Greatest Pure RPG Ever?!

Final Fantasy
No votes
Secret of Mana
17%
Phantasy Star
No votes
Chrono
8%
Suikedon
8%
Grandia
No votes
Other
67%

Total votes: 12

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Your Favourite Pure RPG Ever?

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Not franchise...cause that's pretty pointless...but single game, drop a post after your poll pick to let us know which one and why...

As far as Other options, well, if you're a RPG fan, I don't need to list 'em.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It's a very, very close race between Secret of Mana and Terranigma. In the end my vote went to Mana, simply because I occasionally get 'Mana moods' when some sight or snippet of music (frequently some little ditty that reminds me of this melody) drops me right back into the feel of the game. Much as I love Terranigma, it doesn't have that effect.
Last edited by CovenantJr on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Baldur's Gate - Shadows of Amn
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I went with Secret of Mana before I remembered Baldur's Gate. That would have gotten my vote.

Although I'm nostalgic about The Bard's Tale, as it was the first CRPG I played :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

CHRONO FLIPPEN TRIGGER.

I donno, but I hated Secret of Mana.

-jay
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Brinn wrote:Baldur's Gate - Shadows of Amn
That was my favorite game--period--for a long while. Still, these days, I'd have to say either Chrono Trigger or Mother 3 do it for me, RPG-wise. I've been appreciating the Japanese RPG format and all its story trappings. BG2 had a story, yeah, but it was distant as you weren't being pushed along with it but rather falling into it when you so chose.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Ooh, a Metal Slime! Those guys were TOUGH! Didn't they have something like 999 hit points, and any hit with any weapon only did 1 damage?

DW4 was definitely the greatest up to that point in time... the multi-arch story was great!
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Metal slimes only had a few HP. Not much more than your average green or red slime. They were just really hard to hit and didn't take much damage. The king metal slimes, though, had around 999.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Went with suikoden though the earthbound series is another good option.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

There are no pure RPG's that don't involve people you can physically touch, pencils, papers, dice, and conversations that begin with "This one character I played...."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:There are no pure RPG's that don't involve people you can physically touch, pencils, papers, dice, and conversations that begin with "This one character I played...."
Okay...Your Best/Fav Electron-Gun/Plastic-Case Induced Pure RPG Ever...with Buttons you Push???

Good 'nuff?
:biggrin: :yeehaa:
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Vraith wrote:There are no pure RPG's that don't involve people you can physically touch, pencils, papers, dice, and conversations that begin with "This one character I played...."
I was going to make a longer post, but

Why?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Holsety wrote:
I was going to make a longer post, but

Why?
Ummm...I can answer, but first I need to know if "Why?" means [as I suspect] why don't the others count, or if "why?" means [only in my dreams]
"Why would I bother to write a longer post, when Vraith was so succinct, clever, and absolutely correct that I ask myself "Why, why bother to write a longer post?" :lol:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:lol: Fair enough, but this is the video games forum, so really the question only covers video games. :P
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

CovenantJr wrote:
:lol: Fair enough, but this is the video games forum, so really the question only covers video games. :P
OHH, terrific! NOW people want to stay on topic. When did that start happening? ;)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Fallout 3.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Well, gotta go oldskool, yo!

Tunnels of Doom for the fun of the gameplay, even though it lacks a story.

Ultima IV otherwise.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Loremaster wrote:Fallout 3.
Would you consider Fallout 3 a "pure" RPG? or maybe an Adventure/RPG? Haven't played it but have watched a review on gamespot.com...

K. That didn't come through clearly, let me rephrase...

The game is third-person? So, is any element of it purely action oriented, or is it completely a RPG through and through, just with third-person, awesome life-like experience?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Fallout 3.
Would you consider Fallout 3 a "pure" RPG? or maybe an Adventure/RPG? Haven't played it but have watched a review on gamespot.com...

K. That didn't come through clearly, let me rephrase...

The game is third-person? So, is any element of it purely action oriented, or is it completely a RPG through and through, just with third-person, awesome life-like experience?
How do you define a pure rpg? The fallout series have always been considered roleplaying classics. If you take roleplaying to mean 'playing a role' then techically every game is an rpg (i.e. playing the role of a soldier in doom, or a space marine commander in Dawn of War 2). Of course, purists will argue that rpgs means statistics and leveling, etc. In this regard and 'playing a role', Fallout 3 is most definitely a pure rpg.

As for camera, that has nothing to do with a game being rpg or not. Someone used to pen and paper rpgs would argue any rpg with graphics is technically not roleplaying. Fallout is first or third person (default first person perspective), with very strong roleplaying elements. It is essentially a survival roleplaying game in a post-nuclear wasteland.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “PC & Console Games”