Encyclopedia Silva

Moderator: Xar

Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Encyclopedia Silva

Post by Zephyr »

TREE ELDERS

Tree Elders (the word for themselves in their own language is Schraa) are a peace-loving race of stout tree-like beings resembling old stumps, blessed with tremendous affinity for Forests and Jungles. They are also largely unknown to the world's inhabitants, and are usually thought to be the stuff of fairy-tale by those who have heard the term Tree Elder. However, they do exist. Their absence on the world scene is due to the simple fact that they are profoundly unlike nearly every other race. Mentally and emotionally, Tree Elders are vastly more akin to Trees than to any other living thing. Communication is never less than extremely difficult, and often impossible. How does one talk to a Tree? And what would a Tree say to, say, a human? After, "Please don't chop me down," there is little that interests both species enough to bother continuing the conversation. (Indeed, the speech of Tree Elders cannot be translated perfectly into any other language. Nor can the few languages that can get a glimpse of it get more than a glimpse. Therefore, any translation must be, as the saying goes, taken with a grain of salt. No attempt to explain or teach the language of the Schraa will be made in this opus.)

Tree Elders are territorial. Not for the usual reasons (mating, resources, etc.), but because of their ability to commune with their Forest. Being rather Tree-like, they are able to achieve levels of stillness far greater than most species. (The Nhruuk are a well-known exception.) During these times of meditation, they are able to join their minds to the Forest for a certain distance around them. This lets them feel what is going on around them. It also lets them control the Trees and plants to a degree. For example, they can encourage growth, whether for repairs or other reasons.

It is possible for more than one Elder to manipulate a single Tree, even at the same time. And, in fact, such does occur when necessary. However, it seldom is necessary, and, so, seldom occurs. Each adult Elder has a territory, the size of which depends on a combination of the area of Forest each Elder is capable of effectively communing with, and the number of Elders in the Forest. Each Elder is strongest in the heart of its territory, what they call their "root-spot." For up to several yards around its root-spot, a middle-aged Elder knows every Tree; every vine; every blade of grass by name. Their familiarity with individual Trees and plants diminishes the farther they are from their root-spot. However, the borders between territories are not firm, definite lines. There is some overlap, so the lesser-known Trees and plants are cared for by more than one Elder. Still, although an Elder may not know Trees and plants on the edge of his or her territory as well as those at the root-spot, this does not mean that Elder is less able to commune with it, or manipulate it. It is merely that the Elder can call on more Forest-power more quickly at the root-spot.

Just as some humans are better musicians than others, and some Houka are better fighters then others, some Tree Elders are more powerful than others. They can simply commune with a greater number of Trees and plants - a greater area of Forest - than others can, so their territories are bigger. The Elders in a given Forest come to a balance. If they are too few and/or not powerful enough to adequately care for the Forest, then they do the best they can. The fringe areas may not get enough attention, but all do what they can. If the Elders in a Forest are more than numerous and/or powerful enough to care for their Forest, then even the fringe areas get more than enough care.

Aside from the very rare individuals of other species who have a much greater affinity for Forests than is typical for their species, Tree Elders avoid contact with non-Elders. Their lives, their very being, are too different from others' to make socialization desirable. Indeed, even communication is all but impossible with a few species. However, Tree Elders are very social among themselves. They are, in fact, very "close-knit." There is not as pronounced a difference between family bonds and community bonds among Tree Elders as among most other sentient species. This is not because they have weaker family bonds, but because they have stronger community bonds. To a much stronger degree than most species, Elders feel about all members of their species the way other species feel about first cousins. They have a saying: It takes a Forest to raise a Tree. This attitude is likely the result of their communing. When individuals who are not biologically related commune - that is, become intimately connected - with the same area of a Forest, is it possible for them to not feel as closely related as sap-kin?

This attitude also means that Tree Elders can be in each others' territories without causing any problem. In fact, one may easily ask others for help in a fringe area that needs some attention. Elders who do not have a territory of their own (see Non-Rooted Tree Elders below) are very often lending a helping branch in this manner.

Tree Elders are welcome in each others' territories. Visits, gatherings, and wanderings are common reasons.

Non-Rooted Tree Elders
There are two major groups of Elders who are non-rooted. That is, do not have a root-spot; a territory. The larger group is children. A pair of mated Elders often visit each others' territories, even if they are not adjoining. And their children may live equally in both. As they get older, they may discover a specific location in one of those territories that attracts them more than any other, and that may become their root-spot when they become rooted. (It also happens often enough that a child finds their root-spot in a territory not of either parent. As mentioned above, Tree Elders are welcome in each others' territories, and non-rooted children are likely to wander quite a bit. Territories are not inherited from a parent simply because they are sap-kin, but because spending more time in a parent's territory means a better likelihood of finding a "comfortable" place. But that place can be found anywhere.)

The smaller group of non-rooted Elders are the adults who are simply known as the non-rooted. For various reasons, some are free. Wanderers. Perhaps they did have a territory, but there was a disaster. Perhaps they never found anything that might become a root-spot. Or other reasons. Whatever the reason, the non-rooted often wander far and wide, though almost never has one moved to another Forest. Others stay in one general area, becoming well known to the Elders of a few or several territories.

The non-rooted are the first called when any particular territory is threatened. Rooted Elders of adjoining and nearby territories remain in their own territories when they can, making sure whatever the threat is is not also threatening them.

Philosophy
Philosophically, as in most other ways, the Tree Elders are very homogenous. There are not vastly different schools of thought among them, as there are among, notably, humans. To be specific, they live very much in what other species often refer to as the now-moment. This seems to be due, once again, to their ability to commune with Forests. Communing with Nature is a state as profoundly meditative as any, and it infuses all aspects of their lives. It also makes their knowledge of Forests, which is generally considered to be complete, a spiritual thing. They instinctively commune. Which means they instinctively learn about the vast, intricate web of life, the earth, and the elements that makes up the Forest; their homes; their lives. Learning so much about the thing that defines them, and learning it so instinctively, so Naturally, ties the aspects of their lives together. Self, home, and knowledge of both are all one thing. Those able to communicate with Tree Elders quickly learn this. Tree Elders do not conceive of themselves as separate from the Forests, and do not imagine living outside the Trees. In truth, they could, so it is not a case of a fish out of water. But, even able to wander freely throughout the rest of the world, they would be much like a human in a stone cell only several paces square, with no light.

It is often thought that Tree Elders worship the Forest, or individual Trees. Such is not strictly the case, although it is difficult to explain. Who could live a life such as they live: an intricate part of a Forest; unable to conceive of existing outside it; intimately and completely aware of all aspects of it - and not consider it holy? Is this worship? Not in the usual sense. It is the now-moment. Every moment; every Tree; every other Tree Elder; every rainfall - is sacred.

Origin
The origin of the Tree Elders is shrouded in mystery. Their own earliest writings (Which, it should be noted, are not decipherable by those who do not have Forest affinity.) do not mention any origin. Schraa means Tree, and they have not attempted to discover the origin of themselves or the Trees.

For those who have tried to discover the origin of Tree Elders, there are two main schools of thought. The first is the Unbinding of Bhakti II. The Second Age ended when the Allfather began his Interdiction. Knowing he would not be able to protect Shakari from whatever was coming, and hoping to help it recover from the damage of the World Breaker, Bhakti II sacrificed himself, merging his essence with the Forest. Since the Tree Elders are peace-loving, as Bhakti most assuredly was, it seems plausible that his essence clung in some particular way with some particular species of Tree, and spurred the evolution of the Tree Elders.

The second is Nor Yekith. The peace-loving attitude of the Tree Elders would seem to rule out the possibility of Nor Yekith having contributed in even the smallest way to their development. However, it is widely believed that he created the race of Satyrs. The Satyrs came into being as a happy, cheerful, loving species. The long-range thinking of Nor Yekith is legendary, so the possibility that they have great evil implanted deep in their DNA, ready to spring up at the most unfortunate moment for Eiran’s safety, cannot be discounted. However, such is merely speculation. The only thing we know thus far is that Nor Yekith created the Satyrs, and the Satyrs are good. And if he created good in at least one instance, it is possible that he created good in another. Of course, the Satyrs, by themselves, are not reason to consider the possibility that Nor Yekith had any role in the creation of the Tree Elders. What is significant is the fact that he mutated the Forest of Nor Pupae to a considerable degree. Little is truly known of what he did, but it is known that he had sentient Tree-like beings; the Entka. The fact that they were hideously evil makes the theory that they are the ancestors of the Tree Elders difficult to credit. However, he may have given sentience to other Tree-beings. It is also possible that some of his mutagens found their way to Shakari, and combined with the Bhakti-infused Trees there.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

THE ASCENSION OF ZEPHYR BHAKTI

Deep in the heart of Vor-ta-vor, the 20-ish-looking man was sneaking up on the stump. True, he was doing a superb job of it; completely silent, perfect balance, full control... Still, it was a stump. And yet, when he was within a couple arms-lengths, the stump said, "Hello, Zephyr."

The young man put on a very staged look of disappointment, and said, "Oh, Father, I thought I had you that time!" Then, he started laughing.

Zephyr always called individual Tree Elders Father, and Azver had long since stopped trying to talk him out of it. Despite the origin of the Tree Elders, it was far from accurate. "It is not merely extremely difficult to sneak up on a Tree Elder in a Forest; it is outright impossible. Even for you. If I searched, I could feel your presence anywhere in Vor-ta-vor. After all this time, why do you not understand this?!"

"After all this time, why do you not understand how much fun it is to pull your... uh, root?" Zephyr countered, laughing again.

"And is that why you have chosen to visit me today?" asked the Elder.

With a look of resigned sadness, Zephyr very quietly answered, "No."

His tone made Azver take notice. "What is it?"

"Things are, uh, changing. Very soon."

"Vor-ta-vor has whispered of great changes, but I have not been able to learn anything specific. Do you know more?"

"Yes," Zephyr said, with a small smile. "The Interdiction is ending. The gods are returning."

The Elder thought for long seconds. "And this is not root-pulling?"

"No. I feel it, in my soul. After all, my parents..." he trailed off.

"Very well. Things will change. Possibly considerably. We will be as the Trees in a storm; bending under the force of the wind until we learn how to stand fast."

Zephyr smiled. "You are wise, as always, Father."

"So what troubles you, Eldest?"

"When the gods return, I'll be leaving you. Sort of."

"'Sort of.'" Azver echoed. "How so?"

"I'll be joining them. I'm going to Ascend."

If a Tree Elder could show surprise, Azver's would be visible a league away. "You are going to become a god?!? How do you intend to do this?!"

"With the help of this," Zephyr said, reaching into his pouch. He pulled out a rather large chunk of a gem. It was obviously a fragment of what must have been a very large gem. It was also the most unusual color - red and blue, with a clear division of the colors. As though two pieces of the different colors, each with a flat surface, had been stuck together at the flat surfaces. But the joining was flawless beyond words, so it truly looked like a single stone.

"What is that!" gasped the Elder. "Though I could not before, I now feel its power quite clearly!"

"I was masking its power because I wanted to get this far without it. It's a piece of the Herzwald."

If a stump could topple over in surprise... "The Herzwald?!? The mythological gem..." he began.

"Tree Elders are mythological creatures," Zephyr interrupted, with a grin.

"Fair enough. But... The Herzwald?!?"

"Yes. You know it's true. You can feel its power. How could you not, Father?"

Azver sighed again, but admitted, "I cannot deny its power."

"I may be the son of gods, but I didn't feel the end of the Interdiction approaching until I found this fragment. And I learned something else."

"How to Ascend."

"How to Ascend." Zephyr took a couple slow breaths. "I can absorb this fragment. It will turn to dust, and blow away. But the might that its creator put into it, the unimaginable power my father channeled through it during an extraordinary battle, and the power his Prohpet channeled through it when it was shattered... Well, even this fragment retains enough power. It will merge with my soul, and raise me to godhood."

"I understand." Azver paused. "And what will you do, once you have become a god?"

"Ah, my young friend, what will we do!" Zephyr smiled broadly.

"We?"

"Father, I need you. There's no way a god can do everything that needs to be done. There are many things that are absolutely necessary, but do not require divine power to accomplish. And I'll need someone to tell my followers my will. I need a Prophet, Azver (You didn't think I knew your name, did you! :D), and there's nobody I know or trust as much as you." He stopped talking, looking patiently at the Tree Elder.

Eventually, Azver's branches shook in what Zephyr knew to be an agreement.

"I knew I could count on you! Here's what we'll do..." And Zephyr talked long about his vision for the Forests.

After Zephyr was done speaking, Azver was silent for a time, pondering all that he had been told. Finally, he spoke. "Zephyr?"

"Hmm?"

"When you are god to the Tree Elders, and I your Prophet, do you think you will continue to call me Father?"
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

WIRI

Surely, no more extraordinary being ever existed on Eiran! Wiri. Originally, a mortal, human man. Seemingly very much like any other man. Of course, the God of Love saw that this was not quite true. He thought he was the first to respond to my arrival in the Second Age because of simple proximity. He did not know that he saw my sign before I created it! His Heart was pure Love. It allowed him to know my presence, even my location, before I announced it. It allowed him to read the Hearts of those attempting to enter Shakari, and tell the Gotcha Vines if they were followers or intruders. It also allowed him to Love the world and its inhabitants as no other could. I could teach others to Love even that which terrified them. But Wiri never needed such lessons. He had no fear. There was no room in him for it, because the Love filled him entirely. And so, he raised a six-armed, very powerful little girl whose parents were afraid of her as his own. And no Father and Daughter ever Loved each other more.

And then... Wiri died. Such a useless, mundane death for one such as he! Yes, as may be expected, he died attempting to save another. A child fallen into a crevice. Of course I was proud of him, giving his life in such a cause. But I was also saddened beyond words. If not for Nor Yekith's letter, I may have been lost to despair.

However, up until now, Wiri had not been anything but better than nearly all others. He was about to become extraordinary! He had earned something beyond the ordinary death that everyone else can expect. So I asked him. Become another Rakastaa? Become a guardian spirit for his daughter? He chose to be merged with Shakari itself!

An Aware Forest! Even I never dreamed it would work so well! The Vines were now under the control of a thinking mind! Wiri could see anywhere in the Forest, to any degree of detail! And when his avatar greeted Eileen - now returned after having been taken to safety, soon after Wiri's death, when the World Breaker's minions appeared - the child's love for Wiri was like a warm blanket that covered most of Shakari and filled the hearts of my people within the Forest with affection and determination.

And now, only a few months later, my Wife has granted Wiri a gift of Transportation! He can teleport anything from any one place within himself - within Shakari - to another! His power and ability are phenomenal! Shakari - Wiri - is unique and priceless beyond measure! Paradise in the truest sense of the word. I can only wonder what else will come of all this. How much more will Wiri grow? -- Bhaktidaneth

(Editor's note: My father wrote this only a short time before the World Breaker's blow broke Shakari, and shattered Wiri into oblivion. This was the height of his dream for Eiran, and he was never happier. I will not bother including his writings on the subject after Wiri's death. They are much too painful to read, much less copy. And they do not really give any information on Forests. Only pain. -- Z)
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

THE WORD OF ZEPHYR

"Worship." Such a flexible word. Sometimes a deity demands how s/he will be worshiped. Sometimes it is the worshipers who create the words; the rituals.

As for the me, it is very simple... Your devotion to the Forests is devotion to me. If you are Loving the Forests, you are Loving me. If you are caring for the Forests, you are caring for me. If you are honoring the Forests, you are honoring me. I demand nothing else. I require nothing else. I want nothing else. The only "prayer" to me that is of value is a prayer asking my help with the Forests. And those prayers I will always answer to the best of my ability. Every leaf and twig is far more worthy of reverence than I am. Every Forest is a cathedral more holy than anything that could possibly be constructed in my name. Live in the Forests. Live with the Forests. Live as a part of the Forests. You could not "worship" me more thoroughly or devoutly than this.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

LOVE POLLEN

Bhakti approached me with an idea. (He's kinda cute...) Nephy is getting a little dangerous, and Bhakti had an idea for slowing him down. Love Pollen. Seemed simple enough. I gather some pollen, he infuses it with love. I didn't know what to expect, though. Would it make any significant difference? I was skeptical, but thought it was worth trying.

It worked fairly well. A little better than I expected. The pollen went on the air currents, and spread throughout Nephy's cities. His malice was at least partially countered, and his growth slowed. I hope enough to stop him from becoming an actual threat.

Nice idea, Bhakti. :D I wonder what else we might work on together... (cute, cute) -- Elauradaneth
Last edited by Zephyr on Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zephyr »

WIRI - THIRD AGE

I restored Wiri early after I Ascended. It took longer than I had hoped. But, then, despite a few millennia of attempting to develop it, patience has never been my strongest characteristic. Still, within a couple years, Wiri was back.

When his avatar appeared before me... Well, it is difficult to describe my emotions. I saw Wiri - as a human and as a Forest - when I was a baby. No more than a few years old. In truth, I didn't remember him.

But I knew of him. I knew much of him through my father's writings. Here was the man my father loved. The man who spread his word. The man who showed all the truest meaning of absolute love. My father often wrote of their talks, and how they restored my father. How the mortal taught the god. Before the human died, Wiri was, simply put, a wonder.

After he died... Well, as my father wrote, surely, no more extraordinary being ever existed on Eiran! Absolutely unique. One whose body is a Forest! What is such a thing like? My father never knew, nor do I. Yes, we have both merged with the Forest in our day. But it is a temporary thing. Wiri was the Forest. He no longer had hands and legs; his limbs were limbs. His body was millions of Trees, as well as vines, grass, bushes, and countless other plants.

For the years before the World Breaker came, this was every moment of Wiri's life. Which means his thought processes were changing. How could they not? He came to think as a Tree. As a Forest. As something that only the Schraa can come close to understanding. Yes, he could still interact with the people and other creatures of the world, because he had been one of them. He could confine himself to those terms when he chose. But it was becoming less and less what he was.

So there he was, millennia later, standing before me. I was in awe. I would have stood there, jaw on the Forest floor, speachless, if he had not started the conversation. <grin>

Sadly, Eiran's various pantheons have ever been prone to fighting, and the World Breaker will always be a shadow, threatening to return. So, as my father and mother did, I have given him great power. And I have had others enhance him, also. Already, he has quite handily fought off attacks by various deities. And even the World Breaker will not be able to shatter him, in body or mind, should he return.

A listing of Wiri's powers is an impressive thing. Let me see...

Return to “Pantheon”