The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Potentially depressing news...

Post by Orlion »

www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16328

Essentially, it seems like they may remake "Alien"... :cry:

Here's hoping this is just rumor( or at least misinterpreted)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I can't view the site (our internet connection here at work has problems with a lot of websites), but I heard they were interested in doing more stories about Ripley without involving the Aliens.

Of course, with Sigourney Weaver aging rapidly, I don't know how likely that will be.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Yeah, that was the discussion years ago, I believe around the time that the first AvP movie came out. Quite frankly, though, I can't imagine a movie that has Ripley in it that doesn't involve xenomorphs...

Also, around this same time, James Cameron was allegedly cooking up a plot for a fifth Alien movie, then stopped when he heard they were making AvP, saying that "It would kill the francishe's credibility" or something along those lines. Legend also has it that Cameron, upon seeing the first AvP enjoyed it.

They can make other movies in the series, that's not the problem. But if it's a prequel, then I think that will be slightly problematic, however if it is a remake... :soapbox:
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'm generally open to remakes, but redoing Alien would be pretty pointless. But that article does seem to say it would be a prequel, not a straight remake.

I caught Aliens vs Predator on late night TV last year. I was anticipating a dismal movie, but it had its moments. Not many, but a few. I guess my very low expectations for it worked in its favor. Still, it wasn't a movie that made me want to run out and buy. Also, the ending was...stupid. I'm usually quite forgiving of plot holes and inconsistencies, but the plot twist at the end of AvP bugged me to no end.

Now that the whole Aliens vs Predator thing has been established, I have to wonder if they will somehow have the Predator make a cameo in whatever new Alien film gets made. How could any studio resist?
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

The rumor is that Ridley Scott is on board with this prequel. Though I think Hollywood needs to stop regurgitating remakes and get back to innovating.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
vasko
Woodhelvennin

Post by vasko »

Good find. Very interesting.
"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken." - Thomas Covenant
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to boycott this. As I see it, if a prequel for Alien does really well, there's no reason for Fox to just up and remake the first one as a sequel to the prequel. F^%$ that.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I agree. Fox would soooo do just that.

But at least Scott is onboard, so we have a shot at a good film. (sigh)
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote: But at least Scott is onboard, so we have a shot at a good film. (sigh)
It's a small hope I cling to.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “Flicks”