What is your favorite NON-SRD quote?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

What is your favorite NON-SRD quote?

Post by lorin »

This is my favorite quote.

"For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - Real Life.
But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through fiirst,
some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.

At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.
This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way.

So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination!"

Souza

Not always sure I live by these words but I try always to keep them in mind.

Whats your fav?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Had I not known, that I was already dead, I would have mourned my loss of life.

-Ota Dokan, 1486
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Fom my all time non SRD character :

Tyrion Lannister: "I'd be a much more religious man if i could pray with my cock."

"Don’t kill him here!" – Masha Heddle, about Tyrion
"Don’t kill him anywhere" – Tyrion Lannister, about himself

"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty."
-Tyrion Lannister, asked how he would like to die

and one more from A Song of Ice and Fire :

"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look him into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Moe Syzlak wrote:Maya Angelou is black?
Proust wrote:From that instant I had not to take another step; the ground moved forward under my feet in that garden where, for so long, my actions had ceased to require any control, or even attention, from my will. Custom came to take me in her arms, carried me all the way up to my bed, and laid me down there like a little child.
John Updike wrote:Truth should not be forced; it should simply manifest itself, like a woman who has in her privacy reflected and coolly decided to bestow herself upon a certain man.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Every morning I would sit down before a blank sheet of paper. Throughout the day, with a brief interval for lunch, I would stare at the blank sheet. Often when evening came it was still blank.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Lord Mhoram wrote:
Bertrand Russell wrote:Every morning I would sit down before a blank sheet of paper. Throughout the day, with a brief interval for lunch, I would stare at the blank sheet. Often when evening came it was still blank.

oh yeah.................
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
hearthrall antonicus
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hearthrall antonicus »

"And everyone was content
except those who had to mow the grass"

J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings-Return of the King
You can judge the true character of a person on how they treat those who can do nothing for them
-Sensei Moe,Sensei Larry,Sensei Curly...
Shemp was NOT a wannabe, Joe Besser was the Poser

Chairman of M E M L A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"Bitches, leave!" - Clarence Boddicker
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Cail wrote:"Bitches, leave!" - Clarence Boddicker
:goodpost:

My friends and I watch that segment over and over again.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

"I'M NOT LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH YOU - YOU'RE LOCKED UP IN HERE WITH ME!" -Rorschach, in Alan Moore's Watchmen.

-----

"The thought of suicide is a great consolation. It has got one through many a bad night." -Nitzsche

-----

"Saint, noun: A dead sinner revised and edited." -Ambrose Bierce, Devil's Dictionary
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

"Mister, you just shot an unarmed man!"
"Well, he should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his store with my friend."

"Killin a man's a hell of a thing. You take away everything he's got, and everything hes ever gonna have."

"I don't deserve to die like this!"
"Deservin's got nothing to do with it."

- Unforgiven
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be? ---John Keating-Dead Poets Society

One of my favorite movies :)
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

"If you save wisdom until the world is wise, the world will never have it."

"To minimize suffering and to maximize security were natural and proper ends of society and Caesar. But then they became the only ends, somehow, and the only basis of law -- a perversion. Inevitably, then, in seeking only them, we found only their opposites: maximum suffering and minimum security."

~Walter M. Miller, Jr.
A Canticle for Leibowitz
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

iQuestor wrote:"Mister, you just shot an unarmed man!"
"Well, he should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his store with my friend."

"Killin a man's a hell of a thing. You take away everything he's got, and everything hes ever gonna have."

"I don't deserve to die like this!"
"Deservin's got nothing to do with it."

- Unforgiven
Good ones. I'll add: "We all got it comin', kid."
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

"Cain't you let me go to hell the way i want to, Charlie?"
~ Wild Bill to Charlie Utter, Deadwood
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Self explanitory:

The Breakfast Club: Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong, but we think you're crazy for making us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out, is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

"Benson...dear Benson...you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence."

-Time Bandits
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

"For the World Is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky" -- name of an episode from the original Star Trek show

There was something from Foundation that struck me, that I had up on the fridge for a long time. "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent," or something like that.

Oh wait, I know! "No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money." Samuel Johnson

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

When I pointed to him his palms slipped slightly, ;eaving greasy sweat streaks on the wall, and he hooked his thumbs in his belt. A strange swmall spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate, but as I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbour's image blurred with my sudden tears.
"Hey, Boo," I said.
This is the only passage in any book that has ever brought me to tears.

-And it was last year, during my ump-teenth read through.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"I've been here now for some days, groping my way along, trying to realize my vision here. I started concentrating so hard on my vision that I lost sight. I've come to find out that it's not the vision, it's not the vision at all. It's the groping. It's the groping, it's the yearning, it's the moving forward. I was so fixated on that flying cow that when Ed told me Monty Python already painted that picture, I thought I was through. I had to let go of that cow so I could see all the other possibilities. Anyway, I want to thank Maurice for helping me to let go of that cow. Thank you Maurice for playing Apollo to my Dionysus in art's Cartesian dialectic. And thanks to you, Ed, cause the truth shall set us free! And Maggie, thank you for sharing in the destruction of your house so that today we could have something to fling. I think Kierkegaard said it oh so well, 'The self is only that which is in the process of becoming.' Art? Same thing. James Joyce had something to say about it too. 'Welcome, Oh Life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience, and to forge in the smythe of my soul the uncreated conscious of my race.' We're here today to fling something that bubbled up from the collective unconsciousness of our community. Ed, you about ready?

The thing I learned folks, this is absolutely key: It's not the thing you fling; it's the fling itself. Let's fling something, Cicely!"
It's not the thing you fling; it's the fling itself!
Stood in firelight, sweltering. Blood stain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever, and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion, bear children, hellbound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach.
-Oh, ho, listen, Man, and we'll tell you everything! Do you hear the waves whispering the secret? We know you know, Man. The secret of life is just sheer joy, and joy is everywhere. Joy is what we were made for. It is in the rush of the nighttime surf and in the beach rocks and in the salt and the air and in the water we breathe and deep, deep within the blood. And the sifting ocean sands and the wriggling silverfish and the hooded greens of the shallows and the purple deeps and in the oyster's crusty shell and the pink reefs and even in the muck of the ocean's floor, joy, joy, joy!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Brilliant quotes as always, Eric :) and Brooke, good one! :)

Here's one that I love, from my favorite movie Philadelphia:

This is my favorite aria. This is Maria Callas. This is "Andrea Chenier", Umberto Giordano. This is Madeleine. She's saying how during the French Revolution, a mob set fire to her house, and her mother died... saving her. "Look, the place that cradled me is burning." Can you hear the heartache in her voice? Can you feel it, Joe? In come the strings, and it changes everything. The music fills with a hope, and that'll change again. Listen... listen..."I bring sorrow to those who love me." Oh, that single cello! "It was during this sorrow that love came to me." A voice filled with harmony. It says, "Live still, I am life. Heaven is in your eyes. Is everything around you just the blood and mud? I am divine. I am oblivion. I am the god... that comes down from the heavens, and makes of the Earth a heaven. I am love!... I am love."

This scene is what earned Tom Hanks his Oscar :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image

Return to “General Discussion Forum”