Restarted the First Chronicles

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Restarted the First Chronicles

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

I have to say that I preferred the Second Chronicles much more than the First, but I dug out my Sci FI book club editions and started reading this weekend.

My diagnosis of diabetes definitely affected me as I read the first few chapters ... my dedication to controlling it is kinda Covenant-like. :twisted:

Though I still can't really imagine Covenant as being some kind of social person, someone with a place in his community. He's so defined by his leprosy that I can't imagine what he would have been like before it.
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

The Wounded Land is my favorite individual book, but I prefer the First Chronicles overall.

I think I read in the GI that one or more of the few publishers who showed any interest in the First Chronicles wanted SRD to change TC's malady from leprosy to diabetes or asthma or somesuch.

He refused and went on to have the books flat-out rejected by everyone.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Change TC's malady from leprosy to diabetes or asthma or somesuch? This suggestion from one of the publishers who rejected the original Chronicles manuscripts shows no understanding whatsoever of the story.

In such a scenario, how would the people of the Land recognize TC as "Berek reborn?" Two missing fingers is a powerful and obvious sign. Diabetes has few if any outward manifestations. As for asthma, the idea of trading "Halfhand" for "Wheezer" borders on comedic.

Then there are the implications of Land-borne healthsense. Surely the effect of healthsense on a diabetic or asthmatic Covenant would not be as profound as it was when dead nerves were restored to sensation. How would the crisis of Lena (or some equivalent) be motivated?

The lack of any clue by this putative publisher is astounding!
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Not to mention that people's perception/rejection of him as "LEPER", and the absence of that in the Land, were a huge part of TC's character development.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Savor Dam wrote:In such a scenario, how would the people of the Land recognize TC as "Berek reborn?" Two missing fingers is a powerful and obvious sign. Diabetes has few if any outward manifestations.

Then there are the implications of Land-borne healthsense. Surely the effect of healthsense on a diabetic or asthmatic Covenant would not be as profound as it was when dead nerves were restored to sensation. How would the crisis of Lena (or some equivalent) be motivated?

The lack of any clue by this putative publisher is astounding!
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure untreated late stage diabetes does result in nerve damage and amputations in the extremities. Blindness too.

But diabetes (to my knowledge, and I apologize to those afflicted if I'm wrong) doesn't carry the social stigma and revulsion that leprosy does. Covenant wouldn't have been a pariah before he entered the Land had he suffered from diabetes or asthma.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Demondim-spawn wrote: I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure untreated late stage diabetes does result in nerve damage and amputations in the extremities. Blindness too.
Absolutely true. As a (well-controlled) diabetic, I ought to have thought that through enough to have not have made that error. In my defense, that level of damage truly is a late-stage result from lack of diagnosis or complete neglect of control/treatment.

At least we can all agree that an asthmatic TC would be ludicrous.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Hell <wheeze> fire and <cough!> bloody <wheeze> damna <cough> tion!

Hmm... it just doesn't have the same ring to it :(
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Savor Dam wrote:At least we can all agree that an asthmatic TC would be ludicrous.
See: Thomas Covenant has Asthma :)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Interesting...if only for the fact that Dukkha Waynhim's signature now makes sense to me.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I agree with spawn-brother, Wounded Land had the most emotional impact for me because of the greatness of the first tril and the love of the Land that SRD placed in me...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Re: Restarted the First Chronicles

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Kaos Arcanna wrote: My diagnosis of diabetes definitely affected me as I read the first few chapters ... my dedication to controlling it is kinda Covenant-like. :twisted:
Same here. I came down with Type1 when I was 16, started reading the Chronicles later that year.
I think due to my condition, TC's adherence to self preservation made a lot of sense to me.
Plus hurtloam and health in general really struck a chord with me.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

Without the first Chrons, the second would not make sense. ......Wait .....the first Chrons sets up everything......without it...the books are less
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Man... I just started the First Chronicles again.. Not a read through but Audio books... I read them myself along time ago but I had a version from a library with a man reading it... not Scott Brick,

well.. .it started out ok ..until he got to the land, let me just start by saying SRD wrote that Foamfollower had a high and fluty voice... and boy did this guy run with it.... its not how i hear Foamfollower AT ALL.... Picture Foamfollower.... with Truman Capotes Voice... serious... man.. it made me want to fast forward throught the speaking parts of Foamfollower.. I sure hope Scott Bricks version isnt like that... anyhow that is but one problem,... the guy keeps calling Mhoram Moy Ram... Rhadhamearl he is calling "Rad Hammer all" and first mark Tuvor he is calling TAY VOR. I guess its just the way i hear it... but Moy Ram and Truman Capote Foamfollower... argh..im going back to my version until i can afford Scott Bricks.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I've just started rereading the Chronicles. I forgot just how...well...wow - !
Loresraat
Stonedownor

Post by Loresraat »

I just finished rereading the First and Second Chronicles, some ten years after the first time I ever read them. I definitely agree that both the physical damage AND the social stigma that were associated with his condition (ie, Leprosy) were critical. I just don't think the Land would have had as unsettling an impact on him and his Unbeleif would have been less meaningful. I would venture that most everyone with a disability or chronic illness understands his need to disbelieve--after all, if one spends all one's days in denial or pining away for an improbable cure, one forgets to *live one's life*. That's dangerous. But few conditions have the sheer potential for psychological scarring that Leprosy does.

My favorite book of them all has to be The Power That Preserves, probably followed by Lord Foul's Bane. That isn't to say that the Second Chronicles wasn't great, of course (yayz, Nom!). I think for me the characters from the Land in the first Chronicles simply stood out for me more.
Spirit of the Knight
Servant of the Land

Post by Spirit of the Knight »

My favorite book would have to be The Illearth War. But, of course, I loved them all.

I tend to start reading the whole series again once finished the last book. For me that's FR.

I just never get sick of them. :lol:
hpty603
Woodhelvennin

Post by hpty603 »

I just finished re-reading the first and second chronicles and can't, for the life of me, pick a favorite book out of the six. They are all important in their own right. LFB and TWL both set up the next two books, though LFB might be more important that it sets up the next nine...IEW has the most action and is when the Law of Death is broken, TPtP is Covenant's fight against LF and all of that awesome stuff. TOT is great in that we get to see all of the interesting stuff outside of The Land. WGW is the confrontation between Linden and the Sunbane and TC and Lord Foul. TC also solves the paradox of the white gold

If I had to choose, I'd say IEW...wait, no...TPtPt...I guess

Linden should have quailed. His certainty was as bitter as the touch of a Raver: it should have defeated her. But it did not. How often had she heard Lord Foul or his servants prophesy destruction, attempting to impose despair? And how often had Thomas Covenant shown her that it was possible to stand upright under the weight of utter hopelessness?
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Hmm, got me thinking, all that extreme weather....intense, burning sun, cold soaking rain, high winds, desert arid-ness, freezing temperatures, etc., and no one gets a cold or the flu. I remember TC asking someone "don't you have diseases here?" but have no idea who it was or what they said. Earthpower was, I suppose, what kept them well, but what about the Sunbane?
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Wheelwash Whitecap Mate
Servant of the Land

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap Mate »

While everyone on here has read the books once completely thru, I have just finished my first time. I must say that the first time I read Lord Foul's Bane Iwas totally turned off. However, as I continue to read, I have found that I am reading much more and quicker. I find that each book as of the ones I have read thus far becomes more intriguing and I find that I take the book that I am currently reading with me everywhere. I am so addicted to these books now that I even take the one I am on now to work with me. I am a sub and try to steal away precious moments that I can read a page or two on my breaks and even take my lunch back to the classroom to eat while I read.

I am completely in love with this series now. You all were right. The action does pick up and the longer I read the more fun it is.

Wheelwash Mate
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Excellent WWM!! <insert evil laugh here> - have you just finished the 1st or 2nd Chronicles?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”