Arcana Unearthed - The Diamond Throne

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Mistweave
Woodhelvennin

Arcana Unearthed - The Diamond Throne

Post by Mistweave »

Any DnD players out there? (sorry - that's Dungeons and Dragons to the uninitiated.)

Monte Cook's new campaign world, the Diamond Throne, is interesting as he has included Giants as a player race
First came the giants. I wanted to create a race that was size Large, for the interesting game applications that would have. I didn't want them to be hulking brutes like ogres or trolls, though. It will surprise few who have read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant that the Arcana Unearthed giants owe as much to Steven R. Donaldson as D&D dwarves and elves owe to Tolkien. Still, I wanted to give them a unique spin, and I did that by having their culture emphasize ceremonies and rituals. This is really a big deal in the "implied setting" of Arcana Unearthed.
And I once heard of someone running a campaign based on the voyage to the One Tree.

Has anyone else used The Land or its characters in DnD? How did it go?
Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

Wow, that's very cool, thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to have to find that book and get it, both for the SRD homage and to see how they did giants.

I've been a D&D'er for... let's see... this is going to date me for sure, but... 25 years. Started in 8th grade playing the boxed set. And I mention this so you'll understand how utterly stupid I feel when I say... I never thought of running a game set in the Land. :roll:

Well, now you've got me thinking at least. Thanks again. ;) -Mouse
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil." -Mouseglove
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

wouldn't it be really hard to make covenant? with all that wild magic n stuff...
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Mistweave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mistweave »

Mouseglove, I've been playing 19 years and still play almost every week.

Forestal, you can play in the land without playing Covenant. Or any of the major characters for that matter.

Indeed, it would be interesting after the new chrons come out to play in different time periods throughout the Lands History.

And playing in a Sunbane ravaged Land. Hmm. I'm tempted to run a game.
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Back in the 80s my oldest brother ran a campaign based off TC, but alas, I was not included since he played it away at college. I can ask him and see how he did it. I would like to try playing one based off TC.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

i never played DnD, but i played warhammer quest, which is apparently similar, and i woudln't mind giving it a go myself, could be fun...

and mistweave... i didn't say that u couldn't use the land without covenant ;) just that it would be hard to put covenant into it if you wanted to.

:) :P
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Mistweave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mistweave »

Forestal wrote:and mistweave... i didn't say that u couldn't use the land without covenant ;) just that it would be hard to put covenant into it if you wanted to.
:) :P
Are the problems with lack of intonation when using text. :wink: (hmm. is the blood guard speech so bland because they didn't have emoticons!) :lol:

I did understand what you meant. My comment was simply to say you can avoid the difficultly by not playing him. :roll: Easier to avoid the problem rather than solve it!

It's always a problem trying to quantify fictional magic (wild or otherwise) into a roleplay system. :crazy:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”