Classic Cinema

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Classic Cinema

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I finally watched Casablanca last night. It was amazing. The opening credits were great, the first fifteen minutes of the film didn't focus on a main character and I was still immersed, the lines-oh, the lines in this movie, and the wit-it was absolutely hilarious dialogue through and through, the plot twists, their love...I felt it, the political issues, the acting. This is a truly, truly great film that deserves all the accolades.

I've also seen such classics (pre '67) as Lawrence of Arabia, 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago, The Great Escape, Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Ten Commandments, Spartacus, and The Day the Earth Stood Still. And of course, every Disney film. These are all very good films, some truly great.

I will probably watch Gone with the Wind and Paths of Glory next. Any thoughts, suggestions, food for discussion?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but....

Casablanca is an overrated B-movie.

Watch Out of the Past and Touch of Evil. Both are far superior films.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cail wrote:I know this is an unpopular opinion, but....

I agree completely. Cheesy, unrealistic, boring.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I like Bogart, but let's face it, he's no Calculon.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Unrealistic?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dANdeLION wrote:I like Bogart, but let's face it, he's no Calculon.
Well who is?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:Unrealistic?

* Main Entry: un·re·al·is·tic
* Pronunciation: \ˌən-ˌrē-ə-ˈlis-tik\
* Function: adjective
* Date: 1865

: not realistic : inappropriate to reality or fact

— un·re·al·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Urm...which parts, concepts? The film isn't a critique of any kind, so why does it half to be perfectly realistic?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

To quote Bob Walkenhorst,
Some things are classic
Some things are just old
I've always found it a bit of a minefield going through the "classics." But there are a ton of treasures in there. I definitely got why so many thought Bogart was the man when I went through his back catalog. Particularly The African Queen. If you've not seen Harvey and Arsenic and Old Lace, I'd highly recommend those.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cagliostro wrote:Arsenic and Old Lace
Aaaah, good film. A frequent watch when I was a kid.
Tamalone
Stonedownor

Post by Tamalone »

King's Row (1942). Who said Ronald Reagan couldn't act?
"You won't find ordinary people here" (Don DeLillo - Running Dog)
"You stared at me till your eyeballs smoked. Was it anger, or love, or the caffeine in your Coke?" -Was (not Was)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i'm not sure i agree with "far superior" but i have to say that the two films you mention are indeed astonishingly brilliant movies!
my god, welles in touch of evil. extraordinary acting besides having directed the film! and i've always been a mitchum fan.
both these films were included in the syllabus of the film noir class i took a couple of semesters ago.
i'd never seen either of them and was blown away by both.

i loved casablanca but To Have and Have Not is my favorite bogart.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Just watched Paths of Glory last night. Loved the villain, many of the shots were standard Kurbric brilliance, the beginning talk between the two generals was pretty good, the charge was probably just awesome for it's time, the firing squad scene was really good and the ending song was poignant.

But the film still had the Kubric pacing issues, there wasn't any character development - all the characters were set after threes scenes, the acting was good most of the times but bad in a couple scenes, the concept of the film was probably very riske at the time but nothing now and very good guy/bad guy. The coward, while having to do the duty at the end...it never felt like that really tied up his own path, there were some logic issues in the script during the court scene. Douglas was his normal self, but I never really got caught up in the outrage that his character felt, something was off...I think Kubric and Douglas definitely had different visions for this film.

I thought it was good, but not great. It was probably a landmine of a film sixty years ago.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I've seen Paths of Glory once, but haven't felt the need for repeat viewing. I respect the film's strong criticism of war (or at least of the petty military ambitions behind war), but the early Kubrick films weren't the ones that put me in what I'll call obssessed awe of him as a filmmaker.
lucimay wrote:

i'm not sure i agree with "far superior" but i have to say that the two films you mention are indeed astonishingly brilliant movies!
my god, welles in touch of evil. extraordinary acting besides having directed the film! and i've always been a mitchum fan.
both these films were included in the syllabus of the film noir class i took a couple of semesters ago.
i'd never seen either of them and was blown away by both.

i loved casablanca but To Have and Have Not is my favorite bogart.
I've never seen all of Casablanca, only the famous bits. The Maltese Falcon is still the only Bogie film I've seen its entirety, which I enjoyed.

Never saw Touch of Evil or Out of the Past, but The Third Man was the one Orson Welles movie I've seen (in its entirety) and I thought it was superb. (I know he didn't direct it.)

Hitchcock's Psycho is another "classic" cinema favorite. It was only a few years ago that I watched the whole movie. I was blown away by how tightly crafted it was - there wasn't a single lazy moment to be found.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:Just watched Paths of Glory last night. Loved the villain, many of the shots were standard Kurbric brilliance, the beginning talk between the two generals was pretty good, the charge was probably just awesome for it's time, the firing squad scene was really good and the ending song was poignant.

But the film still had the Kubric pacing issues, there wasn't any character development - all the characters were set after threes scenes, the acting was good most of the times but bad in a couple scenes, the concept of the film was probably very riske at the time but nothing now and very good guy/bad guy. The coward, while having to do the duty at the end...it never felt like that really tied up his own path, there were some logic issues in the script during the court scene. Douglas was his normal self, but I never really got caught up in the outrage that his character felt, something was off...I think Kubric and Douglas definitely had different visions for this film.

I thought it was good, but not great. It was probably a landmine of a film sixty years ago.
Paths of Glory is simply wonderful. I'm not a Kubrick fanboy - he's overrated - but Paths I gave five stars. Mind you, it's probably because I'm a World War I fanatic.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I'm not either. Though, there's just something about his artistic vision that is just...moving and aweinspiring.

My favs of his are Dr. Strangelove, my all-time fav comedy/satire...and Shinning, which isn't perfect, but still very good.

I think PoG really suffers from a plot that is far too simplistic for the running time. If there's enough pathos to be derived, a la 2001, by all means, take the time, but I just wish there were a little more to PoG.

While Eyes Wide Shut is not even in my top 100 favorites, I believe it's Kubrick's crowning achievement from a "tight" script/pace point of view... and I thought Cruise/Kidman 'nailed' it. But I've never really understood what the film was really about.
Last edited by jacob Raver, sinTempter on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:I think PoG really suffers from a plot that is far too simplistic for the running time. If there's enough pathos to be derived, a la 2001, by all means, take the time, but I just wish there were a little more to PoG.
Hmmm, if the plot is simplistic, the message and themes of the movie aren't. I'd argue that it's subtle.

Agreed about Dr. Strangelove. Incredible satire.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

I only first watched it about 8 months ago. I could not believe how funny it was...well shot...brilliant in design...and then when I'm already near crying, Dr. Strangelove appears, and even though we expect him, he's still funnier than almost anything I've ever seen. Unbelievable. I really, honestly don't think there will ever be a comedy that combines great directing with great comedy genius on that level ever again.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:I only first watched it about 8 months ago. I could not believe how funny it was...well shot...brilliant in design...and then when I'm already near crying, Dr. Strangelove appears, and even though we expect him, he's still funnier than almost anything I've ever seen. Unbelievable. I really, honestly don't think there will ever be a comedy that combines great directing with great comedy genius on that level ever again.
Well said!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Forbidden Planet has always been a favorite of mine. I remember when I first saw it, my dad forced me to watch it, and I was pissed off to begin with... but in total awe by the end.

I saw Psycho for the first time at the beginning of this year... brilliant movie! It's certainly one that should never, ever be remade for the sole reason that it is all ready a perfect movie.

Fistful of Dollars is also a favorite of mine. Sure, it's apparently a rip-off of some Japanese film, but it has one thing that film did not: Clint Eastwood :biggrin:

And who could forget Night of the Living Dead? It really is an excellent movie, it's just a shame that it seems that the modern zombie film fans haven't seen it...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Flicks”