Loric's Krill

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Forestal
Bloodguard

Loric's Krill

Post by Forestal »

i dont know if these particular questions have been asked before, but here we go...

How did Loric make the Krill when the land shows no sign of being able to work metal? or being able to make metal for that matter.

Why was the Krill hot in the 2nd crons?

Why did the Krill's gem fade and go out after CC was killed with it?
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I bumped the thread of the same name to abet your quandries...
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Why was the Krill hot in the 2nd crons?
The krill was hot in the 1st chronicles also.
Why did the Krill's gem fade and go out after CC was killed with it?
Hmmmm....perhaps the power consumed in breaking the Law of Life was more than the krill could channel, and it "burned out."
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

ty danlo
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

KaosArcana

Post by KaosArcana »

Forestal:
How did Loric make the Krill when the land shows no sign of being able to work metal? or being able to make metal for that matter.
There was metal in the Land.

The Lords' staffs had metal bands on the ends. The Warmark wore an armored breastplate. The Warward used swords and other metal weapons. The ur-viles had their wands (croziers?) whatever they were.

What we didn't see was the common people of the Land-- the
Stonedowners or Woodhelvinin using metal.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

The again, even if they used metals the lords would have to have used some sort of power to avoid breaking the stone to get at the ore.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

of course... i never thought of the warward having metal weapons or armour... but of course they must have... silly me...

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Forestal wrote:of course... i never thought of the warward having metal weapons or armour... but of course they must have... silly me...
Wasn't Hile Troy's sword made out of ivory though?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

yeah the people still used raw materials, i think their greenyosity was more along the lines of not using them in any way that consumed them (braziers etc)
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

True. They must have gotten lomilliolor rods and hurtloam somehow. If not through cutting branches off trees and digging, then how?

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Maybe they coaxed it out. I mean, the hurtloam was probably just picked up, not dug. Probably same with gravelling. The wood is another matter. I doubt they used windfallen branches, I'd expect they would have been part of the tree they came from at the time of acquisition.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I was always under the impression that song was the key factor when working with wood or stone. Maybe this is another one of my unfounded assumptions, but Trell sang to the pot to mend it, and to bring the Graveling to life. I just thought if a Rhadhamaerl needed a Lomillalor rod, he would sing it out of the tree. Kinda like asking the tree for it, and recieving it as a gift. It would work for shaping stone, building stuff...
I don't know about ore though. Maybe they sang the ore out of the stone, but didn't consider smelting harmful to it. After all you can't make a sword without getting it hot and whacking it into a new shape. Didn't even Pitchwife sing to the Dromond when he was doing his wiving? Or was he just singing 'cause he liked to?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah the song seemed to be the power of the lore involved, and it invoked what we'd call magic ... to get rocks to glow etc etc.

I was gonna say that Pitchwife's work never involved breaking anything, and only involved mending, moulding etc.

But I just remembered that he broke the stuff off a block, so the story is different there.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Song, and asking permission, seem to be very much tied up in all post-desolation lore. We are never told what sort of wood lomilliolor is made of, so perhaps it is grown especially. Rillinlure is described as wood dust, and that suggests some sort of preparation, like shaving.

Sum sui generis
Vs

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

variol son wrote:Rillinlure is described as wood dust, and that suggests some sort of preparation, like shaving.
I'd always assumed it was collected from decayed wood.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Landwaster wrote:
variol son wrote:Rillinlure is described as wood dust, and that suggests some sort of preparation, like shaving.
I'd always assumed it was collected from decayed wood.
But if the wood is decaying, how can it heal. Wouldn't it reek of death?

Sum sui generis
Vs

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

It was a living thing, it had lifeforce .. all that energy has to go somewhere :)
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

But wouldn't the fact that it was decaying corrupt it, kinda like how the Sunbane corrupted stuff. It was alive in a way, but dying on the inside.

Sum sui generis
Vs

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Nah, cycle of life stuff, I reckon. Besides, Vain was alive in a way, but certainly not corrupt. Perhaps the Viles created all wood.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

lol, thats a bit far fetched, even for you landwaster :P lol...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”