"Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
"Up in the Air"
"Inglourious Basterds"
"Up"
"The Blind Side"
"District 9"
"An Education"
"A Serious Man"

Which pictures have the most nominations?

Actor

George Clooney, "Up in the Air"
Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"
Colin Firth, "A Single Man"
Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"
Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker"

Actress

Meryl Streep, "Julie & Julia"
Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"
Gabourey Sidibe, "Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
Helen Mirren, "The Last Station"
Carey Mulligan, "An Education"

Supporting actor

Matt Damon, "Invictus"
Woody Harrelson, "The Messenger"
Christopher Plummer, "The Last Station"
Stanley Tucci, "The Lovely Bones"
Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds"

Supporting actress

Vera Farmiga, "Up in the Air"
Mo'Nique, "Precious"
Anna Kendrick, "Up in the Air"
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
Maggie Gyllenhaal, "Crazy Heart"

Director

Quentin Tarantino, "Inglourious Basterds"
Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"
James Cameron, "Avatar"
Lee Daniels, "Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire"
Jason Reitman, "Up in the Air"

Discuss.....
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Up in the Air and A Serious Man were both fairly overrated, in my opinion. They were good, but they weren't great. Same for Basterds, though I'd have no problem with Tarantino getting Best Director. I only caught the end of Precious. Completely not my type of movie, but the performances were very good. Carrey Mulligan gave a very good performance in An Education, but I certainly wouldn't call it the best movie of the year. I liked Up (though I think The Fantastic Mr. Fox was better, as far as kid movies go) and The Blind Side well enough, but I don't think there's enough grit to either to clinch it. Nah, my money's on District 9, though I wouldn't be disappointed to see The Hurt Locker win (even if it is technically a 2008 film).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

If Avatar wins anything that doesn't have to do with special effects....*shakes fist*
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Hurt Locker and Up in the Air were good to very good, not great. Either would be better than the rest, though there are two I haven't seen.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Hurt Locker was very good. Love to see it win something.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Syl wrote:Up in the Air and A Serious Man were both fairly overrated, in my opinion.
UP was in comparison to Pixar, but Serious Man was the pwn. I disown you. Not that I ever owned you...but...yeah. Knowing Hollywood, Precious or Avatar will win Best Picture.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I was just non-chalantly looking over the list until I realized there was nothing for Moon.
Not even a nomination for Sam Rockwell. I'm not happy about that.
Bah! to the Academy for snubbing this movie.
(I've nothing against the nominees; have seen only three on the list.)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I really wish I saw more movies. :( Only one I saw was Avatar. :lol: Amusing because I find it very difficult to imagine that at least a couple of the ones I didn't see were much better. If it is, then it's a sad day for the Oscars. :lol: Yeah, it's a fun movie. Awesome effects. But, gimme me a break.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

matrixman wrote:I was just non-chalantly looking over the list until I realized there was nothing for Moon.
Not even a nomination for Sam Rockwell. I'm not happy about that.
Bah! to the Academy for snubbing this movie.
(I've nothing against the nominees; have seen only three on the list.)
It's all about guilds... Moon was written (and I believe, filmed) during the writers strike, and so it's snubbed because of pointless politics... of course, this is the world according to me. :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

If true, Orlion, that must be just the kind of thing that makes people cynical about Hollywood.

Fist, I enjoyed Avatar, too - really, I did! But I'm a bit surprised it got a Best Picture nod myself.
In terms of big budget sci-fi epics, I thought Watchmen was better.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

matrixman wrote:If true, Orlion, that must be just the kind of thing that makes people cynical about Hollywood.

Fist, I enjoyed Avatar, too - really, I did! But I'm a bit surprised it got a Best Picture nod myself.
In terms of big budget sci-fi epics, I thought Watchmen was better.
Waaaay better, though not without it's many issues/flaws.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

matrixman wrote:If true, Orlion, that must be just the kind of thing that makes people cynical about Hollywood.
I saw an interview once with Harrison Ford where he had just received some lifetime achievement award, or was named the greatest living actor, or something like that. In the interview he was extremely humble, and basically said that it was only because his movies made so much money for the industry, while there were much more deserving actors out there that noone's heard of.

Yeah, "the kind of thing that makes people cynical" is exactly right.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yeah, for someone that likes to see the movies before Oscar night, this year ain't gonna happen that way for me. There are a few I can rent, but otherwise I'll have to watch after the fact. Hell, I've not even seen Avatar yet. Just Up.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Just found out today that one of my favourite bands (Kila) played on the soundtrack to a film that's been nominated in the animation section, The Secret of Kells.

Might have to check this one out.
Kirikou and the Sorceress and Triplets of Belleville! Magic, fantasy and Celtic mythology come together in a riot of color and detail that dazzle the eyes in this sweeping story about the power of imagination and faith to carry humanity through dark times. Features the voices of Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter, In Bruges), Mick Lally, Evan McGuire and Christen Mooney.

Young Brendan lives in a remote medieval outpost under siege from barbarian raids. But a new life of adventure beckons when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying an ancient but unfinished book, brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the fairy Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendan's determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?
I know it only has five reviews, but it's got 100% on that tomatometer thing!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Never heard of The Secret of Kells, but I know Kila. Several years ago a friend lent me their first CD, and it became a big favorite of mine. But the band fell off my radar after that. Nice to know they're still making music!
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

The Kells film was at the last Brisbane International Film Festival I went to. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I do know that it was hugely popular, and made the audience top ten list I believe.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Return to “Flicks”