Will there be NFL football in 2011?

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Will the stalemate be overcome in time.

yes, they wont risk a lockout.
38%
no, we'll be screwed out of a football season.
63%

Total votes: 8

Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Will there be NFL football in 2011?

Post by Mr. Broken »

With the league, and the players union talks stalled, there is a definite possibility of a lock out for the 2011 season. That means no football. Both sides are only able to agree on one thing, that they are no where near an agreement. When billionaires, fight with millionaires, over money, whose side do you take ?
Wide Eyed Stupid
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

They'll work out the problem, or the network assassins will start killing. They remember the baseball strike.

Reminds me of what Clinton said back then, one of the few things I salute him for: "This is about a couple hundred men fighting over $20 billion dollars. Work it out."
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

What strike? A temporary slow down in interest in the game, that's long since gone? NFL knows deep down they'll survive lockout just fine in long run. A year w/o football would make most fans even more anxious for the following season, it won't make them leave. Besides, what are they going to switch too? All sports have had lock out in past, except maybe NBA? But who cares about that sport?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Kalkin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Kalkin »

It's not the fans that matter, it's the networks. They have pull, the fans don't. Networks lose those bucks, they'll kick up some crap.
"How do you say 'we're screwed' in your native tongue?" ~ John Crichton

And on the Eighth Day God created Whiskey so that the Irish would not rule the Earth
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Look at what happened with the hockey strike/lockout. Everyone lost.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Unfortunately the League is well aware of the amount of money a lockout would cost them, and they dont care. They dont care because they know that if Americans go a year without football, fans will pay even more to get it back. Higher ticket prices, higher parking fee's, and concessions. Say goodbye to seven dollars beers, they'll be twenty bucks by 2012.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Part of me thinks some professional athletes are grossly overpaid. Part of me thinks if the market can support it, why the Hell not.

One thing I love about professional athletics, though. There is no EEO discrimination bullshit. As I've stated before, it's the only industry in America that hires indiscriminately. They take the best man for the job, period.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Harbinger wrote:Part of me thinks some professional athletes are grossly overpaid. Part of me thinks if the market can support it, why the Hell not.

One thing I love about professional athletics, though. There is no EEO discrimination bullshit. As I've stated before, it's the only industry in America that hires indiscriminately. They take the best man for the job, period.
Awesome frackin' point.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “Sports”