Anything after MN?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Would you like to see Volume III of MN?

Leave it, it's done
36%
Yes
25%
write a book about Darsint's world, instead?
11%
don't care
No votes
O my groin!
11%
O my groin!
11%
Prequel
5%

Total votes: 44

danlo
Lord

Anything after MN?

Post by danlo »

I considered posing this question in "Hopping around the Board", but then I thought 'well, if everyone's talking about the 3rd Chrons, maybe we should be able to speculate about Volume III in the Mordant's Need series... '. ---- Could it possibly happen? Is there any need for it? If it was written what could possibly occur? King Joyce might die, who would succeed him? Artagel? Someone else? Where could a new threat arise from? Some enemy Cadwal has made an alliance w/from over seas? Is there a clue as to a new foe in one of the old mirror images? Could there possibly be any more rouge Imagers? Would Mordant be forced to march to Cadwal w/Alend to oppose such threats? What else could, possibly, happen? ----There has been some talk that AMRT was "wrapped up" a little too conveniently: they all got married, lived happily ever after, Darsint is the Castellean, Joyce gets off, pretty much, scott free...Wouldn't you like to see Joyce have to atone for alot more? Maybe he goes totally mad, steals some Imagers and runs off to Cadwal. Maybe the Armigrite goes nuts and plots a rebellion? If anything ever happens, or Vol. III is ever, really, written I for one would have to see Havelock still fighting on the side of Mordant--but I wouldn't lose any sleep if the necessity to oppose Joyce arose... ----Is MN totally done? Would you like some questions answered, would you like to see Joyce brought to terms? In a way MN is sort of like the Chrons--for me--it's still not finished... :?
Last edited by danlo on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I agree .. and I always thought MN was wrapped up way too quickly .. I dont know that I need to see Joyse atone more .. I think having waken up from his self-imposed stupor .. I would like to see him being a real father and ruler and husband to his Queen .. I would like to read of his discovering the value of his family .. and his regretting acutely his foolhardy attempt to feign stupidity ..

It was difficult choice to make .. I would like to see more of Darsint's world .. maybe he and the Lady Mist can discover a way for his return and together explore the realms of 'whatever his world was called'.

But it would be interesting to see Darsint in the role of CAstellan .. and if we had a 3rd MN .. a new threat to the congery would have to emerge or some other threat to their world .. maybe not one that calls on the talents of imagers ..

Maybe Eremis .. comes out of his TEresa imposed looney madness .. and want revenge!!

Or maybe some other out there wants to usurp or dominate the use of imagery to the subjection of the inhabitants of that world ..

Sure there are a lot of issues that can be explored still .. I would definitely be interested to read some of these things ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Very cool! Well said! I'm w/u m'Lord! 8)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

how did you vote twice?? .. or was it the vote of some lurking being?? :wink: :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Any1 can just pop in and vote w/out saying anything! Just had a funny little thought: what if they used Imagery to rebuild the Cares? The results could be cool! What if a bunch of Alend "rivals for the throne" got together and attacked Mordant when it was weak and just rebuilding--I can just see Prince Kragen, Darsint and Artagel defending Orison!!! Yea! Go Mordant!!! :D
Last edited by danlo on Wed May 24, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oooh and to think I thought I had already read this post!! That is a way cool idea!!

I like the idea of re-building the Cares with imagery!! And why not .. they have a lot of re-building to attend to .. a lot of work ahead!!

they have to regain the stability of the region .. so what an excellent suggestion!!

I wish now there could be a 2nd series!! .. there is so much material to work with here ..

and so much more to see!

Maybe we should begin a fan-fic if SRD doesnt look like making the attempt! mmm .. very exciting stuff!!
Last edited by Skyweir on Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Too cool! Let's do it!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

ok ..
  • we need a list of the characters from first series that need to be included in our fan-fic.
  • we need a list of the regions that we intend to discuss
  • we need ideas for what we want to do/explore?
  • I think its ok that we dont necessarily know what our plot line is at this stage?? but then I dont really know :oops:
ok how shall we begin danlo? Shall we do it post by post here .. or do you want to work out a few ideas on this thread .. and then move the actual fan-fic to a new thread?

I will come back later when I have more time and get started on the lists .. unless you beat me to it .. :P :D
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

I voted to leave it. Mostly because I like the "lived happily ever after" ending. I like that the story was wraped up nicely.

That being said, I would also *love* to see more with some of the other characters, as the leads maybe. I'd love to see how Argtel would do as the Perdon. I'm particularly interested in how Torrent would do as King Joyse's successor.

I think an interesting plot twist would be how Lady Elega and Prince Kragen would fair in Caldwel. Seeing how it is such a corrupted country...would they be able to "cleanse" it or would they fall into the corruption? I would definetly be interested in seeing where that could go.

I think the best continuation of Mordant's story would be of future generations. I would like to see Geraden and Teresa's children or grandchildren face some new threat.
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I just finished reading LotR's .. and had the same feeling .. I want to read more about where the elves go (The Haven etc) and Gandalf Frodo and Bilbo .. how they spend the end of their days .. I had the very sad feeling that they were going to another plane rather than another place .. I hope not though ..

I want to read more of Aragorn and Arwen's life together .. Faramir and Eowen .. the Ents .. Legolas .. did he return with the elves to The Haven ..

.. it is incurable curiosity that drives me to want to know more and read more about stories I have come to love.

Tis the same for me with MN .. though I can see why it has been done .. cos it has .. but all the same it would be good to know more of their future .. as you say the future generations of the Land.

If Donaldson should write another MN .. I would definitely buy and read it .. tis the same with the chrons .. absolutely! I am greedy for Donaldson .. and now greedy for Tolkien too!! :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

I'm in the middle of reading TTT from LOTR. But all of this talk about MN makes me want to put it down and get my MN books out again. Ha! Like I need to read it again! :D

For what like the 20th time... :D :D
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

oh no!! dont put it down .. I loved TTT!! .. and I loved Smeagol/Gollum's narrative .. what a character???

oh no whatever you do .. dont stop reading LotR's!! You can read MN as soon as your finished .. trust me .. I couldnt stand it if you .. stopped!!!

LotR's is remarkable!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lady Genni
Ramen

Post by Lady Genni »

Skyweir wrote: oh no whatever you do .. dont stop reading LotR's!!
Don't worry. This is like my third or fourth reading of LOTR. I read TCTC in Junior High and LOTR & MN in High School. But I didn't *really* get into MN till my mid twenties. That's about the time I'd read it at least twice a year. I've re-read most of my favorites at least three times. The Gap series being the exception. I refused to read any of the Gap books untill I had the complete set. (I hate waiting for the next edition!) So I just read that for the first time two years ago and re-read it earlier this year.

So not to worry My Lord. I will finish TTT and the LOTR before I pick up another book. I am quite enthralled and couldn't really stop now anyway.
Lady Genni
"By the Seven...!"
Dragon Chaser
Servant of the Land

Post by Dragon Chaser »

Let's write a book about Darnsit's world instead. :)
Wow! When I hit my head, nothing happens.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(I agree! Darsint is my FAV character in MN! That is my secret hope!)
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I agree with Lady Genni. I don't read many "All's well that ends well" stories. I really liked the Happily Ever After ending to Mordant's Need. It was a relief to see all the baddies get their just deserts, and all the goodies made happy in the end.

Not that I wouldn't love to read more.... :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I agree with Kathleen (Dragon Chaser). Darnsit is very cool. :D
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Darsint is cool. I could also go for a book, or even just a short story or two about his world. :D
But not until SRD finishes the Third Chrons!!!! :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I voted for it's done.

I once as a thought experiment tried to come up with alternative ideas for a sequel for Mordant's need. I came up with lots, none of which would really be worth writing about. The thing is, Mordant's Need ends in such a way that anything after it would either be anticlimactic, way too repetitive, or just plain too contrived and unlikely. (Fast-forward a few hundreds or thousand years might be an exception to this, provided that things get seriously different.)

By the way, Tolkien at one point attempted to write a sequel for LotR called A New Shadow. He didn't get far before he realized it would be totally unnecessary and anticlimactic, and so he abandoned it.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I simply do not see SRD returning to this story. At least with TC he had repeatedly spoken about there being an un explored concept that he felt strongly needed to be developed but I've heard no such comments from Donaldson regarding a return trip to Mordant. Just my opinion of course.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to โ€œMordant's Needโ€