Justified (new Timoty Olyphant series)

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Justified (new Timoty Olyphant series)

Post by [Syl] »

Sounds like it should be good. I'm looking forward to it.

Advance Review: Justified
‘BANG! BANG! BANG!’ U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) just shot a notorious gun thug in broad daylight at a swank Miami hotel. He was justified – the guy pulled first. Well, Raylan’s superior officers don’t care who pulled first – U.S. Marshals are not allowed to shoot on site and haven’t been since, oh, about a 100 years!

As punishment for the shooting, the Marshals send Raylan back to his home state of Kentucky, a place he swore to never return.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Just got done watching the pilot. I have to say, I liked it. It's definitely not CSI: Kentucky or any of that - cop drama more than crime drama, at least so far. The pilot was almost like a condensed Road House (Fire Down Below might be more apt, but would sound insulting). Just a lot of general badass-ness and interesting, well-drawn characters. Some of the characters are stock, but I imagine they'll stretch out as the series goes on, and Olyphant is pretty much just reprising Bullock. But that's not really a bad thing. The dialogue is strong, though I think it will take a while to hit its stride.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Isn't this show written by Elmore Leonard?

I am hearing good things so far. I might actually watch a cop show.

Where's the trailer?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Not written by, but based on one of his books, I believe.
-George Steiner
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I am now watching Deadwood and LOVE IT!! bumbed Wild Bill got killed so quick but since it history nothing they can do about it. I had to see what happens to Calamity Jane so i did a bio on her life :D when i looked up Calamity Jane a hand drawn picture came up and both me and my wife said "SHES A DEAD RINGER" before we realized it was drawings for the HBO show deadwood and not an
authentic pic..hehe.

Looking forward to the new show with Olyphant, I remember that guy from the movie GO. hes a good western character in Deadwood and hopefully the new show takes off. he reminds me of the guy who played Ringo in Tombstone.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

"Course I got a bat. What do you think, I'm a fag?"

Last night's ep more than made up for last week's.
-George Steiner
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

hehe... my Wife and I just got done with Deadwood season 3, so we started watching Justified... I was messing with my wife and told her.. "its pretty funny that the Marshalls Great Great Grandpa in justified is Seth Bullock" she said NO WAY!!!! i had to duck and run when i said JK. Im watching episode 5 tonight and cant wait for the 6th episode on tuesday.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

so the reverend from Deadwood got a bit part as a hitman in Justified.. it made me take a good look at all characters.. so far i have spotted 2 from the deadwood series in Justified.. Olyphant and the Rev.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

He also directed and starred with Goggins (Boyd) in Randy and the Mob, an interesting, unique indie comedy with a distinct southern flavor. Though in that movie, Goggins was the mob agent while McKinnon was the good ol' boy.

(and looking at McKinnon's other award-winning films, Goggins was in both The Accountant and That Evening Sun)
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I just started this series on Blu-ray. I'm 4 episodes in ... and it's okay. The dialog is strong. The characters are quirky and interesting. I hope it gains some depth.

Several of my friends/family have recommended it, since it's a Kentucky cop drama, and a lot of the action takes place in Lexington.

Note: It's impossible to be east of 75 on Tates Creek road. If you're going to base a show on a real location, would it be too much trouble to take 5 seconds and look at a map on Google? I mean, obviously they had to check a map to know that 75 and Tates Creek are actual roads in Lexington. So why not take the tiny bit of extra effort and make sure that the dialog doesn't contradict reality? I realize that 90% of the audience won't notice. But for those of us who tune in specifically for the Kentucky connection, mistakes like this just scream, "It's a gimmick, we don't really know anything about Kentucky at all."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Zarathustra wrote:I just started this series on Blu-ray. I'm 4 episodes in ... and it's okay. The dialog is strong. The characters are quirky and interesting. I hope it gains some depth.

Several of my friends/family have recommended it, since it's a Kentucky cop drama, and a lot of the action takes place in Lexington.

Note: It's impossible to be east of 75 on Tates Creek road. If you're going to base a show on a real location, would it be too much trouble to take 5 seconds and look at a map on Google? I mean, obviously they had to check a map to know that 75 and Tates Creek are actual roads in Lexington. So why not take the tiny bit of extra effort and make sure that the dialog doesn't contradict reality? I realize that 90% of the audience won't notice. But for those of us who tune in specifically for the Kentucky connection, mistakes like this just scream, "It's a gimmick, we don't really know anything about Kentucky at all."

:lol: precisely why i have not been watching the show. it's like nick nolte and eddie murphy turning a corner in the mission district of san francisco and being in chinatown clear across the city. :lol:
(not to mention the bad ky accents)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The closest I ever came to Kentucky was a roommate who used to play basketball for KSU. You all (y'all) sound alike to me.

That said, Justified is a great series. If you weren't impressed by the pilot, I don't know what to tell you. The rest of the season was either hit or miss, but I don't think there were any bad episodes.

Season 2, however, was outstanding. I haven't seen such complex, real, and relatable gray (as opposed to black) bad guys since... I don't know, Al Swearengen . Hell, Raylan Givens makes Seth Bullock look like a Zen master. Boyd Crowder (Goggins) runs a moral gamut that should not be missed. And if you want to see a very different side to Jeremy Davies (Lost's Daniel Jackson), you have to see him play Dickey Bennett.

I'd hold the show up against any other drama on TV, except, maybe, Breaking Bad.

BTJA Announces Nominations for First Critics` Choice Television Awards
Best Show, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Actress.
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Good to hear it gets better. I have no complaints about the series so far, and the pilot was indeed good. It's just that I heard that it was amazing, so I suppose my expectations were too high.

Not all the accents were bad. I think the main characters sound fine. The blonde lady who shot her husband (main character's love interest, I suppose) is laying it on a bit thick. It sounds more southern--like Georgia or Alabama--than eastern Kentucky. Southern accents are kind of nice ... reminds me of BBQ and pecan pie. But eastern Kentucky accents are unmistakably hillbilly. I've known educated people, people with their masters degree, who come from eastern Kentucky and they still sound dumb as shit, even though they're not. It's a horrible, ugly accent. Thank god most of Kentucky doesn't sound like that. But she should, being from Harlan. Come to think of it, so should Givens, since that's where he came from. But I suppose he could have worked to lose the accent, since he hates Kentucky and swore to never return.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Season 1 is getting much better. The introduction of the two dads into the picture has provided some of that depth I was missing.

The bad guys are getting very interesting, too.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We're rewatching from the beginning, since the final season starts in January.

After 4 seasons (still haven't watched the most recent season 5) this show got much, MUCH better. I think perhaps season 2 was my favorite, but they've all been good.

Anyone else looking forward to the end? Anyone still watching?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's a decent show that survives on the chemistry and tension between Raylan and Boyd. I'm looking forward to the ending, though I admit that I have no idea how the show should end.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

[SEASON 6 SPOILERS!]

We only had time to watch seasons 1, 2, & 5. The show didn't really hold up well to multiple views.

Season 6 started last night. As the end of 5 implied, it's all coming down to Boyd and Raylan. Last night's episode is off to a good start, though I was sad to see Dewy go. After all the shit he's been through (self-imposed or otherwise), I actually wanted that idiot to have a happy ending.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Dewy's luck finally ran out.

The show is definitely about chemistry and snappy dialog. The narrative is......nebulous.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Excellent episode of Justified last night. It actually had some real emotion to it. The parallel stories between Ava/Boyd and Raylan/Winona was quite a contrast within the narrative symmetry. You can really feel it winding down to the end, with such pivotal moments for each of these characters. I have a bad feeling about Winona's chances, now that she has finally said she accepts him as a marshal. That can't just have a happy ending with no consequences. Raylan has to have some motivation to go ballistic, and the death of his wife--the end of his chances at domestic bliss--might do the trick.

And damnit, now I'm rooting for Boyd and Ava, too, with the same feeling of trepidation. Perhaps Boyd and Raylan will team up in the end against Avery Markum, both of them fueled by a need for revenge? It could go in so many directions at this point.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Holy hell, another great episode this week. This season has really stepped it up over the narrative laziness that's plagued some of the past seasons.

Return to “TV Shows”