Been googling with poor results. Is there a character list?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Been googling with poor results. Is there a character list?

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I read the books when I was 14. I read them voraciously, hardly having the time to keep track of characters as I turned page after page.
I kinda want a refresher course because its been so long. Can anyone steer me to a good list of characters from the series?
I loved Lord Mhoram. I seem to remember (in the second chronicles?) that he actually came to our world and wept.
"Your world is a hell!"
One of the most memorable moments in the series to me.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Mhoram says that in the beginning of the third book of the First Chrons - The Power that Preserves. And yes, it's among the biggest and most memorable scenes in all the books.

I don't know of any character list.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Been googling with poor results. Is there a character l

Post by Menolly »

Lord Zombiac wrote:I read the books when I was 14. I read them voraciously, hardly having the time to keep track of characters as I turned page after page.
I kinda want a refresher course because its been so long. Can anyone steer me to a good list of characters from the series?
Do the copies of your books have a glossary in the back of them? The descriptions are all pretty much one sentence long, but many characters are listed there...
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Oh I haven't had those books for many years. I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to read them again though. Especially now that there's a third series! I just found out about that today, btw!
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

oh yeah it's well worth re-reading.. There's a lot to love about these books and they are just as good while you are re-reading them
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Just as good? Wow! If that is possible I'm there! I seldom re-read books. When I first read them I remembered blazing through the pages like I couldn't get enough. I remember fighting to keep awake in the wee small hours of the morning so I could keep reading! I remember my first thought when I woke up: I can keep reading this!!!!!
Could something be that good twice?
Tell me its true! I'll have even more stuff to spend my scarce money on next month when I have more than two cents to rub together!!!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

By and large the most frequent comment I hear from people who re-read the Chronicles, especially after a first reading them many years ago as a youth, is that they find them more engaging the second time.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Completely concur with Wayfriends observation - the 2nd reading of the Chrons always goes way beyond the first because you pick up the nuances of charachter better and when something beautiful happens that you had forgotten about......!
(ps. Did Morham actually travel to Covenant's world at any point - I seem to have forgotten this if it happened.)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

peter wrote:(ps. Did Morham actually travel to Covenant's world at any point - I seem to have forgotten this if it happened.)
Not that I recall.
I believe the comment quoted is in response to seeing the condition Covenant is in when he and Foamfollower attempt summoning him right before they release him to go help the snake bitten little girl.

But, that is based on a read years ago.
I may have my plot points confused...
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Menolly wrote:
peter wrote:(ps. Did Morham actually travel to Covenant's world at any point - I seem to have forgotten this if it happened.)
Not that I recall.
I believe the comment quoted is in response to seeing the condition Covenant is in when he and Foamfollower attempt summoning him right before they release him to go help the snake bitten little girl.

If he did not actually go there, he was able to open a portal and see what was happening. I found the quote. Seems like many people besides myself were impressed by it:
The sight of the Unbeliever's suffering shocked Mhoram. Covenant was starving, he desperately needed rest, he had a deep and seriously untended wound on his forehead. His whole body was bruised and battered as if he had been stoned, and one side of his mouth was caked with ugly blood. But as bad as his physical injuries were, they paled beside his psychic distress. Appalled resistance oozed from him like the sweat of pain, and a fierce fire of will held him unincarnate. As he fought the completion of his summoning, he reminded Mhoram forcefully of dukkha, the poor Waynhim upon which Lord Foul had practiced so many torments with the Illearth Stone. He resisted as if the Lords were coercing him into a vat of acid and virulent horror.

"Covenant!" Mhoram groaned. "Oh, Covenant." In his fatigue, he feared that he would not be able to hold back his weeping. "You are in hell. Your world is a hell."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Lord Zombiac wrote:
Menolly wrote:
Not that I recall.

If he did not actually go there, he was able to open a portal and see what was happening. I found the quote. Seems like many people besides myself were impressed by it:
The sight of the Unbeliever's suffering shocked Mhoram. Covenant was starving, he desperately needed rest, he had a deep and seriously untended wound on his forehead. His whole body was bruised and battered as if he had been stoned, and one side of his mouth was caked with ugly blood. But as bad as his physical injuries were, they paled beside his psychic distress. Appalled resistance oozed from him like the sweat of pain, and a fierce fire of will held him unincarnate. As he fought the completion of his summoning, he reminded Mhoram forcefully of dukkha, the poor Waynhim upon which Lord Foul had practiced so many torments with the Illearth Stone. He resisted as if the Lords were coercing him into a vat of acid and virulent horror.

"Covenant!" Mhoram groaned. "Oh, Covenant." In his fatigue, he feared that he would not be able to hold back his weeping. "You are in hell. Your world is a hell."
*nodding*

I always read that as though a ghostly Covenant was in the midst of materializing but resisting in response to the Summoning, in the physical condition as he was in our world. The same as him being in the current condition he was in in our world when he first materialized on Kevin's Watch in L-rd Foul's Bane, before Lena applied the hurtloam. But neither Mhoram nor Foamfollower saw our world, only Covenant inn his current physical condition inbetween the two.

Perhaps caamora's dissection of chapter two of TPTP will help us recall it better, before we re-read...
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Lord Zombiac wrote:Just as good? Wow! If that is possible I'm there! I seldom re-read books. When I first read them I remembered blazing through the pages like I couldn't get enough. I remember fighting to keep awake in the wee small hours of the morning so I could keep reading! I remember my first thought when I woke up: I can keep reading this!!!!!
Could something be that good twice?
Tell me its true! I'll have even more stuff to spend my scarce money on next month when I have more than two cents to rub together!!!!!
Yup, I go along with that - better even - I had a 25 year break from reading them, noticed the 3rd Chrons in a bookshop, thought, "I've moved on from fantasy now" but was intrigued as I remembered loving the books so much in my late teens, had a second thought, "what the hell, I'm interested to see how they stand up on a second read"... and was blown away by them all over again.

And, the added insights of the Watch provide an additional dimension.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I didn't wait nearly as wrong to re-read them, and they were still as amazing (actually, more so) the second, third, fourth...well, you get the point :D There are just so many ways to read them...I doubt I will grow tired of them any time soon.

As far as the Mhoram in TC's world, as I recall, he was seeing TC in a transistion state (as Menolly described) and could see the physical danger and pain Covenant was in, illiciting the response that he was in hell, that his world was a hell. That's actually one of my favorite scenes :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Im envious of you, I wish I could look forward to the 1st rereading, with only months till AAT to go. and you have the first read of the first two of the last!
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I went to the bookstore and they've ordered a new copy of "Lord Foul's Bane."
"the Illearth War" and "the Power that preserves" will follow shortly after... I am so excited to be picking up those books again! Quite obviously I've forgotten a lot.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You will be literally amazed at how much you've forgotten. It's not a guess, it's a fact. If you loved them before, you'll love them at least as much the second time.

Triock and Foamfollower summoned Covenant. That came after Mhoram released Covenant from the summons that he was performing. During which he saw Covenant, in terrible condition. He did not see anything of Covenant's world.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Closest thing to a character list I know of. There are probably more specific lists but at least you get a name and short description without opening up a book. :-)

theland.antgear.com/glossary.html
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

aTOMiC wrote:Closest thing to a character list I know of. There are probably more specific lists but at least you get a name and short description without opening up a book. :-)

theland.antgear.com/glossary.html
thanks!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Will you keep us posted on this thread of your experiences on the re-reading after so long - a sort of emotional blog as it occors. I know it is a lot to ask but I for one would be very interested in how things take you after many years (I assume) have passed. Also it alows us to share, albeit in a vicarious fashion, in the exprience - and of course to add our observations.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
MountainMan
Servant of the Land

Post by MountainMan »

I thought I had seen something somewhere on the internet a while back listing information about characters and places, etc from the books. Try this link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Land_%28fiction%29#Peoples_and_races_of_the_Land
I hope it helps!
You see much that is hidden O' Tim... ...Quite!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”