Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Post by Cagliostro »

No topic for this? Insanity!

This is one of the most clever and fun movies I've seen for a while. It has an especially interesting style. Boiling it down from the videogame connections, it was a very clever way of saying how we all carry around our baggage from past relationships.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I think I'm too old for this movie. My 17-yr-old son liked it (which, after enough experience, has become my gold standard for avoiding a movie). I just can't get into yet another geeky lead guy pining over some girl that's out of his league. Maybe that resonates with aging geeks, too, and not just teenagers [edit: thinking of Harry Knowles, not you Cag! :D ]. But I have no interest in a plot driven by video game pop culture references.

I read one review that said it was a good thing Scott tells the audience that he grew by the end, because otherwise there would be absolutely no way to tell. One fight scene after another, with zero character development in between. Combined with an ambivalent girl who thinks she's too cool for human hair color, who forces this geek to go to super-human lengths to "win" her love (does he actually win her over? I heard it ends ambiguously), I really am turned off from the entire set-up. The only cool thing I've seen in the promotions for this movie is the poster with the Rickenbacker bass. 8)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zarathustra wrote:I just can't get into yet another geeky lead guy pining over some girl that's out of his league.
Which is not the case in the movie. He gets the girl early on - it's him dealing with her past exes that's the issue. The lead female is not out of his league, anyway.

I watched the movie last night, and enjoyed it. The movie was quite dense, in terms of story, and some of the jokes were handled poorly (Seinfeld scene), but overall it was good. I loved Gideon Graves, and the gay roommate was superbly played.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Loremaster wrote:Which is not the case in the movie. He gets the girl early on - it's him dealing with her past exes that's the issue.
If he gets the girl, why must he deal with the exes? I thought she made him do that. In fact, I saw her say that in the trailer. If some girl said that to me, I'd drop her in a heartbeat. It's bullshit. What do the exes have to do with him?
IMBD wrote:Plot: Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart.
Hmmm... maybe you should tell the folks at IMBD they don't know what they're talking about. :lol:
The lead female is not out of his league, anyway.
You've got to be kidding. Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor. And the only reason he's successful as an actor is because there is suddenly a market for movies about wimpy, geeky guys pining over girls out of their league.

Maybe we should ask the Watch ladies. Ladies?
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Yeah, Z, don't go by the ads and the premise. It is full of metaphor, and terribly clever. You'd just have to see it.

I'll admit that I'm fond of Michael Cera, especially through Arrested Development. Strangely enough, he came off as much cooler than he has in the past. And the Arrested Development battle between him and Egg/Ann/Plain was fantastic, although there was no other reference to Arrested Development other than the actors. It is full of pop culture and videogame references, so if that bugs you, then it is probably not your cup of tea. Otherwise, you should see it before pass final judgment. I just thought it looked like fun and it ended up way surpassing my expectations, which were admittedly low.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cagliostro wrote:... you should see it before pass final judgment.
That's certainly true. It bugs me when people judge things they haven't seen. All I can say is that the premise and the promotional material turned me off. I'll check it out on Blu-ray once it comes out.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zarathustra wrote:You've got to be kidding. Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor. And the only reason he's successful as an actor is because there is suddenly a market for movies about wimpy, geeky guys pining over girls out of their league.

Maybe we should ask the Watch ladies. Ladies?
You do realise Scott Pilgrim is not a documentary? I though we were discussing the movie and not Cera. If you want to discuss the likelihood of the actor getting women I'm willing to engage in superficial conversation. However, if you are willing to discuss Pilgrim's dating experience with the female (whose name I cannot recall :lol: ), perhaps see the movie before you criticise it? For instance, the ex situation you pointed out is explained adequately. :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Loremaster, I just admitted that I should see it before judging it. However, what I can criticize with some justification is premise and the believablity of this actor (whom I can't stand) in a romantic role. This whole forum is pretty superficial. It's about movies, after all. And this particular movie is inspired by video games and comic books. It might be done well--I don't know--but the thread was superficial before I ever got here. So I didn't exactly interrupt some deep discussion on the meaning of life to talk about sex. And we're not exactly talking about Shawshank Redemption or Schindler's List. (And even if we were, they're still just movies.)

I understand that the movie isn't about Cera. But he's playing the role. And I assume they cast him in this role--rather than Brad Pitt--because his look and mannerisms fit the character. So either he was miscast, or they did indeed want to portray some wimpy/geeky guy getting a hip/cute girl. That's why I say she's out of his league. And that's why it doesn't appeal to me, because I'm not a wimpy/geeky guy, and I can't identify with that kind of story. I may be wrong, but don't blame me--blame the marketing guys. I'll see it when it comes out on Blu-ray, but I bet you won't like my opinions any better once I'm armed with even more ammunition. :twisted:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zarathustra. I didn't mean for my comment to sound that way, and I could have edited it to sound more polite - but I went to work soon after and I don't have net access. Anyway.

I see your point, and I guess you have the right, but it is an opinion - as is mine. Either views are superficial. But I disagree that the female lead is out of his league.

By the way, and you may hate me for saying this. But all this talk about Cera reminds me of something. Everytime I watch arrested development and see Tobias Funke I am reminded of you. You do look alike, in a way. Sorry lol
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Zarathustra wrote:If he gets the girl, why must he deal with the exes? I thought she made him do that. In fact, I saw her say that in the trailer. If some girl said that to me, I'd drop her in a heartbeat. It's bullshit. What do the exes have to do with him?
Like I said before, it's a lot of metaphor in the movie. For instance, he starts seeing this lady, and after the first guy shows up and he defeats him, then she clues him in that, "oh yeah, you'll have to deal with my 7 evil exes." I can't help what IMDB puts for their plot summary, but it is inaccurate in that he will win her heart until after he defeats them - he's already got her attention and heart to a degree, and like a videogame he can only truly be with her once he has gone through all the trials ahead. Slight spoiler ahead: But it really is a metaphor for how we each have to deal with the baggage that someone else has from past relationships, or at least that is my interpretation, and I see it justified within the movie. So while her telling him he'll have to deal with the damage the exes have done to her psychologically never really happens in real life, it does become apparent in relationships through talking with someone that you realize, "Whoa...this person has some issues." It makes sense in the realm of the movie, though, and yeah, most new boyfriends don't have to deal with supernatural powers that the exes have, or whatnot. It's a strange mix, but one that I thought was very inventive and clever. It's certainly no Shawshank or Schindler's List, nor does it aim to be. But I found it clever and fun, as well as giving me several pretty big belly laughs, which is more than I hope for with many movies. And to be honest, I didn't expect it as much from the ads for the movie as well.

With that said, Cera does play a bit more confident than usual, and is a bit of a badass in this movie. I wouldn't agree that he is wimpy in this, but he is still geeky, as are all the characters for the most part. With that said, I also agree that he was a bit miscast, but I think Brad Pitt would be considerably more of a casting mistake.
Zarathustra wrote:
The lead female is not out of his league, anyway.
You've got to be kidding. Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor. And the only reason he's successful as an actor is because there is suddenly a market for movies about wimpy, geeky guys pining over girls out of their league.
I guess you'd have to see the movie to make your decision, but I also don't think she is out of his league. But again, I don't have a problem with Michael Cera. She's really kind of a bitch, and I never got what was so great about her, to be honest. And yes, we really aren't dealing with a lot of reality in this movie, as the majority of the movie is blown way out of the confines of reality.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Loremaster wrote:Everytime I watch arrested development and see Tobias Funke I am reminded of you. You do look alike, in a way. Sorry lol
I've never watched Arrested Development, but I did a quick google search. Funny. Clearly, I've touched a nerve here. Either you identify so much with Cera that you feel personally insulted when I make fun of him, or you're in desperate need of some new glasses. :twisted:

Do we need to talk about the pompous dandy you choose for your avatar? :twisted:
Cagliostro wrote:It's a strange mix, but one that I thought was very inventive and clever. It's certainly no Shawshank or Schindler's List, nor does it aim to be. But I found it clever and fun, as well as giving me several pretty big belly laughs, which is more than I hope for with many movies.
Oh I have no problem with a "merely" fun. A movie doesn't have to be Shawshank or SL. In fact, I'd prefer that it wasn't. I was just razzing Loremaster for his "superficial conversation" jab at me.

You guys have piqued my interest. I had no intention of watching it before this thread, but I'll give it a try.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zarathustra wrote:I've never watched Arrested Development, but I did a quick google search. Funny. Clearly, I've touched a nerve here. Either you identify so much with Cera that you feel personally insulted when I make fun of him, or you're in desperate need of some new glasses. :twisted:

Do we need to talk about the pompous dandy you choose for your avatar? :twisted: .
Z. I hope you don't think I was mocking you mentioning that you look like Tobias. I don't think it's a criticism. And if it did seem that way, then I apologise.

As for Cera. There's no nerve being touched. I just think that to say "Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor. " was too harsh, and not a criticism of the movie other than your bias. However, I understand that such views can affect a movie. I don't think he's attractive, either, but I put that aside and it showed me that you don't need to be a Holywood hunk etc for a romance on screen to work.

As for my avatar, let's head to the TV forum to talk about Pride & Prejudice ;) :lol:
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I think Michael Cera looks kinda turtlish.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Loremaster wrote:Z. I hope you don't think I was mocking you mentioning that you look like Tobias. I don't think it's a criticism. And if it did seem that way, then I apologise.
Oh, come on. If you didn't think it was a criticism, you wouldn't have said, "sorry lol." Honestly, I don't mind. I can take it. I thought it was obvious that I was going along with the joke and poking fun at myself by changing my avatar.
Loremaster wrote:As for Cera. There's no nerve being touched. I just think that to say "Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor. " was too harsh, and not a criticism of the movie other than your bias.
It was my way of making a crass joke, nothing more. Obviously, it was an utter failure. :cry:
Loremaster wrote:However, I understand that such views can affect a movie. I don't think he's attractive, either, but I put that aside and it showed me that you don't need to be a Holywood hunk etc for a romance on screen to work.
I agree completely. One of my favorite movies is Adaptation, which has Nicholas Cage's character bemoaning his baldness and fat gut. The baldness I can identify with, and the gut (sometimes, especially in the winter months :oops: ). This isn't really as big a deal to me as it has become in this thread. Sorry to derail the discussion!
Loremaster wrote:As for my avatar, let's head to the TV forum to talk about Pride & Prejudice ;) :lol:
Hmm. Sounds like an interesting story. I'll have to check it out.

Now, I can't stand looking at that avatar anymore ... I've got to change it now!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Zarathustra wrote: You guys have piqued my interest. I had no intention of watching it before this thread, but I'll give it a try.
Crap. Now we've probably built it up too much, which means it will be a total bafflement to you. Much like Napoleon Dynamite was to me. Oh well.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It was my way of making a crass joke, nothing more. Obviously, it was an utter failure.
But as a Cross joke, it was a complete success.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Zarathustra wrote: You've got to be kidding. Michael Cera isn't in any female's league. If he's getting laid at all, it's only because he's a wealthy Hollywood actor.
That's harsh, man. You're sounding like a rich snobby *******, the kind who walks into a party and HAS to have every girl fawning over him, or he get angry and jealous.

So what if he's geeky? A lot of girls are geeky, too. Heck, a lot of girls that aren't geeky like geeky guys. Lighten up a little.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Well, you guys piqued my interest (plus another friend of mine mentioned the vegan thing). Caught a matinee. That was, for me, the best movie I've seen in a long time. Not that it's a masterpiece or anything, but it hit all the right notes for me, especially since I've been a video game geek since before it was cool. Part Kung Fu Hustle, part Chasing Amy, part... I dunno, Zombieland or some other modern comedy.

Cera probably wouldn't have been my choice for the lead, but he did his thing and did it well.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Rigel wrote:
That's harsh, man. You're sounding like a rich snobby *******, the kind who walks into a party and HAS to have every girl fawning over him, or he get angry and jealous.

So what if he's geeky? A lot of girls are geeky, too. Heck, a lot of girls that aren't geeky like geeky guys. Lighten up a little.
Whoa, first I look like Tobias Funk, and now I'm a rich snobby ******? Is Cera a friend yours? :lol:

Surely you have an actor or two that gets under your skin, an actor who immediately turns you off to a movie? Sinbad, perhaps? :biggrin: We all have one or two.
Syl wrote: part... I dunno, Zombieland
Cag, have no fear of raising my expectations too high. This just shot them right back down. Zombieland was the final straw in movies which my 17-yr-old loved, but I hated. The movie after which I swore to never listen to another one of his recommendations again. And it had the *other* geeky young actor I can't stand (for a while I thought he and Cera were the same guy, until Ki pointed out that there are two wimpy/geeky actors getting roles in movies I don't like lately). When I was talking about a trend in geeks pining over girls out of their league, I was thinking specifically of him in Adventureland (another teenager recommendation). Uhg.
Cag wrote:Much like Napoleon Dynamite was to me.
ND was one of those movies you have to see more than once to truly appreciate its subtle, atmospheric character humor. A classic.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

LOL, you can't drop into a thread and not start a ruckus Z. Though I'm passing on Pilgrim due to Cera myself. I don't really care for him as the lead. Based on the way Scott Pilgrim is drawn, I don't get the casting department's decision beyond the whole trending young actor's draw on demographics. That's not just me, a few mainstream critics have noted his acting was flat as the character of Pilgrim, all the while the other supporting cast (notably the gay roommate) was stealing the movie.

I'll catch it on Netflix.

Return to “Flicks”