Books in the land

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Books in the land

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Im sure this has been commented on but apart from kevins wards no other writting is ever mentioned in the land! how would people read if the only written scroll is the first and second ward
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Damn Jack - Thats a good question. Blessed if I can answer it (exept perhaps they had a stash of books in the Loreserat from a distant time past - perhaps even our own world; have we ever considered the idea that the Land may be our own world millions of years in the future and TC's 'translation' to the Land is in fact a time travel on our own world - from which they study the ancient and not very much used art of reading 'Watchmen' and 'Sin City' comics.)

Seriously though - it's a good point from the point of view of narrative consistency.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

There doesn't seem to be a culture of "reading for enjoyment" in the Land. Most of the literacy in the Land is the ability to read Earthpower. This ability serves their purpose, but if they are in need of a good tale, than they have someone sing... kinda like an oral tradition of sorts.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

I cant recall any persific description of the loresorat havin written records or scrolls other than the first ward! we assume it did for if not then what was it but SRD doesnt say so or does he

Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Do you know if the Hall of Gifts was ever mentioned in LFB? because the second ward was opening up hidden doors in Revelstone - that's how the lords found the krill of loric, i think!

the keys to these doors were magic words, spoken or maybe even sung.
the haruchai knew some of the words, of course, but their vow forbid the use or the knowledge of them to be known to the lords. Orders from the High Command, i guess...High Lord Kevin, that is!
Spoiler
Runnik + Tull = Tunnel
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Well, just my opinion here, as little as it matters. SRD doesn't waste time putting stuff in his books that doesn't directly mean something to the story; if he was THAT detailed, he'd be writing libraries full to get it done and we'd all be bored and no one would want to read them. Apart from Lena's rape, sex is not mentioned. Neither is taking a dump, giving birth, sneezing, brushing teeth, doing laundry, killing animals for food, and a host of other things. Yet you know they were humans and did all those things. Their ability to read, if it exists, had no bearing on events, so he left it out. Also, stories are passed down from generation to generation by song and telling. Maybe it's like that planet in Stargate; Foul, while on the council, decreed that writing was forbidden, who knows? Interesting question, but I never thought of it before. Ironic; Covenant an author gets sent to a Land where no one reads. Hmmmmm......
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Rocksister wrote:Ironic; Covenant an author gets sent to a Land where no one reads. Hmmmmm......
Don't touch me, I'm an author! Don't you know what that means?!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

No wonder the lords couldn't make it past the first ward.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

I can just see the new lords as they recived the first ward from the giants
Giant 'here is the first ward of high lord kevins lore, the knoledge of the old lords first instalment, this will make you wise and gifted in Earthpower as wielded from High lord Bereks time recive it with humility'
Lord 'Thankyou giant, now to look upon the knoledge of the old lords.........hang on what are all these squigerly lines?

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:No wonder the lords couldn't make it past the first ward.
It was said that there was great difficulty translating the First Ward, and the second ward, thats why it was such a slow process. So it could have been almost like translating the Rosetta stone.

Although there was a brief mention, in LFB about writing. I can't recall who said it, but when asked to figure out how long it would take to make the Gildenlode rudders for the giant ships, someone figured it wout on a wax tablet with a stylus.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

drew wrote:Although there was a brief mention, in LFB about writing. I can't recall who said it, but when asked to figure out how long it would take to make the Gildenlode rudders for the giant ships, someone figured it wout on a wax tablet with a stylus.
Good catch!
In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:The Hearthrall pulled a small tablet and stylus from his robe and began to calculate, muttering to himself. The scrape of his stylus could be heard throughout the Close until he raised his head and said stiffly, "The lore remains. But not easily. The best we can do. Of course. And time - it will need time. Bodach glas, it will need time."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good job, Drew!
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

jackgiantkiller wrote:I can just see the new lords as they recived the first ward from the giants
Giant 'here is the first ward of high lord kevins lore, the knoledge of the old lords first instalment, this will make you wise and gifted in Earthpower as wielded from High lord Bereks time recive it with humility'
Lord 'Thankyou giant, now to look upon the knoledge of the old lords.........hang on what are all these squigerly lines?
:banana:
No wonder the lords couldn't make it past the first ward.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”