The origin of Monty Python's famous "Chees Shop" s

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

The origin of Monty Python's famous "Chees Shop" s

Post by Usivius »

Ok, I stumbled upon this while reading a certain 'classic'. I have never heard or seent his discussed anywhere (not that it hasn't) but just in case, I claim the discovery as mine, and no one elses' (ahem)...
Read below and tell me if this does not sound almost exactly like the "cheese-shop" sketch...
Now when supper time came they retires to their room, and Sancho asked the landlord what he had to give them to eat. The host replied that they could have as much as they could eat of anything they liked to ask for, as the inn was stocked with the birds of the air, the fowls of the woods and the fish of the sea.
“There is no need for that,” replied Sancho. “We shall be satisfied with a couple of chickens roasted for us, for my master is weak in the stomach and eats little, and I’m no enormous glutton.”
The landlord replied that he has no chickens, for the kites (bird of prey) had devoured them.
“Then, Master Host,” said Sancho, “have a hen roasted for us, so long as it’s a tender one.”
“A hen! Good heavens!,” replied the landlord. “Indeed, I sent more than fifty to town only yesterday to be sold. Ask for anything else you like, your worship, but not for hens.”
“Well,” said Sancho, “there’ll be no shortage of veal or goat, surely.”
“We’ve none in the house just now,” replied the landlord, “for they’re all finished up, but next week we shall have plenty.”
“That’ll do us a lot of good!” replied Sancho. “But I’ll bet you can make up for everything with lashings of bacon and eggs.”
“My lord!” exclaimed the landlord. “He’s a fine one, this guest of mine. I’ve just told him I’ve got no hens, and he expects me to have eggs! Discuss some other delicacies, if you like, but stop asking for rarities.”
“Let’s decide on something, for goodness sake,” said Sancho. “Tell me, once and for all, what have you got, Master host, and stop your discussions.”
“What I have actually got,” said the innkeeper, “is two cow heels that might be taken for calves’ feet, or two calves’ feet that are like cow heels. They are stewed in chick-peas, onions and bacon, and at this very minute they’re crying out ‘Eat me! Eat me!’”
You may have guessed that this is from Cervantes' "Don Quixote"... I did my best to supress my giggles as i read this on the bus yesterday ...

:biggrin:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

That's nice. Good catch. 8)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If you're gonna steal, steal from the best. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow! Sure looks like it to me! Never heard it mentioned. There's should certainly be some MP award for you!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I've heard that Basil Fawlty was based on a real innkeeper whose inn John CLease had stayed at.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

drew wrote:I've heard that Basil Fawlty was based on a real innkeeper whose inn John CLease had stayed at.
yep, very true...
:lol:
now that's an inn I would love to visit .. not stay, mind you, just visit....
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “General Discussion Forum”