Half-book titles

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

largo
Servant of the Land

Half-book titles

Post by largo »

Can someone assist me? I'm looking at the titles of each half of each book and wondering about the originators of the quotes:

Runes of the Earth

Part 1 -- "Chosen For This Desecration" (Lord Foul, I'm sure)
Part 2 -- "The Only Form of Innocence" (?)

Fatal Revenant

Part 1 -- "Lest You Prove Unable to Serve Me" (?)
Part 2 -- "Victims and Enactors of Despite" (?)

That's assuming these lines were in fact spoken by someone in the narrative. I may be wrong.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Part 1 of ROTE comes from TWL, chapter 15. Gibbon to Linden:
You have been especially chosen for this desecration.
Part 1 of FR comes from ROTE, Part 1 chapter 6. Lord Foul to Linden:
You must be restored, lest you prove unable to serve me.
I'll work on finding the other sources.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Part 2 of FR comes from WGW, Chapter 15 - Enactors or Desecration. Kevin to Linden:
"We are kindred in our way — the victims and enactors of Despite. You must heed me. Do not credit that you may exercise choice here. The Land's need admits no choice. You must heed me. Must!"
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
largo
Servant of the Land

Post by largo »

Thanks guys! Good work. I see I was wrong about even the first one. Now we just need the second part of ROTE.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:Part 2 of FR comes from WGW, Chapter 15 - Enactors or Desecration. Kevin to Linden:
"We are kindred in our way — the victims and enactors of Despite. You must heed me. Do not credit that you may exercise choice here. The Land's need admits no choice. You must heed me. Must!"
Beat me to it. I can't find "The Only Form of Innocence." Will keep looking.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Part 2 of FR comes from WGW, Chapter 15 - Enactors or Desecration. Kevin to Linden:
I don't know if this will help the search...but in my head, the whole line is something like " only form of innocence is impotence" ...and it comes from TC's mouth...but I might be confused.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Vraith wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
I don't know if this will help the search...but in my head, the whole line is something like " only form of innocence is impotence" ...and it comes from TC's mouth...but I might be confused.
Vraith is right. It's from that quote which, I think (although I'm not sure), Covenant says on the second time Linden goes to Haven farm in TWL
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Close. The quote is from Daughter, the first chapter of TWL, but the words are spoken by Dr. Berenford, referring to the townsfolk:
Ignorance is the only form of innocence they understand.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
largo
Servant of the Land

Post by largo »

Beautiful. Thanks again everyone. Now, as of today, we have two more quotes from AATE:

Part 1 -- "To Achieve the Ruin of the Earth"

Part 2 -- "Only the Damned"

I actually remember where the second quote comes from. This one, like "the only form of innocence", is I think also from Dr. Berenford, when he's talking to Linden about Covenant's novel. He summarizes it by quipping, "Only the damned can be saved."

Not sure about the first, though it sounds like it comes from the Elohim, the Haruchai, or Lord Foul.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

largo wrote:Beautiful. Thanks again everyone. Now, as of today, we have two more quotes from AATE:

Part 1 -- "To Achieve the Ruin of the Earth"

I actually remember where the second quote comes from. This one, like "the only form of innocence", is I think also from Dr. Berenford, when he's talking to Linden about Covenant's novel. He summarizes it by quipping, "Only the damned can be saved."

Not sure about the first, though it sounds like it comes from the Elohim, the Haruchai, or Lord Foul.
I believe the first comes from a quote something like "you are being forged, as iron is forged, to achieve the ruin of the earth"...maybe Gibbon?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, rd. TWL, Chapter 15: Because You Can See. Nasty raver to Linden.
"You have been especially chosen for this desecration. You are being forged as iron is forged to achieve the ruin of the Earth."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

How convenient, I was just wondering about all of these :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Great thread! It's nice to have those quotes and their context all in one place. However, isn't it kind of a spoiler to give the AATE ones?

Anyway, to put it all in one post:

Runes of the Earth
Part 1 -- "Chosen For This Desecration" [TWL, chapter 15. Gibbon to Linden: You have been especially chosen for this desecration.]

Part 2 -- "The Only Form of Innocence" [first chapter of TWL, Dr. Berenford, referring to the townsfolk: Ignorance is the only form of innocence they understand.]

Fatal Revenant

Part 1 -- "Lest You Prove Unable to Serve Me" [ROTE, Part 1 chapter 6. Lord Foul to Linden: You must be restored, lest you prove unable to serve me.]

Part 2 -- "Victims and Enactors of Despite" [WGW, Chapter 15 - Enactors of Desecration. Kevin to Linden: "We are kindred in our way — the victims and enactors of Despite.]

AATE:

Part 1 -- "To Achieve the Ruin of the Earth" [TWL, Chapter 15: Because You Can See. Raver to Linden: "You have been especially chosen for this desecration. You are being forged as iron is forged to achieve the ruin of the Earth."]

So that leaves just the last one. Which, if I'm not mistaken, I think was a song title from the 80s band, Journey, right? 8)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Only the damned know that only the dead know Brooklyn.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

From AATE itself (chapter 4), "Only the Damned" was explained as a quote from Berenford when he was describing the meaning of Covenant's book. The rest of the quote is, "... can be saved."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”