Kasreyn's Equipment

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Kasreyn's Equipment

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I wonder what happened to all of Kasreyn's equipment, materials, and lore once he was defeated? Surely the gaddhi didn't melt it down for mere ornamental decorations--it was much too useful for that. The One Tree doesn't mention that he had apprentices but the likelihood that someone else could begin following or developing Kasreyn's lore--which appears to be completely different than the lore anyone else uses--is a wonderful subject of speculation.

Naturally, the ultimate source of the power in his artifacts would be Earthpower but he can't be the only person in the world to study this particular lore, can he?

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Kasreyn's Equipment

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I wonder what happened to all of Kasreyn's equipment, materials, and lore once he was defeated? Surely the gaddhi didn't melt it down for mere ornamental decorations--it was much too useful for that. The One Tree doesn't mention that he had apprentices but the likelihood that someone else could begin following or developing Kasreyn's lore--which appears to be completely different than the lore anyone else uses--is a wonderful subject of speculation.

Naturally, the ultimate source of the power in his artifacts would be Earthpower but he can't be the only person in the world to study this particular lore, can he?

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that Kasreyn was "a thaumaturge"? Implying there are others like him?
Spoiler
As to no one else using his lore, I feel confident that the demimages of Videk Amar will prove similar to the Kemper...if and when they appear in the text. I bet Jerrick's lore will be similar to Kasreyn's, probably using metals such as pure gold.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

That is the word that was used, yes. Thaumaturge, of course, has Greek origins and means "worker of wonders" or "worker of miracles" so that description fits Kasreyn exactly. I suspect that there are others like him who have developed a lore of their own but we may not meet them.

I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the other names you mention.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I believe 'Against All Things Ending' makes some mention of Kasreyne's origins (though I can't remember for the life of me what they were and wouldn't be alowed to say what they were in this forum even if I could!), and so yes - the implication is that he did indeed come from some other group of 'lorewise' individuals. It's certainly a fair question to ask what became of his matereals after his demise - perhaps the best answer I can give is to refer you to Wayfriends short story (or the first part of it at least... hint, hint, Wayfriend!) 'Nom's Garden' to be found in the..... Damn, I've forgotten that as well - Well, somewhere on the Watch. It doesn't exactly answer the question but it does make for good reading.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
mcnpauls
Stonedownor

Post by mcnpauls »

First chapter of AATE says of Lord Foul:
Spoiler
"Earlier still, he spent an age of failure with the cunning folk who would one day give birth to Kasreyn of the Gyre."

They must have been a formidable people.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I thought the the whole Sandhold was brought down...(careful with the AATE spoilers guys)
fall far and well Pilots!
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I was going to get Against All Things Ending for myself for Christmas but I didn't do it. My plan is to go get it this weekend, though.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

danlo wrote:I thought the the whole Sandhold was brought down...(careful with the AATE spoilers guys)
What he said. Topics like these seem to be particularly suspectible to AATE spoilers (it's like I'm working overtime to blot them out!). Since Hashi hasn't read AATE yet, it'd be good to restrain yourselves a little bit.

I'm also thinking of moving this topic to the AATE forum as a result, but I'll leave that up to the OP at the moment.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No, there probably isn't any need to move this thread. Having not read AATE, I would have no way of knowing whether or not any backstory of Kasreyn, a charcter from The One Tree, or any information about his lore and/or equipment could be covered.

If my question is answered in AATE, then the only thing else that needs to be said is "go read AATE".
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Orlion wrote:
danlo wrote:I thought the the whole Sandhold was brought down...(careful with the AATE spoilers guys)
What he said. Topics like these seem to be particularly suspectible to AATE spoilers (it's like I'm working overtime to blot them out!). Since Hashi hasn't read AATE yet, it'd be good to restrain yourselves a little bit.

I'm also thinking of moving this topic to the AATE forum as a result, but I'll leave that up to the OP at the moment.
I blocked mine out! :D :)
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Orlion wrote:

I blocked mine out! :D :)
That you did :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:No, there probably isn't any need to move this thread. Having not read AATE, I would have no way of knowing whether or not any backstory of Kasreyn, a charcter from The One Tree, or any information about his lore and/or equipment could be covered.

If my question is answered in AATE, then the only thing else that needs to be said is "go read AATE".
Well the answer to what happens to Kasreyn's lore or equipment, or indeed to the brathairian society, is not really dealt with in AATE.
However you should still read it :P

From my interpretations of the 2nd Chrons, Kasreyn may well have been the only lore-wise individual in the city. If there were others, there would be a real chance they would realise that he controlled the hustin, and if they were clever enough would even be able to take control of them.. He never seemed to encourage interest in his field of any others either.. And as he had the Croyel sustaining him, I doubt he would have had need to train anyone else to take over one day..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I am currently reading Against All Things Ending but haven't gotten very far into it yet.

I suspect that even if there were other lore-wise people in Brathairrealm, they would probably be wise enough not to challenge Kasreyn and/or to stay out of his way.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I am currently reading Against All Things Ending but haven't gotten very far into it yet.

I suspect that even if there were other lore-wise people in Brathairrealm, they would probably be wise enough not to challenge Kasreyn and/or to stay out of his way.
Yeah. Dude had the little bugger on his back, probably drinking his blood from time to time
Spoiler
just like Jeremiah's did, except
Kasreyn was awake and aware and let it!

Brrrr....... :(
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

IMHO when the Kempers pitch collapsed it took its contents with it. Quite possible it was bound to Kasreyn's existence in the same way underworld was to the Lady in the Green Kirdle in C.S. Lewis's 'The Silver Chair' and Mordor in LOTR
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
feanor
Woodhelvennin

Post by feanor »

Thorhammerhand wrote:IMHO when the Kempers pitch collapsed it took its contents with it. Quite possible it was bound to Kasreyn's existence in the same way underworld was to the Lady in the Green Kirdle in C.S. Lewis's 'The Silver Chair' and Mordor in LOTR
Ayup All...

I think that as Kasreyn's Ocular setup caused the Wild Magic to spiral out of control, it was Utterly Destroyed by it. After all, it destroyed Kempers Pitch !
Nekrimah !

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”