discussion from SRD GEN regarding possible spoiler on GI

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

discussion from SRD GEN regarding possible spoiler on GI

Post by Usivius »

MOD EDIT: possible The Last Dark spoilers. Read at your own risk

I had just read this and was doing my "copy/paste" action when I saw your post.
Shocked me too.
I can only think that he, too, was being tongue-in-cheek, as he has plainly stated in the past that such questions are no longer relevant as it is a 'given' that the land is 'real'.
I think SRD is just stoking the fires...
;)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

SRD wrote:
I'll restrict myself to a short answer. Once you accept the notion that all of these characters find their genesis in Covenant's mind , the explanation is clear. Naturally they know all the words he knows.

(01/12/2011)

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Creator wrote:An Interesting GI - what might it suggest?!
Ian Boulton wrote:Hi Steve,

.. How come the people of the land have a command of vocabulary that's almost as good as yours? Cord Bhapa just used the word "guerdon" and I bet he doesn't have a copy of The Oxford English Dictionary. Or even one of your American Webster ones!...

SRD wrote:
I'll restrict myself to a short answer. Once you accept the notion that all of these characters find their genesis in Covenant's mind , the explanation is clear. Naturally they know all the words he knows.

(01/12/2011)
Now here, by the end of the Second Chronicles, I thought the Land was patently 'real' and external from Covenant ... What might this suggest for the Last Dark?!
I read that...and got a bit worried.
Off the top of my head, 3 possibilities, the first I hate:
It is a "just a dream" parallel/scenario in the end.
The second I'm not in love with, but could be OK depending how it works:
Genesis is an interesting word choice in this context, so perhaps it wasn't real, but in cooperation/relation/symbiosis...maybe even identity...with the Creator, it is now.
The third I most like:
The statement isn't as simple as it seems/is misdirection/only partial, and there are some surprises coming. [thematic ones, not just incidents that happen].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I think he's said something like that in the past, maybe not worded quite that way, but that basically translation etc etc takes care of language so forth and so on...

He was probably just being brusque.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If it's misdirection on SRD's part, it wouldn't be the first time.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Hi everyone, I'm going to lock this thread. Please continue your discussion of this in kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20439

Return to “Against All Things Ending”